Taxi just as easy as transfers?

Carnival Game

I'm sailing on the Victory on May 11. For my other two cruises (which were several years ago) I used the Carnival transfers, but this time I decided to take a taxi because it's a bit cheaper. I'm getting nervous now. Do I just ask the driver to take me to the Carnival section of the cruise port? And when I get there, will there be signs directing me where to enter for the Victory? How do I know who to leave my luggage with? Do the guys at the port take luggage for ALL the ships and then sort it out or do I have to find people handling specifically for the Victory?

I'm sailing on the Victory on May 11. For my other two cruises (which were several years ago) I used the Carnival transfers, but this time I decided to take a taxi because it's a bit cheaper. I'm getting nervous now. Do I just ask the driver to take me to the Carnival section of the cruise port? Just tell the cabbie to take you to Carnival Victory. He'll know exactly where to go....he's made the trip a zillion times!.And when I get there, will there be signs directing me where to enter for the Victory? You'll see the doors...if not, follow the crowd or ask a porter. How do I know who to leave my luggage with? You'll see the porters putting luggage in bins. The cabbie will most likely drop you off close to the luggage bins. Do the guys at the port take luggage for ALL the ships and then sort it out or do I have to find people handling specifically for the Victory? You'll be dropped off at the Victory area, but you can always just ask the porter so you'll know for sure.

HTH and enjoy your cruise!!

Yes, just tell your taxi driver to take you to the Carnival Victory cruiseport. He/she will know just where to drop you off. The porters are right there when you get out of the taxi. They will take your luggage and direct you which way to go. Don't worry, it will all be good.

Enjoy!

I agree with everyone here, however in Jacksonville, I got a new cabbie who didn't know where the cruise port was!!! Had to call dispatch for directions, his thingy that tells you where you are wasn't working....PIA...anyway we got there just with a 15 minute detour to who know where...:eek:

One other thing...I understand the fare is $24. We'll have two fairly large bags. Do you think the cabbie expects $30 or is $28 enough? I don't mean to quibble over a few dollars but we have to tip the porters too and I just want to be prepared.

Does anyone know how much it would cost for a cab from orlando airport to port canaveral??

Ahh, one of the two exceptions to the rule (Galveston being the other).

Don't even think about taking a taxi from Orland to Port Canaveral. Rent a car, book a private transfer or use Carnivals.

Unless dropping a c note each way doesn't bother you.

Cabs are definitely cheaper. For the price of one person on a Carnival transfer, you can usually get a cab for 2+ people for that same price.

There are cabs everywhere when you get out of the airport and off the ship. When we disembarked in San Juan, our porter took us right to a waiting taxi. We didn't even have to do that on our own! :)

We just told the driver that we were sailing on the Destiny. He knew right where to take us.

Ahh, one of the two exceptions to the rule (Galveston being the other).

Don't even think about taking a taxi from Orland to Port Canaveral. Rent a car, book a private transfer or use Carnivals.

Unless dropping a c note each way doesn't bother you.

If I used a Carnival transfer, do we have to wait for the shuttle to fill up?

Would the shuttle let us stop at a convenience store to pick up stuff (i.e., water, soda), and we have a 12:05 flight home, would they be able to get to the airport on time? Sorry for all the questions, (beleive me there will be more) but this is my 1st cruise. Thanks:)

If I used a Carnival transfer, do we have to wait for the shuttle to fill up? Yes.

Would the shuttle let us stop at a convenience store to pick up stuff (i.e., water, soda), No and we have a 12:05 flight home, would they be able to get to the airport on time? We used a private shuttle...not sure about Carnival's. I think it would be close. Sorry for all the questions, (beleive me there will be more) but this is my 1st cruise. Thanks:)

Hope this helps!!

carnival transfers are not going to let you off to shop. They are going to try to be full or close to it before they leave and then they will take the group directly to the pier. Nothing fancy, but it works.

I am looking at a cruise on the Victory also but in June and was wondering the same thing. I wasn't sure how much it would be to take a cab for 2 people and luggage from Lagardia (sp) to the port. I did read on a couple of sites that they charge a certain rate plus tolls and tip. I wasn't sure how much the tolls would be but I did read somewhere that a 15 to 20 percent tip would be fine.

Can anyone help we with this as this would be my first cruise out of NY.

Sue

:D :D

HTH and enjoy your cruise!!

countdown.pl?name=FAMILY VACATION CANADA&date=6-23-2008&image=australia&text=&ship=Carnival Victory

ME, MY HUSBAND, 12 YR OLD DAUGHTER AND 13 YR OLD FRIEND LEAVE ON VICTORY JUNE 23RD FOR 5 NIGHT CRUISE TO CANADA FROM MANHATTAN PORT...CAN NOT WAIT!!!!

IS IT DIFFICULT TO GET CAB FROM NEWARK AIRPORT TO THE MANHATTAN PORT? THERE WILL BE 3 OF US GIRLS AND MY HUSBAND....DO YOU THINK WE CAN FIT 6 MED TO LG SUITCASES AND ALL 4 OF US IN A CAB?

I'm from New Jersey and visit NYC every other weekend, the cabs are lined up outside the terminal going into Manhattan. Most of the cabs at EWR are from NYC. This is how they make the majority of their money going between NYC and the airports. I take the local route (1 & 9) after I get off the NJTPK at exit #11. This takes you past EWR and there's almost the same number of cabs as private vehicles going into NYC from NJ at the Holland and Lincoln Tunnels on some days. Don't worry, enjoy your cruise. As a note, NJ Transit and several bus lines offer bus service from EWR into Manhattan.

If I used a Carnival transfer, do we have to wait for the shuttle to fill up?

The one and only time we used Carnival transfers, we waited almost two hours at the airport waiting for other people. Not fun. Even if the taxi were slightly more $$, it would be worth the cost of being on YOUR schedule, not someone elses...

My second choice would be the shuttles, but they are GREAT for families with a lot of luggage that would not fit in a single taxi.

Archived