Do You Really Want to Cruise With 5000 Others?

These Mega Monsters don't excite me. I declined the opportunity to cruise the Freedom and chose the Mariner instead. Not saying I won't try it. I'll try anything once (I think). I just cringe at the thought of all the people in the ports. 5000 ppl at a time :eek: Some of those isalnds don't have populations of 5000 do they:confused:

Depends on how what I'm looking for when I book my cruise vacation. If I need to get away from all the "chaos" at home, I'll book a smaller ship. But if I just feel like an adventure, I'll choose a bigger ship. On the Explorer, I've never felt like it was crowded. But I DEFINITELY want to be on the Genesis ship, or whatever they're gonna call it.

Hi Critters!

Taking all our cruises into consideration, the largest ship that we've been on is the Voyager of the Seas. It accommodated just a little under 4000 guests. We personally like the smaller size ships that hold under 3000

And when you sail on Freedom you will be a "vacationer"? ;)

I still be a cruiser because I do cruiser things. As much as I am an RCI freak and I sail about 4 times per year this is the first time I am on the Freedom. Just when the Freedom Class opened I said that one day I will sail the Freedom when there is nothing better out there. Here I am.

Heck, I've been on the Voyager Class before that resembles somewhat of a cruise ship.

If someone says to me: I give you free cruise, but you choose which one and the selection would be:

7-Night on the Freedom Class

7-Night on the Voyager Class

6-Night on the Radiance Class

5-Night on a Vision Class

I would pick either the Radiance or Vision Class.

The Voyager Class resembles a cruise ship. It still has all main ingredients of the typical cruise ship: sun deck, promenade deck etc ... just typical places where you can feel like a cruiser. Plus you can still feel the ocean once in a while.

The RP is an added benefit which I enjoy once in a while. But you most likely won't find me very often there (unless its for 4am sandwiches and pizza, the pub or the occasional cappuccino plus the parades). I do enjoy 70s night on the Royal Promenade just as much as in the Viking Crown Lounge (Vision Class). I would almost say that 70s night is much better in the Lounge.

I didn't say I will never sail Genesis. One day I will, just like the Freedom. Gotta go through all the ship classes eventually.

But I am certainly much less enthused sailing Genesis as I was before but much more excited that it will split the passengers of RCI. :D

Taking all our cruises into consideration, the largest ship that we've been on is the Voyager of the Seas. It accommodated just a little under 4000 guests. We personally like the smaller size ships that hold under 3000

It's nice to see so many posters who think like I do.

:D

No, I will probably not sail on the Genesis class. We love the Radiance class; they are a great size and you know you are on a ship. I love the glass elevators in the Centrum. We will be sailing on Explorer in September and I am afraid I won't like it as much because it is bigger and more enclosed. The Royal Promenade sounds like a mall and I can go to a mall when I am at home.

Do You Really Want to Cruise With 5000 Others?

I just cruise with my DW and we have a great time. The rest of the world doesn't exist. ;) One waiter, one cabin attendant and the occasional converstation with other cruisers...:p ... on a cruise we don't hurry or worry so the size really doesn't matter. :cool:

On the other hand, Splendour is our favorte ship (Vision class) :) for lots of reasons.

Genesis might be too small!!

I might wait for this one!!

Gigantic Cruise Ship Planned

Ships may be getting bigger, but a new cruise ship planned for Japanese owners will dwarf anything in service today. Princess Kaguya is described as an 'International Urban Cruise Ship' and will be 500 m long with over 20 decks. The 370,000gt vessel will be able to accommodate 8,400 passengers and 4,000 crew, with cabins being housed in three hotel blocks.

I am happy to see a thread about NOT wanting to cruise on Genesis. I was wondering if there was anyone out there who is not chomping at the bit to book this monster.

I have been on a ship that held 800 passengers and on Freedom that holds 3000+ and I would take the small ship any day. I will most likely cruise on Genesis once the hype dies down for my kids sake but will stick with Voyager class and lower.

My DH and I are doing a Sovereign Class next summer without the kids since the ship is to small and boring for them. Their loss and my gain!!

I still want a Vision Class though which I think will be my ultimate favorite with the best of both worlds.

I am happy to see a thread about NOT wanting to cruise on Genesis. I was wondering if there was anyone out there who is not chomping at the bit to book this monster.

I have been on a ship that held 800 passengers and on Freedom that holds 3000+ and I would take the small ship any day. I will most likely cruise on Genesis once the hype dies down for my kids sake but will stick with Voyager class and lower.

My DH and I are doing a Sovereign Class next summer without the kids since the ship is to small and boring for them. Their loss and my gain!!

I still want a Vision Class though which I think will be my ultimate favorite with the best of both worlds.

There are plenty of us out there (of course cruisinmama will say "but we got more").

I just did the Sovereign in April. I loved it. I loved it so much that I am flying allll the way across the US to do a Monarch before she leaves LA.

Looking forward to the Majesty in October. Have been on her the last time before she went into refurb. Sandwiched in between is the Freedom. But she is only an afterthought. :D

Probably more. And that is good. RCI has now a place for all of us. I like that.

You seem to make a contest out of this one.

That's all I have been saying all along. It's nice that RCCL has so many choices to keep everyone happy.

It's not a contest. And believe me, I didn't post this thread in "critterville" you are welcome to check my posting history. ;) It's just that there are many CRUISERS who are happy to sail on Genesis. It doesn't make them a different class from you. I keep seeing the "Vacationer" verses the "Cruiser" terms being thrown around.

Why does there need to be separate classes of "us" verses "them" all of a sudden? We are all out for one thing, to be on a ship. We just happen to be on a bigger ship.

Happy sailing. :D

That's all I have been saying all along. It's nice that RCCL has so many choices to keep everyone happy.

It's not a contest. And believe me, I didn't post this thread in "critterville" you are welcome to check my posting history. ;) It's just that there are many CRUISERS who are happy to sail on Genesis. It doesn't make them a different class from you. I keep seeing the "Vacationer" verses the "Cruiser" terms being thrown around.

Why does there need to be separate classes of "us" verses "them" all of a sudden? We are all out for one thing, to be on a ship. We just happen to be on a bigger ship.

Happy sailing. :D

Actually the term 'vacationer' was thrown around by RCI executives a few months ago and recently again. It's not an invention which the mean FL_Cruiser64 or others came up with.

The word 'vacationer' derives from the fact that RCI and Carnival admitted that they are not in competition with each other but rather land based resorts, Disney etc. Both said independently that they are going after the vacationers rather than the traditional cruisers from the other cruise line.

I just happen to agree with them.

We've dodged the Freedom class so far because we thought it might be too big for us to enjoy. Not so much because we think we might be crowded on board. RCI ships do a great job of dispersing crowds we think. It's the embarkation/disembarkation times that we wonder about.

So, we're still getting our minds around our excitement when a CC friend talked us into sailing Genesis in July of 2010 just by running the renderings by us. We're still leery of the on/off stuff, but we've got to see something like this for ourselves.

Commedian on board the Serenade last month: "Hey, did you all hear about the new ship Royal Caribbean is building? That thing is going to be so big that you just step aboard in Florida, walk to the other end and you're in Nassau! Don't like the weather on the Helipad? Walk back to the sports deck and the temperature will change 15 degrees."

Actually the term 'vacationer' was thrown around by RCI executives a few months ago and recently again. It's not an invention which the mean FL_Cruiser64 or others came up with.

The word 'vacationer' derives from the fact that RCI and Carnival admitted that they are not in competition with each other but rather land based resorts, Disney etc. Both said independently that they are going after the vacationers rather than the traditional cruisers from the other cruise line.

I just happen to agree with them.

I understand that but it's not like us CRUISERS here at CC suddenly became "vacationers" (like it's a derogatory term...lol) when we decided to do Genesis.

See how bplazo put it? She doesn't use the ammenities and likes to visit smaller islands so Genesis is not a good fit for her family. That makes sense. :) And she doesn't feel the need to divide everyone into cruisers and non-cruisers.

BTW FLCruiser - I still say GREEN

Can you imagine how it would be to get off the ship. Most of the ports will have to be tendered due to the size. Eventually there will be ports big enough but still gettin on and off will be the nightmare.

Brenda and Bob

Peoria, AZ

Archived