Tipping - again

tin4me

OK, its our first real cruise -- I've read through a lot of the threads on tipping and want to make sure I understand how this will work:

We're on Galaxy transatlantic May '08. I thought I read somewhere that they automatically take $10/$10.50 pppd and post it to our account - and that we had to make application to have it removed. Is this not so?

Seems from the threads that they give out envelopes to be used for gratuities and handed out last night - or are they for that which is above the auto debit (if there is such a thing).

We had already counted on the auto debit!

Waiting with bated breath,

tin4me

I'll try to help...

On Celebrity, tipping is added to an account with the guest's consent (auto tipping). You can either do auto-tipping, self tipping, or even auto tipping and then give additional amounts to the staff you select that gave you great service.

In my three cruises with X, I have only once been given the coupons to give to the staff that show you participated in the auto-tipping. They, do know, however, toward the end of the cruise who participated. You can slip these into the envelopes and hand them to the staff on the last night.

What X does not do is automatically include the auto tipping on your onboard account. You will be clear once on board as the paperwork to participate in provided as well as instructions.

Enjoy your cruise.

P.S. I did forget one thing......if you booked through X (I'm not certain if you can do this with TAs) you can include the auto-tipping when you book the cruise.

If you do the pre-paid gratuities you will get a card on the last night for each person you are to leave a tip. It will state that you have prepaid your tips and you place these in the envelopes your cabin steward will leave in the room. You can add extra tips, if you deem appropriate, a couple of days before the last night or you can simply add extra cash to the envelopes before handing them out. At least that is what has happened on the last 3 cruises we did with X. We usually always add extra for the cabin stewards and the waiters as they "work hard for the money" and we appreciate their extra touches.

My last 2 cruises were on HAL and I found out that if you added an extra amount for tips to your auto tip amount that it is divided amongst everyone who gets in on the tip pool, but if you hand extra money directly to your waiter or room steward they can keep it for themselves and not have to share. Is this also true on X?

Celebrity is now allowing you to add more to the standard tips, if you want to, and put it all on your SeaPass. On Mercury in Jan. we were given pre-printed Thank You notes from each staff member thanking us for the tips. No vouchers or envelopes to give out--they already knew the tips had been paid.

Fellow cruisers had experienced this on their Sept. '07 cruise, too.

I don't know if all X ships are doing this, but I think it is the norm now.

Yes, you can pre pay your gratuities if you use a travel agent. We always do.

You don't need to have your travel agent arrange it. You can do it onboard by going to Guest Relations. I think the "offer" closes a couple of days before the end of the cruise, but the daily will advise you of the cut off time.

Phil

Archived