lephysteria

Taken from

http://news.yahoo.com/s/aviation/airlineswinbigonthosewhooverpack

:)

George Hobica

Airfarewatchdog.com

Aviation.com

2 hours, 17 minutes ago

Whether traveling for business or pleasure, airline passengers might want to think twice about how much they bring along for the ride, starting next month.

Five of the seven major US airlines (Continental, Delta, Northwest, United, and US Air) plan to charge most customers $25 each way to check a second bag starting May 5. Of the largest carriers, only American and Southwest have decided not to go along - for now. Airtran is adding a $10 second bag fee for travel on or after May 15. Spirit Airlines already had a $10 fee if paid online, or $20 at the airport.

But the new fees do not apply to all passengers, advises Airfarewatchdog.com. Those buying first-class or business-class tickets, or flying on frequent flyer awards in those classes, will typically be exempt, as will frequent-flyer program members who have achieved upper tiers with their airlines (such as United Mileage Plus Premier customers). Military personnel flying "with orders" are off the hook.

These fees are in addition to those for excess, oversized and overweight bags, so a passenger traveling on United, for example, with three checked bags weighing 50 pounds or less will be charged $25 for the second but $100 for the third.

But if any of the three bags tips the scale at 51 pounds or more, overweight charges of an additional $100 per bag, each way, kick in. So unless otherwise exempt, a passenger flying roundtrip on United with three bags weighing just a pound over the 50-pound limit would be charged $200 for the first ($100 overweight fee each way), $250 for the second (second bag fee of $25 times two plus overweight fee of $100 times two), and $400 for the third (a $100 third bag fee times two plus a $100 overweight fee times two), for a total - fasten your seat belts - of $850.

Keep in mind that these are domestic fees, and international charges may be higher, depending on destination.

A better way

There must be a better way, and there is: UPS, US Postal Service, or FedEx. Flying from your home in Manhattan to a convention in Long Beach? UPS will send your 51 pounds of trade-show samples each way for $59.34, when last checked at ups.com, with four-day service. Or ship that 60-pound suitcase from Miami to San Francisco for $63.78 each way.

Not only will you avoid having to lug your luggage through endless airport concourses, but chances are that UPS will do a better job of not losing your shipment than your airline will (and if UPS does misplace it, at least the company will feel bad about it.)

Although Pete Mitchell, director of business-to-business sales for the luggage manufacturer Samsonite, told the New York Times he often travels with one-of-a-kind items because he is reluctant to send them via a shipping service, he probably didn't read the fine print in his airline's lost-and-damaged-luggage policy. Airline policies don't cover business samples and trade-show materials if something goes amiss. They're in the same category as cash, valuables, jewelry, and electronics.

What airline baggage policies don't cover

At least when you ship FedEx or UPS, you can declare a higher value and insure your business items. In fact, before you pack for your next flight, it's a good idea to have a look at what your airline will not take responsibility for should your checked bags be lost or damaged. Here's American's list, for example, which is pretty standard for the industry:

"Antiques, artifacts, artwork, books and documents, china, computers and other electronic equipment, computer software, fragile items (including child/infant restraint devices such as strollers and car seats), eyeglasses, prescription sunglasses, non-prescription sunglasses and all other eyewear and eye/vision devices whether lenses are glass, plastic, or some other material, furs, heirlooms, items carried in the passenger compartment of the aircraft, liquids, medicines, money, perishable items, photographic, video and optical equipment, precious metals, stones or jewelry, securities and negotiable papers, silverware, samples, unique or irreplaceable items or any other similar valuable items."

Note the "samples" bit, all you road warriors.

United excludes these items as well, and also mentions "business effects" in its disclaimer - which probably includes your press kits and all those fridge magnets you were going to give away at the trade show.

So tell your airline "No, thanks," next time it tries to hit you with baggage fees. Plan ahead, tell your hotel (or branch office or family) that you're expecting a shipment and to hold it until your arrival, and save yourself some money and a backache.

Top 10 Most Obnoxious Hidden Airline Fees

What to Do when an Airline Loses Your Luggage

The Top 10 Things Travel Insurance Doesn't Cover

Original Story: Airlines Win Big on Those who Overpack

Visit Aviation.com, the new one-stop destination for business fliers, commercial travelers, industry analysts and aviation buffs.

Yikes!!! I always say that I'm not going to take so much, but it seems I still do every time. We'll be flying this August, and I'm determined to get by on one bag apiece (UNDER 50 lb), and one carry-on. Last trip, I brought back WAY too many clothes that were never worn.

Well since I almost always fly southwest, I am happy to see they havent followed suit yet. I dont mind the other airlines charging just $10 but $25 seems high to me...thank goodness I have never travelled with more than two bags...I could do one but then I am over the 50 lbs limit!

Continental announced the extra bag charge on April 5th. If you booked before then you are exempt. I have never been so happy to have booked so far ahead in my life. :p Booked airfare for our Feb 2009 cruise several days before the announcement. :cool:

Taken from

Thanks so much for that updated news. I am learning to pack lighter but it is really hard when doing the longer cruises and B2B's. :o

I was never a wear something twice person, but I will be now. :D

And, "Congratulations" on the latest news that "little beanlette" is a boy!

I look forward to seeing all of your pictures. ;)

I flew AirTran last week for my Enchantment cruise. They are still allowing a second piece of luggage, but I did not want the hassle of dealing with two pieces. My suitcase was over 50 pounds, so I had to pay $25 each way.

This is just getting out of control, I cannot pack everything I need for 8+ nights in one bag and a carry-on.

###

we are going to have to do it for a months visit to your shores.:eek:

i am thinking of buying all my toiletries when i get there and dumping them before i return home.

how else am i going to get all my mickey stuff and all my xmas decorations home,:D

Next thing is we'll be standing on a scale and charged by our weight per lb even if we only need one seat.

I'll pay the extra money for the second suitcase for one of us. DH always packs light. Will try to pack smarter but I always say that as I keep adding more things.

Instead of usual one carry on bag may be bringing 2 of them on-board.

It would be so much easier if no sport coats/dresses etc, just casual wear.

I guess you do what you have to do...

Laura

This is just getting out of control, I cannot pack everything I need for 8+ nights in one bag and a carry-on.

###

I guess it becomes a decision of which is less expensive. Pay the $25.00 per bag charge each way or pay to have your clothes washed on the ship. Somehow I think that it would be less expensive to pack lighter and let the ship take care of the laundry.:) Luckily we are driving to Miami in November for the Freedom so we do not have to worry about it this time.

Skybus from Richmond also charges $12 per bag! :D
Skybus no longer charges for anything. They went out of business a couple of weeks ago.

But, last I had heard they were charging $10 per bag for the first 2 bags.

Charlie

I guess it becomes a decision of which is less expensive. Pay the $25.00 per bag charge each way or pay to have your clothes washed on the ship. Somehow I think that it would be less expensive to pack lighter and let the ship take care of the laundry.:) Luckily we are driving to Miami in November for the Freedom so we do not have to worry about it this time.

No kidding!! My hubby stated that we will have to just take cruises out of CA so we can drive to the pier. Good thing the West Coast is getting the Mariner :D Just can't see doing that route over and over :eek:

Even with 6 bags we still used the laundry services onboard, they do a great job.

###

If the airlines are limiting people to one "free" bag I hope they start enforcing size and weight restrictions on carry-on items. I can see loading the plane taking an hour becuase of people trying to stuff oversized luggage into those overhead bins. I always fear someone struggling with their overloaded luggage is going to lose control and drop it on my head.

Oh how funny,,,

I did not even read your post...But from another full houser..."your in big trouble mister"

Besides my sister...Your the only other person I have ever heard say that!!

:D

I loooooved that show :)

Taken from

Thanks so much for that updated news. I am learning to pack lighter but it is really hard when doing the longer cruises and B2B's. :o

I was never a wear something twice person, but I will be now. :D

And, "Congratulations" on the latest news that "little beanlette" is a boy!

I look forward to seeing all of your pictures. ;)

Awwwwwwwww thank you :)

He's gunna look just like his dad :D

Oh... I should just put a sign up now that says "no girls allowed" LOL

Continental announced the extra bag charge on April 5th. If you booked before then you are exempt. I have never been so happy to have booked so far ahead in my life. :p Booked airfare for our Feb 2009 cruise several days before the announcement. :cool:

I have 2 cruises with booked airfare ( Continental) prior to the April 5th announcement. How will the person who checks your bags know you are exempt? This should be interesting!!!

If the airlines are limiting people to one "free" bag I hope they start enforcing size and weight restrictions on carry-on items. I can see loading the plane taking an hour becuase of people trying to stuff oversized luggage into those overhead bins. I always fear someone struggling with their overloaded luggage is going to lose control and drop it on my head.

Wear a hard hat.

I'm still ``weighing'' the expenses of packing lighter and pay for ship laundry vs taking an extra bag and paying the extra $25 fee for the bag.

DH & I are caught up in the mix in flights for our cruise leaving Sunday out of San Diego. We can check in two bags each free on our flight out to San Diego but will pay $25 each for the two extra bags when we fly home from San Diego as we fly home on May 5. This cruise is on Princess and we do plan to take our formal wear and want to make sure we have enough space in our luggage to bring home items we purchased for our family at home.

Our next two cruises are on NCL where formal wear isn't a big issue so we will probably lay back and let the ship's laundry help us out on luggage cost or just wear the same clothes over and over and take a bottle of Febreeze to help us out.:D

Dianne

All the airlines are doing is filling the overhead bins. For our last cruise (three of us) we had 2 suiters, 2 22" carry-ons and a garment bag as well as a laptop backpack and camera bag. So instead of checking 5 bags and carrying on a camera bag and backpack that fit under the seats, I will check three bags, put the 2 - 22" carry-ons in the overhead and the other two small bags under the seat.

I packed all 5 of us into 2 checked bags (50lbs. each) and everyone had their own backpack carry-on. I had two 13yo girls and a 10yo boy at the time. This was our very first cruise (7 nights) and 4 days at Disney prior plus 2 days of travel!!

I don't mean to be snippy if that's how this sounds, I am just wondering more so how everyone has such a hard time doing it? We did 2 nights of formals for everyone (the girls included 3 "just incase") DH and DS had suits. I don't get how one person needs so much?? I have to admit I thought at the time I had totally OVER packed, but the more I keep reading the more I am happy with myself.

I feel bad for all the husbands that have to lug all the wives bags around, while she is snapping through the airport for him to hurry up?

My rule was simple and applied to everyone in the house, if it didn't fit inside the backpack it didn't go, if the kids couldn't walk around the house (our trial run) for 20-30 min with it on without complaining it got emptied and re-packed to a lighter weight. The kids each brought hand held games, ipods and CD players, my pack included the portable DVD player and DH had the CD's and DVD's. And you know what, we had things we didn't even take out of the checked luggage the whole trip, so we overpacked.

I think if everyone just took a breathe and really thought it through, one checked bag and one carry-on is way more room than you need!!!

Good luck to all who rival this issue, on my last 2 cruises (alone, 5 nights) I have packed into one carry-on only, really, ask my travel companion!!!

Archived