Taking beverages "To Go" from Windjammer.

I'll be taking my first RCCL cruise in October and I was wondering if I could bring my own travel mug to take coffe or soda back to my room.

I dont want to violate any RCCL etiquette.

Also, since I NEED my cup of coffe 1st thing in the morning, do you think it would be ok for me to bring my 1 cup coffe maker? It has an auto shut off so as not to burn down the ship:D .

Any thoughts...

I'll be taking my first RCCL cruise in October and I was wondering if I could bring my own travel mug to take coffe or soda back to my room.

Also, since I NEED my cup of coffe 1st thing in the morning, do you think it would be ok for me to bring my 1 cup coffe maker? It has an auto shut off so as not to burn down the ship:D .

Any thoughts...

Just have room service bring you a pot of coffee at a time of your choosing. No charge for this service. We do it each morning. It is our wake up call to tell us it is on the way. Great to have that first cup on your balcony as you arrive in port...

Clathen,

My husband usually takes a travel mug for his coffee on Royal Carribean. Never been a problem. As for sodas, if you buy their soda package, they will provide you with a travel mug for your unlimited fountain sodas.

We will also order room service breakfast with coffee - then we keep the carafe the coffee comes in & he re-fills the carafe up in the windjammer to have in the stateroom.

shannon

In your room you will have a breakfast selection sheet that has to be on your door by 2 am for room service, just ask for coffee at 7 am and they will call you when its on its way. There is no soda in the Windjammer...( lemonade, ice tea, fruit punch or water ) You can buy a soda card to get soda if youd like.

No problem with bringing your own mug or cup. I take "to go" drinks from the Windjammer all the time.

In fact, I like to take my large mug/cup to the Windjammer when I eat b/c the glasses they provide are TINY and I have to interrupt my meal by going to get refills. So, yes, I definitely recommend taking your own big cup.

As far as coffee goes, I wouldn't bother with taking a coffee maker. Just order a caraffe of coffee from room service every morning. If you fill out the little request form and specify what time you'd like the coffee to arrive in the morning, then hang the form on the outside of your door before you go to bed, your fresh brew will arrive at your door with a smile.

Enjoy!!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't become an outcast for using my own mug. Room service is available pretty early so I shouldn't have a problem.

Happy sailing to all!

Any thoughts...

I find the best way to take multiple cups of anything from the windjammer is to put them onto a plate and walk them out.

No comment on the coffee maker thing....because I would consider doing it myself if travel conditions were "right"

Is there a reason they don't want you taking *water*?

I think it's that they don't want there to be cross contamination from your bottle to the dispenser and then to someone else. Like if you have norovirus but don't have symptoms yet, and your waterbottle just touched the dispenser, how many other people are going to get sick now?

btw, I thought RCI didn't allow you to bring your own coffee makers? I could be wrong but I'm about 95% sure. We too have brought our own coffee mugs and had no problem but we've be told to make the coffee in the cups provided and then pour into our travel mug. Staff even offered to do the pouring for us.

Is there a reason they don't want you taking *water*?

The concern is that some people will put their used water bottles right on the dispenser spout when refilling them. This is a great way to contaminate the spout. I see people doing it where I work as well. Some people just don't think or care about others.

Eric

That makes sense (thanks for all the replies). I thought they didn't want you to take the *water*. Didn't read the original post about it clearly enough. :D

This is good info to have, since I drink a lot of water. I'll make sure to bring a large bottle and fill it the proper way.

The idea behind the don't fill from the fountain or dispenser is...... Germs

You should first fill a cup or mug and then pour it into your personal container....

I always take an empty sports container with me on cruises, I even have a mesh carrying case for it that goes over my shoulder. I keep it filled with either iced tea or the delicious lemonade from the windjammer. I take about 3 or 4 glasses back to my table and pour them into it there. No one has ever said anything to me and waiters have even helped me carry the glasses back to the table. I even take the empty bottle to the dining room at night and have the bus boy fill it with iced tea when he has a chance. I tell him about it on the first night and just set it on the table each night, he always finds time to fill it for me during the meal.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't become an outcast for using my own mug. Room service is available pretty early so I shouldn't have a problem.

Happy sailing to all!

I'm a sailing newbie as well! Which Enchantment cruise are you going on in October? I'm doing the 5 night Western Caribbean on the 13th. I can't wait!!

I am a tea drinker and I like my tea first thing in the morning. Cruising, I'm not sure what time "first thing in the morning will be" so I don't want to fill out the breakfast order. Room service very busy in the morning delivering breakfasts so it can be 1/2 an hour or so to get your hot water order (and that is all I want, I'll eat breakfast later) plus, as someone mentioned, you should tip them a couple of bucks. So, I bring a travel coffee pot to heat my water in and a thermo cup to get refills in the Windjammer when I make it up there and to carry around the ship during the morning.

Tucker in Texas

Yes, you can bring drinks out of the WindJammer. We were one floor down, and we ran up and down the steps LOADS of times for drinks (and cookies) -- it was very convenient, and the WindJammer was open almost all day long. In fact, we never used room service because it was so close to our room.

Coffee: I don't drink it, but I think I'm telling the truth here. Cups were already on the table, and a woman walked around pouring for everyone. You should have no problem getting a cup "to go", but if I were a coffee drinker, I'd definitely do what others have suggested here: bring a big travel mug of your own. The cups are small, and you'd be very likely to spill in the hallways/elevators, especially if you're carrying a cup for yourself and your spouse. Actually, if I were a coffee drinker, I'd probably bring along a pack of those "disposable to go" cups with lids that you can buy at the grocery store -- that way I wouldn't have to wash the travel mug. I don't remember any throw-away cups onboard.

Tea, lemonade, water (and juice at breakfast only): On each side of the Windjammer there's a drink station manned by an attendant. He or she fills glasses and sets them out for you to take. You do not have the option to serve yourself. I think this has to do with sanitation. If you were to hand over a water bottle, however, the attendant would fill it. You can take extra juice, etc. back to your room and put it in your cabin cooler.

Sodas and alcoholic drinks: The first thing you'll see when you walk into the Windjammer is a bar. Of course, whatever you buy is yours to drink in the Windjammer or to carry back to your room.

I have been known to leave the Windjammer in the AM with some Orange Juice or Apple Juice to go back to the cabin (to be placed in the mini fridge) for DD for later in the day since the juice fountain is shut off after breakfast :eek: The OJ is also helpful for mixing with vodka later in the afternoon, but I didn't say that.. :)

Oh, on the COFFEE, I absolutely need one in the morning. I met the loveliest folks on the Enchantment a couple of weeks ago at 6am getting their java in the Pre-windjammer breakfast setup. I bring my insultated mug so that I can walk around the ship and say hello to the crew and catch the sunrise without worrying about spilling. Plus, those plastic Windjammer mugs just don't hold enough for me. I am a "let me have 2 cups and then I will talk to you" gal...

When I was on Explorer in 2005, they didn't have the mugs that go with the soda card. The first morning, early, my daughter went down to Cafe Promenade and asked them to fill one. They said they weren't allowed to do that. My daughter fixed her with a stare and said "you have NO idea what my mother is like without a cold drink in the morning, I am NOT going back there without it - so you can fill it for me, or I can ask for cup after cup and just dump in here, but it's getting filled one way or another" LOL - gotta love teens!

A waiter will be happy to fill it for you. Just take your bottle to the refreshment station and ask.:)

Archived