U.S. government plans to fingerprint foreign cruisers at terminals

jp2001

Fingerprints of foreign cruisers - What is your opinion  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Fingerprints of foreign cruisers - What is your opinion

• US Citizen - I agree with the policy, even if they would enforce it for US citizens too
    • US Citizen - I agree with the policy, as long as it is for foreigners only
    • US Citizen - I don't agree with this policy
    • Foreigner - I agree with the policy but they should enforce it for US citizens too
    • Foreigner - I agree with the policy as it is
    • Foreigner -I don't agree with this policy but it will not change my travel plans (I will comply)
    • Foreigner -I don't agree with this policy and I may change my travel plans (not sure I will comply)
    • Foreigner -I don't agree with this policy and I will change my travel plans (I won't comply)

Firstly the US is not the superpower it used to be in the good old days of the Cold War...those days are long gone, and rightly so.

Secondly, the UK has had more terrorist attacks in the last 40 years than the USA had in one day. I was less than 100 yards away from an IRA bomb explosion in London in the 1970's. The USA has had it good and you got COMPLACENT about your security...just as you did a mere 6 months after 9/11.

At the end of the day matey, the USA showed how impotent it really is on 9/11 and you can rant and rave as much as you like, you can call our sovereign whatever you like...but fundamentally one thing will never change....the USA was complacent & impotent before 9/11 and it is just as bad now...only this time it is cutting off the hand that feeds, namely tourists and legitimate businesses and their money.

The USA is a shadow of what it was, at one time other countries used to look up to the US and everything it stood for. Nowadays it is the joker of the pack with an inanely grinning president, destitute and desperate people who are waiting for years to get their homes back after a natural disaster, as I said before...get your own house in order before you start ordering anyone around.

It is shameful what the US authorities are thinking of, and they have the gaul to complain about China's human rights record when the US holds people without trial in Cuba just cos they are muslims.

Yeah...you rant all you want to. Keep on wearing the rose coloured glasses.

I could not agree with you more.

Firstly the US is not the superpower it used to be in the good old days of the Cold War...those days are long gone, and rightly so.

Secondly, the UK has had more terrorist attacks in the last 40 years than the USA had in one day. I was less than 100 yards away from an IRA bomb explosion in London in the 1970's. The USA has had it good and you got COMPLACENT about your security...just as you did a mere 6 months after 9/11.

At the end of the day matey, the USA showed how impotent it really is on 9/11 and you can rant and rave as much as you like, you can call our sovereign whatever you like...but fundamentally one thing will never change....the USA was complacent & impotent before 9/11 and it is just as bad now...only this time it is cutting off the hand that feeds, namely tourists and legitimate businesses and their money.

The USA is a shadow of what it was, at one time other countries used to look up to the US and everything it stood for. Nowadays it is the joker of the pack with an inanely grinning president, destitute and desperate people who are waiting for years to get their homes back after a natural disaster, as I said before...get your own house in order before you start ordering anyone around.

It is shameful what the US authorities are thinking of, and they have the gaul to complain about China's human rights record when the US holds people without trial in Cuba just cos they are muslims.

Yeah...you rant all you want to. Keep on wearing the rose coloured glasses.

Good point... we in the US certainly don't own the market on violent attacks by other countries, yet you don't see these nations treating its visitors, including allies, like potential suspects.

Apparently American arrogance has risen to the level where not only do we think we have the right to choose how we are going to die, but we also believe our victimization trumps those of the rest of the world. What a nation of whiners we have become :(

More hogwash from a foreigner who has no clue about being American.

How convenient to pick the definition of 'liberal' that fits your agenda. I can do the same now can't I?

-political or social views that put a great emphasis on creating new social patterns or values, often with the help of direct government action. (Contrast with conservative views, which put more emphasis on the importance of traditional values and social patterns. ...

-Political view that supports gradual change and government spending to assist lower classes in society.

Oh yes, please go wipe off your screen - and then you can return to whining about how the big bad Americans won't let you run free in OUR country without keeping the best possible track of you. Of course, no doubt, the families of the Brits killed on 9/11 wondered how we let those people into our country and lost track of them.

It's very funny that you can't see the irony of this. Any country that espouses such a narrow view foments resentment, anger and ultimately violence against itself.Or the irony of this. "Liberal" = "for freedom".

Now I must go and wipe the coffee off my computer screen. :D

How convenient to pick the definition of 'liberal' that fits your agenda. I can do the same now can't I?

-political or social views that put a great emphasis on creating new social patterns or values, often with the help of direct government action. (Contrast with conservative views, which put more emphasis on the importance of traditional values and social patterns. ...

-Political view that supports gradual change and government spending to assist lower classes in society.

Oh yes, please go wipe off your screen - and then you can return to whining about how the big bad Americans won't let you run free in OUR country without keeping the best possible track of you. Of course, no doubt, the families of the Brits killed on 9/11 wondered how we let those people into our country and lost track of them.

Thank you, for being a perfect example of how our country loses its allies and support among the rest of the world.

And now pardon me while I run off to apply for my Greek passport.... first-generation status has its privileges ;)

Sure you can ask, and I'll even answer - I have nothing to hide :)

Female, 46, and have 2 children - 1 son 14, 1 daughter 19, one fiancee in one of those 3-letter intelligence agencies that keeps me - and you - safe.

Ahh, not going to demean yourself - translation: you run from a 'fight' when you know you're whupped. It's ok - you brits have done that with Americans before.

Sorry 'sweetie' - I'm passed psych evals required for prior employment - I'm completely sane and got the papers to prove it :)

Ah yes - who was it that said that one measure of a country is how many are trying to get into it, and how many are trying to get out of it. Ain't many leaving the good ole USA and millions trying to get in - says it all right there. I did notice the poll results - would seem you are in the minority - imagine that.

Not biting anymore - take your venom elsewhere, sweetie:D

-Firstly the US is not the superpower it used to be in the good old days of the Cold War...those days are long gone, and rightly so.-

Oh yeah? And just who are the superpowers these days? Sure ain't Britain is it matey?

-Secondly, the UK has had more terrorist attacks in the last 40 years than the USA had in one day. I was less than 100 yards away from an IRA bomb explosion in London in the 1970's. -

That is hardly world terrorism - it's more akin to a civil war - part of your "empire" doesn't want to be controlled by you. We had a civil war here too.

-The USA has had it good and you got COMPLACENT about your security...just as you did a mere 6 months after 9/11.-

Yep, asleep at the wheel - and we are trying to fix that. So - damned if we do, damned if we don't in your eyes.

-At the end of the day matey, the USA showed how impotent it really is on 9/11 and you can rant and rave as much as you like, you can call our sovereign whatever you like...but fundamentally one thing will never change....the USA was complacent & impotent before 9/11 and it is just as bad now...only this time it is cutting off the hand that feeds, namely tourists and legitimate businesses and their money.-

oh I don't know - we were def caught with our pants down on 9/11 - I don't think that the people that have seen our military in action would consider it 'impotent' - except when we're hamstrung by trying to be politically correct with the rest of the world. The reality is that we shouldn't care what the rest of the world thinks - what are they going to do about it?

-The USA is a shadow of what it was, at one time other countries used to look up to the US and everything it stood for. Nowadays it is the joker of the pack with an inanely grinning president, destitute and desperate people who are waiting for years to get their homes back after a natural disaster, as I said before...get your own house in order before you start ordering anyone around.-

Get your facts straight matey, it was a Brit that started the nation bashing not me, I just told him to look at his glass house first. As for those 'desperate/destitute people' - most of them still sitting there waiting have no one to blame but themselves at this point - you can bet I wouldn't be sitting around 2 years later waiting for a gov't handout. As for ordering around - if it's on our soil - we'll order around anyone we want :) You - or anyone else - can laugh all you want at us, our country, our President - we know we aren't perfect - and we laugh just as hard at all of you in Europe.

-It is shameful what the US authorities are thinking of, and they have the gaul to complain about China's human rights record when the US holds people without trial in Cuba just cos they are muslims.-

BTW, the word is 'gall'. Sooo, you're comparing requiring tight immigration policies to forced abortion in China, jailing of dissidents, censorship of thought and word? Now who needs their head examined.

-Yeah...you rant all you want to. Keep on wearing the rose coloured glasses.-

learned arabic yet? you're gonna need it

-Good point... we in the US certainly don't own the market on violent attacks by other countries, yet you don't see these nations treating its visitors, including allies, like potential suspects.-

Really? When was the last time you tried to get into Saudi? Israel? Both are allies of the US - heck, you can't even immigrate to Mexico easily.

- but we also believe our victimization trumps those of the rest of the world.-

I don't think ours trumps the rest of the world at all - when I look at women in the Middle East, people in China, Cuba, genocide in africa. But what has that got to do with us securing our borders? Because others have suffered worse, we should not do the best we can to protect our people and country?

- What a nation of whiners we have become :(-

ain't that the truth - people should take responsibility and stop expecting the gov't to take care of them

Of course, no doubt, the families of the Brits killed on 9/11 wondered how we let those people into our country and lost track of them.
Just to return to the original topic for a second, how is fingerprinting people on entry and on exit going to keep track of where they are within the US?

Or are you privy to a new nationwide fingerprint-you-before-you-eat scheme that's about to be introduced by the DHS?

You're most welcome. Perhaps being 'first-generation' has a lot to do with your viewpoints. Bye bye, enjoy Greece - will be looking forward to your post telling us all how you've renounced your US citizenship - like that will really happen.

Thank you, for being a perfect example of how our country loses its allies and support among the rest of the world.

And now pardon me while I run off to apply for my Greek passport.... first-generation status has its privileges ;)

-Good point... we in the US certainly don't own the market on violent attacks by other countries, yet you don't see these nations treating its visitors, including allies, like potential suspects.-

Really? When was the last time you tried to get into Saudi? Israel? Both are allies of the US - heck, you can't even immigrate to Mexico easily.

Actually I have been in about 50 countries all over the world including Mexico and Israel, and the longest most arduous effort has been getting back into my own country. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Yes, run back to the UK and take a look at your glass house sweetie. Your friend still 'trying desperately' to get into the US? :)

I'll take my viewpoints anywhere I please 'sweetie' - there's that land of the free thing :)

Not biting anymore - take your venom elsewhere, sweetie:D

And, indeed, a perfect example of the type of tourist who will get their coffee spat into before it's served! :D Oh, what a delicious thought.

You're most welcome. Perhaps being 'first-generation' has a lot to do with your viewpoints. Bye bye, enjoy Greece - will be looking forward to your post telling us all how you've renounced your US citizenship - like that will really happen.

I don't have to renounce my citizenship as I am a dual citizen. My viewpoints have nothing to do with being first generation... they are more about recognizing that nations who support us should be treated with respect and diplomacy rather than alienated.

"Enjoy Greece"... who wouldn't? :rolleyes:

I admire the widows of a few who died on 9/11. I have seen their documentary & read the various articles too.

They are incredibly brave, American widows who made a point of going to Afghanistan and meeting with the families of the hijackers. The widows were welcomed with open arms by families ripped apart by what had happened. Those same families have also visited the US as guests of the widows.

One part of the documentary that really epitomised everything. One of the hijackers had (at that time) a 2 year old daughter, she is gorgeous. Her mother and her grandparents were distraught over what their husband/son had done and were seen asking what they would tell the little girl when she grew up and asked where her daddy was. The families of those who hijacked the planes blame themselves...what did they do wrong when bringing the child up that he would go to another country and cause such pain and anguish...

Now to me, the actions of those brave widows stand out, they have forgiven what happened, they can never forget...just as the families of those hijackers can never forget or forgive as to do what they did was completely against the true meanings of Islam and the Koran.

The way the US government has handled things leading up to 9/11, the way that Bush blamed everyone but his own legislation for what happened that day...he blamed Iraq and used that as one of many spurious reasons for restarting the Iraq war...a war that saw his father mess up in 1991.

Bush Junior is a laughing stock and that is just so sad for those in the US who welcome other countries and cultures into their neighbourhoods and who welcome tourists and who are frankly ashamed of their current leader.

I truly hope that come election day the new leader will right the wrongs and show the compassion and the forgiveness of those brave 9/11 widows and bring back some of the freedoms that pre 9/11 existed.

There is too much paranoia, too much anti race...just too much discrimination. Things need to change or the US will become a no-go area of the world. No country can wrap itself up in barbed wire, time has shown that the US has a troubled existance...hardly a month goes by without some multiple shooting or some such tragedy somewhere in the US. But as with Columbine, the lesson was not learnt, many more young lives have been lost since Columbine, nothing has changed. I feel for those who have to tell parents that their child has been killed by some nut at school or college.

The US is in a mess..financially and in its handling of security. They need to look much closer to home and weed out those who would do harm to their own countrymen, not target those who help bolster the ailing economy.

No, the alternative is going somewhere other than the US!

And it seems like there's at least one poster on this thread who'd be very glad if we all went somewhere else. :)

Everyone is criticizing the US immigration for this "fingerprinting" and yet Canada, the UK, and European countries are considering a similar recognition process either thumb, finger or palm or eye recognition. Australia is studying "face recognition", so does it make a difference if we recognise a finger a face a thumb or a palm/hand?

We get carried away with this "we are all made to feel like criminals becuase the US want to fingerprint us all" YOUR OWN COUNTRIES ARE DOING IT TOO!!. So why all the ridiculous comments about entering the US.

This is not totally about terrorism, the technology for fingers/palms/eye etc will confirm that the person has a valid passport. Illegal immigrants, asylum seekers etc are getting into Canada and into the UK and Euroope with fake passports. I know that many get into Canada quite easily and make their way illegally cross the border into the US.

The finger/palm/eye recognition technology will go along way to stopping stolen/altered passports.

In the not too distant future it will be a matter of just putting your hand or eye up to a camera/sensor and proceeding through customs.

As for the nasty comments on here, it is ridiculous. I can't believe the one person who said that she has never been to the US she's coming on her first and final trip??? Never been to the US but she has the nerve to criticize and make ridiculous comments.

I travel back and forth to the US on a regular basis, I have never had a problem. I think its more difficult to go through Canada customs.

I would love for them to use that for everyone, heck when we went to Seaworld they fingerprinted everyone going in, and we thought it was a great idea. I also wish they would dna every child at birth, I worked in the court system and I can't tell you how many find out their kids are someone elses, yet after a certain amount of time (very limited now) whoever is on the birth certificate stays and is responsiblem, which is only right. BUT we should ALL welcome any measure that make us more secure, and fingerprinting and dna databases catch many criminals and helps significantly in solving crimes.

*SIGH* you do make such good sound bites - the problem with sound bites is they are fluff

The terrorists that bombed/flew aircraft were not under the auspices or control of the United Nations or any entity recognized by any world authority as a world community member. It's not like France attacked us.

Cause and effect - yep - good point. Americans and American interests have been under attack for decades. We were both asleep at the wheel and trying to be good little boys and girls in the world community - when we needed to strike back hard and tighten security. Had we done that after the 93 WTC bombing, the 2001 one probably wouldn't have happened. Had we tightened up and hunted down terrorists after the USS Cole, or after our marine barracks were bombed, or the other acts - we probably wouldn't have had 9/11.

You operate under the misguided belief that if we all act in a very nice politically correct manner, that the rest of the world will follow, everyone will get along, there will be no terrorism, and we can all sing kumbaya at the UN. Terrorists aren't interested in world peace, they aren't interested in getting along, they don't see anything we might do as 'mercy' - they see it as a weakness to exploit. They saw our weaknesses before, and the attacks continued - escalating to 9/11. We stopped being so 'nice' and we haven't had anything even close to that magnitude since.

We played nice - attacks escalated.

We play not so nice - attacks decreased.

Yep - cause and effect.

Bomb you. Or fly aircraft into your tall buildings.

If you can't see the cause and effect, then maybe you deserve what you get.

I admire the widows of a few who died on 9/11. I have seen their documentary & read the various articles too.

They are incredibly brave, American widows who made a point of going to Afghanistan and meeting with the families of the hijackers. The widows were welcomed with open arms by families ripped apart by what had happened. Those same families have also visited the US as guests of the widows.

One part of the documentary that really epitomised everything. One of the hijackers had (at that time) a 2 year old daughter, she is gorgeous. Her mother and her grandparents were distraught over what their husband/son had done and were seen asking what they would tell the little girl when she grew up and asked where her daddy was. The families of those who hijacked the planes blame themselves...what did they do wrong when bringing the child up that he would go to another country and cause such pain and anguish...

Now to me, the actions of those brave widows stand out, they have forgiven what happened, they can never forget...just as the families of those hijackers can never forget or forgive as to do what they did was completely against the true meanings of Islam and the Koran.

The way the US government has handled things leading up to 9/11, the way that Bush blamed everyone but his own legislation for what happened that day...he blamed Iraq and used that as one of many spurious reasons for restarting the Iraq war...a war that saw his father mess up in 1991.

Bush Junior is a laughing stock and that is just so sad for those in the US who welcome other countries and cultures into their neighbourhoods and who welcome tourists and who are frankly ashamed of their current leader.

I truly hope that come election day the new leader will right the wrongs and show the compassion and the forgiveness of those brave 9/11 widows and bring back some of the freedoms that pre 9/11 existed.

There is too much paranoia, too much anti race...just too much discrimination. Things need to change or the US will become a no-go area of the world. No country can wrap itself up in barbed wire, time has shown that the US has a troubled existance...hardly a month goes by without some multiple shooting or some such tragedy somewhere in the US. But as with Columbine, the lesson was not learnt, many more young lives have been lost since Columbine, nothing has changed. I feel for those who have to tell parents that their child has been killed by some nut at school or college.

The US is in a mess..financially and in its handling of security. They need to look much closer to home and weed out those who would do harm to their own countrymen, not target those who help bolster the ailing economy.

oh Gawd spare us the condescending lecture!!!

TIME TO CLOSE THIS THREAD -

nasty nasty nasty comments not suitable for cruise critic

My UK friends would be outraged at your comments, but there again I think they are from the intelligent part of Yorkshire.....................

You operate under the misguided belief that if we all act in a very nice politically correct manner, that the rest of the world will follow, everyone will get along, there will be no terrorism, and we can all sing kumbaya at the UN. Terrorists aren't interested in world peace, they aren't interested in getting along, they don't see anything we might do as 'mercy' - they see it as a weakness to exploit. They saw our weaknesses before, and the attacks continued - escalating to 9/11. We stopped being so 'nice' and we haven't had anything even close to that magnitude since.
Oh, no, trust me: I'm not that naive. Terrorists are out there, and they certainly need to be found and controlled.

But is it a good idea - for anyone - to do that in ways which antagonise your friends and whip up your enemies into a blind fury? Is it a good idea to denigrate all foreigners? Is it a good idea to say "We'll do what we want, because we're Americans and we can!"; that the most important people and the ones who need to be looked after most are American citizens; and that one cares not a jot about what the rest of the world thinks? All this goes as much for fingerprinting visitors as for any other action taken to protect one's borders and security.

Personally, I don't think that's a good idea. That approach is counter-productive. It only leads to more and more violence. Unfortunately, that approach has already cost more American lives than were lost in the attacks on 11 September 2001 - so "we haven't had anything even close to that magnitude since" is an odd way of looking at the situation.

Archived