Minin Suite on the Dolphin Deck vs Large Balcony Cabin on Caribe Deck ?

jimmy and allie

Hi,

We booked Cabin D714 on the Crown .. After checking we have noticed that the Caribe Deck has a smaller cabin size, but a larger balcony. Is the larger cabin off set for the smaller balcony ? Does it make a difference that the Mini suite balcony isn't covered ? Any of your help would be great !! Jimmy and Allie :)

The Caribe deck balconies are approx. 9'X9' and the Dolphin deck balconies are approx. 9'X7'. Both balconies should be furnished with a small, bistro sized table and two chairs as well as two other chairs that recline somewhat with a small end table between them. You will not have lounge chairs on either balcony. Since I don't mind the open balconies on Dolphin deck I would go for the minisuite with the extra room anyday over the much smaller room on the Caribe deck. The extra 2' of balcony space does not even begin to compensate for the lesser space, smaller bathroom and lack of sitting area in the cabin. Also, FYI, if a covered balcony is important to you and you would still like to have the space in a minisuite try changing to one on the Emerald deck as these are fully covered.

I, on the other hand, would not pay the extra for the mini-suite, if there were only two people occupying the room. While the extra space is nice, I prefer to spend most of my time on the balcony rather than in the room itself so the extra expense is not worth it to me.

On the Emerald we had one of the balconies that was half open and half covered and found them great because you could spend as much time outdoors as you wished without being in the direct sun all of the time.

Ultimately it just depends on what you want and what your budget can accommodate.

I too would go with the mini suite. A few extra square feet of balcony is never going to talk me into giving up the comfort inside the stateroom that the mini suite offers.

Agree with your post. Suzi loves the tub and we both enjoy having 2 tv's and the extra space for lounging.

Once you get a mini....you will not be satisfied with a balcony. My husband loves the extra room, and you get a couch instead of a chair in the sitting area. The bathroom is much larger too, plus it has a bathtub!!! If you try a mini, you will never go back!

Once you get a mini....you will not be satisfied with a balcony. My husband loves the extra room, and you get a couch instead of a chair in the sitting area. The bathroom is much larger too, plus it has a bathtub!!! If you try a mini, you will never go back!

I disagree whole heartedly with this statement. We always revert back.

Different cruises mean different accommodations. FYI -- when in Alaska

we get an obstructed OV since we prefer to spend out time outdoors viewing

the glaciers, and we like to be on top deck.

when in the Southern Caribbean, we opted for the Caribe cabins with the

fully covered balcony C753 since we knew we'd spend more time on

our balcony and would be needing shade. However, when going on

the Mexican Riviera cruises, we've had the non-covered mini-suites

and that suited us fine as 3 days of the cruise was cool weather and

we preferred the sunny balconies.

Last cruise was on the Emerald and we had the C753 regular balcony

cabin but with the extended covered balcony, and it was one of

the best cabins ever!! We didn't mind the teeny bathroom.

The minis are so nice too since you do have the extra room to stretch

out and the larger bathroom, so if you like to bring back food from the

buffet like we do, then it is challenging to try to have a meal in the room,

but again, that's where the balcony comes into play....;)

Also, as someone mentioned, if there's only the 2 of you then a balcony

Caribe is sufficient. If you're talking 3 to 4 people, definitely a mini...

So are the balconies on the Dolphin deck - mini-suites bigger than just the regular balconies - like on the Aloha deck? We had a balcony on the Aloha deck in January and now have a mini-suite - Dolphin deck for our cruise in two weeks.

Thanks

So are the balconies on the Dolphin deck - mini-suites bigger than just the regular balconies - like on the Aloha deck? We had a balcony on the Aloha deck in January and now have a mini-suite - Dolphin deck for our cruise in two weeks.

Thanks

Yes, they are probably 40% or so deeper. I believe the non-Caribe deck balconies are about 5' deep and the Dolphin deck balconies are about 7' deep.

I had a Dolphin deck mini suite on the Golden and I did not like the idea of an uncovered balcony. Since this was a Pacific Coastal cruise in September, there wasn't all that much sun shineshine all day long. What really bothered me was that the folks from the three upper decks, Caribe, Aloha and Lido, above me can always look down and see all the balconies on the Dolphin deck. In other words, no privacy.

So, for my next cruise, I booked the Emerald deck room number E729 mini suite with the extra wide and covered balcony and I know I'll enjoy it more than the mini suite on Dolphin deck.

But if you really want to experience a fabulous mini suite and a covered balcony, try cruising on a HAL Vista class ship like the Oosterdam. Their mini suites have it all over Princess.

Am thinking about changing from a BB aft balcony to a mini-suite. I get so confused about exposed, partially exposed, yadda-yadda.

Which category mini-suites on the Emerald Princess are fully covered, partially covered and totally exposed?

Thanks for the help.

I totally agree! Plus, we like having two tv's. They are especially nice for really long cruises, as we seem to have more stuff to spread out then. We are downsizing on our cruise-after-next with "just" a balcony so that we can be with a group, but I know we will be missing having a mini-suite.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to be sure I understand this .... we also are looking at a mini-suite on the Golden for Hawaii. The key factor for us in a balcony is that we want some type of cover ... full cover preferred if given a choice.

So for mini-suites:

Dolphin Deck - has fully exposed/open balconies

Emerald Deck - has fully covered balconies

Caribe deck - has 1/2 of the balcony covered, 1/2 exposed.

So it looks like Emerald Deck would be the best choice for us cabin E718 thru E731 ... am I correct????

If you have decided on a mini suite, then that would be the Dolphin or Emerald Decks only for minis.

Fully covered mini suite balconys are located only on the Emerald Deck, correct.

The Caribe Deck staterooms you have on your list would be balcony staterooms but not mini suites. ;)

If you have decided on a mini suite, then that would be the Dolphin or Emerald Decks only for minis.

Fully covered mini suite balconys are located only on the Emerald Deck, correct.

The Caribe Deck staterooms you have on your list would be balcony staterooms but not mini suites. ;)

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I had misunderstood and thought there were mini suites on Caribe too. Looks like Emerald is the right choice for us. Definitely want a mini-suite and the balcony to be covered.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I had misunderstood and thought there were mini suites on Caribe too. Looks like Emerald is the right choice for us. Definitely want a mini-suite and the balcony to be covered.

We've had mini-suites on the Dolphin and Emerald Decks and covered or not, they are terrific.

Those on the Emerald Deck (AD category) are fully covered so they are the ones for you! :)

We had a mini suite on Dolphin Deck (on the Emerald) this past April. We were worried about the uncovered balcony but it was not a problem at all. Didn't care if others could look down and see us and there was a sunny time of day and a shady time of day.

The extra space was great - we were three in the cabin - so the extra space was needed. The balcony was plenty big for the three of us to have breakfast out there every morning.

It's really a question of what you are looking for in a cabin and balcony.

For your information -- Grand Class ships Emerald is one of them the following breaks down the balconies:

Baja - 9'X5' Deep - fully covered

Lido/Aloha/Riviera - same as above

Caribe Deck: 9' X 9' - overhand on first 5"

Dolphin: All Mini suites - 9' X 7' deep - no covering

Emerald: Mini suties: fully covered 9' X 7' - last aft cabin 7' X 18' Wide -A few of the forward balcony cabins on this level have an area where people walk by your balcony.

Hope this is helpful to you.

We had a mini suite on Dolphin Deck (on the Emerald) this past April. We were worried about the uncovered balcony but it was not a problem at all. Didn't care if others could look down and see us and there was a sunny time of day and a shady time of day.

The extra space was great - we were three in the cabin - so the extra space was needed. The balcony was plenty big for the three of us to have breakfast out there every morning.

It's really a question of what you are looking for in a cabin and balcony.

For us, having the covered balcony is important. Not concerned that others could see in to it. We just like the idea of shaded area out on the balcony. Neither of us like to lay out in the sun, so love being on a shaded balcony with a good book, ipod etc. I realize you can have sun on the balcony even with a cover, but there always seems to be at least a small area of shade with a covered balcony.

Archived