I want DH to buy a new suit for our next cruise...

Cruzfan34

He's been wearing the same black suit for years and it's also the same suit in all of our formal pics on our last 3 cruises.

He said he won't buy another black suit (yes, he's stubborn). He wants to buy a dark gray suit, which, to me, isn't as dressy as black. I actually wanted him to buy a tuxedo, but I suppose he'll get more wear from a suit.

What do y'all think of a dark gray or charcoal colored suit? Will it look as formal if I wear a floor-length gown with him in his gray suit? Is it just my hangup?:rolleyes:

If he wants charcoal grey--like this I adore: http://www.josbank.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=13223&pcount=&Product_Id=398822 that would be nice on a formal night or for other occasions he might need a nice suit (wedding, funeral, etc) but a pale grey--not so much.....I think a charcoal suit would look pretty much the same as a black suit, really. Depends on the fabric & style specifics, but really, it's not black/white, just shades of grey....[i'm sorry, I could not resist that pun]

Your husband is a wise man! This is a post I made on a previous thread (with additions from lel5344) that I think you will find helpful:

Men's Suits 101

Style:

-solid navy blue or dark or light grey is the most versatile colour; if a man owns only one or two suits they should not be black - black looks wonderful after dark but its lack of colour looks dead in daylight and its harshness rarely flatters most skin tones

-9 - 10 ounces is the most versatile weight; less than that (i.e. tropical weight) usually wrinkles too easily (especially in lesser quality suits) and will provide little warmth in the winter months

-stick to 100% wool as it breathes easily, tailors well, resists wrinkles and holds dyes

-single-breasted is more versatile than double-breasted

-in general, avoid extremes in the cut and detailing such as excessively wide or narrow lapels, heavily padded shoulders, or overly fitted or overly baggy cut

-the choice between 2 and 3 buttons depends on a man's body type, for example a two-button jacket is often better for shorter men as it appears to lengthen the torso; also, there is sometimes little difference between a 2-button jacket and a 3-button jacket depending on the button stance (i.e. location of top button in 1B and middle button in 3B) and wearer's decision on whether or not to fasten the top button of a 3B

-vents are largely a matter of preference but side vents are by far the most practical because single (center) vent and no-vent styles will rise up and expose the wearer's trouser seat when he puts his hands in his pockets

-pleated or unpleated trouser fronts is largely a matter of taste: unpleated is currently more popular but pleated is more practical (they allow a man to sit or put his hands in his pockets without pulling the trouser tight, they are a better fit for men with "bigger" thighs) and looks dressier

-quality trousers will be lined in front to the knee

I'm presuming you are looking for budget-priced suits so I won't get into details about the quality of fabric and construction. However, a $300 suit can very easily look better than a $3,000 if it is fits properly and is tailored properly.

Fit:

-too many men these days buy into the myth that a suit is only comfortable if you can't feel it and consequently many men wear suits that are one size too big

-jacket collar should sit flat against the shirt collar. If it covers the shirt collar and there are horizontal folds or wrinkles just beneath the jacket collar then it needs to be lowered (any good tailor can do this); if the jacket collar sits away from the neck or shows more than 1/2" of shirt collar then it is too low

-sleeves should hang straight - if a man carries his arms too far forward or too far back for the cut of a given jacket then there will be wrinkles or breaks in the upper arm

-the length of the jacket is usally about mid-palm or halfway between the jacket's collar and the floor or a combination of the two

-there should be no pulling around the fastened waist button(s) - if there is then the jacket is too tight and must be let out. Horizontal creases across the top of the back of the jacket also mean the jacket is too tight

-side vents (if applicable) should hang in a straight line to the floor; if they splay open the jacket is too tight; a center vented jacket can be more flattering to a man with any sort of prominent posterior!

-regarding trousers, pleats (if applicable) and pockets should not pull open - if they do then the trousers are too tight and need to be let out; remember that dress trousers are always worn at the waist

Tailoring:

Equally important is the tailoring. Two of the most important details are sleeve length and trouser length:

-sleeve length should expose at least a 1/4" of shirt cuff (and shirt cuffs should not extend beyond the wristbone - if a man can slip on his shirt without unbuttoning the cuffs then they are too loose)

-Americans generally like their trousers with a noticeable break (i.e. indent in leg front just above the shoe caused) but the hem should be about 1/2" above the heel to avoid excessive bunching of fabric above the top of the shoe

Finally, when trying on suits be sure to wear the shirt and shoes you would typically wear with your suit (button up the collar as if you were wearing a tie). Also be sure to stand naturally while being fitted - throwing back your shoulders and sucking in your gut will result in a suit that looks awful the minute you relax.

Any man who follows these basic guidelines will end up with a timeless style that will not only last him for years to come but that will also be vastly more sophisticated than that of most other suited men these days!

Style 101

And while we're on the topic, a man should avoid wearing a tie without a jacket unless he is working the counter at Hertz Rent-A-Car. If he wants something just a little less formal than a standard suit and tie he should skip the tie instead. A matching jacket and trousers creates uses a single colour (and pattern) to link the two halves of the body into one coherent whole with a little splash of white (or a complementary colour) being added by the shirt. Conversely, dressing like a rental clerk route divides the body into two halves by dressing the legs in one colour & pattern, the upper torso in another and then throwing in a necktie as a distracting focal point to boot.

Archived