Those Who Like Formal: Will You Still?

Leo Jay

So I'm away for a few months, and now I'm hearing that Carnival's dropping Formal for Elegant? Ugh. I didn't really care much when other people chose to dress down -- as long as it was called FORMAL night I still felt appropriate in my tuxedo and loved having my rare opportunity to do so. But if it's no longer 'formal', I'm not sure a tux makes sense anymore, even though Carnival will be gracious enough to "allow" it.

So for those of you who like the idea of formal: will you still dress as though it were Black Tie, or will you go down to dressy?

I won't go "black tie", but I'm definitely still going to wear a sportscoat and tie on formal night and slacks and collared shirt on non-formal night.

Regardless of Carnivals rules I'd like to look good. That's how I'd dress is I was going to a nice restaurant around here....

they should keep it formal....and try to enforce that in the dining room....getting very lax......last cruise could not beleive how some people dressed......

not sure if we are in the majority or minority..but.....crusing not only gives us the cahnce to be together but also a chance to "gussy" up, something that we rarely (at least DH + I ) do at home.....love the pics....now DH has never worn a tux but 2 of my DS's have.....

Heck yes. DH will be in dark suit/tie, & I'll have cocktail dress.

Maybe everyone else is really rich and dresses like this all the time. ;) We don't so we like to dress up for dinner on the formal nights.

I'll still dress in my usual cocktail dress on the formal nights. Hubby & son will wear suits (don't know if hubby's tux still fits). I don't really care what other people are wearing, although it's fun to see people all dressed up.

Absolutely, I will still dress formal. I overdress on the non-formal nights anyway, so I'm totally into the formal thing, no matter what it's called.

I'm the same way, and I don't plan on changing that! I agree with sheri19 - I couldn't believe how some people were dressed on my cruise last week - casual nights and formal (Valor still used the term "formal").

I do like wearing the tux, but admit I haven't brought it the last few years because my travel companions started skipping the second formal night. But I'm in favor of dressing up, and would encourage my personal travel companions to go for it as well - but would go with the flow of our group.

I may go casual (slacks, shirt, tie) this year (Triumph May 3rd) as I've recently broken my arm, and it's a break they don't cast, so coats are not very comfortable at this point.

Remember the most important dress code is for the pool, remember your bathing suit. :-]

matt

I guess it's a little different for women, because a little black dress is so flexible and works easily for a regular dinner or black tie. Whereas a tux is distinctly "FORMAL," so it's hard to get away with it if the occasion doesn't specifically call for it.

With many of the airlines charging $10-25 for a second bag, which would have been my garment bag, I might skip the formal in order to save the extra charge, especially if it's not a required item any longer.

I do like to gussy up but will probably lean toward sparkly shirts with black slacks.

So for those of you who like the idea of formal: will you still dress as though it were Black Tie, or will you go down to dressy?

HELL YEAH!! I'm definitely dressing up...one of my fav things to do is get dressed up to the 9s! Dressy is for every other night on the cruise for dinner...nice dress and heels...why would you want to do the same thing on formal night? .......or excuse me....ELEGANT night...ahhaha...I don't care what anyone else says...I LOVE FORMAL!:D

I'm pretty bummed that Carnival is catering to the lowest denominator.

I suppose folks felt the same way when women's dress hats went away... or other formal dress of the past disappeared.

I haven't decided to what extent that I'm disappointed over Carnival's decision regarding "Eloquent Dress'... but I am disappointed.

I dress in jeans and shorts nearly every day of the year, but look forward to folks differentiating themselves on Formal Night by truely being Eloquent... if only for a few hours.

So I'm away for a few months, and now I'm hearing that Carnival's dropping Formal for Elegant? Ugh. I didn't really care much when other people chose to dress down -- as long as it was called FORMAL night I still felt appropriate in my tuxedo and loved having my rare opportunity to do so. But if it's no longer 'formal', I'm not sure a tux makes sense anymore, even though Carnival will be gracious enough to "allow" it.

I do love a man in a tux...and my DH must like how he feels in one because he's never balked at wearing one and actually went and bought himself one a couple years ago.

For me...those floor length dresses are the most comfortable things I own, so formal is fine with me.

So...we'll be formal on formal night. :)

We will be in formal attire on Formal nights. I will not change that no matter what. I am disappointed that Carnival has changed it, even if it is just a bit. I love wearing formal wear as we do not do that when we are at home. I also like to dress up on the other nights. The dinning room is so lovely, the tables are set so eloquently that I like to show respect and dress accordingly.

I'm so glad I found a thread where most everyone still loves formal night.

My DH is an aircraft mechanic, (so obviously doesn't wear a suit to work, LOL.) On his days off, he's a casual shirt and jeans type of guy. After our first cruise, he bought a tux, as he really enjoyed formal night (me too.) Several cruises later, I'd looked into booking a cruise on NCL. He was no longer interested when he discovered there was no formal night (since it's all freestyle dining.)

Another reason I love my DH so much!

Archived