Souvenirs- Made in AK

UF G8R

I have been collecting tacky picture frames for several years and it has been an enjoyable endeavor. However, I have just discovered that every single one of my treasures is “Made in China.” It seems that it is impossible today to buy any item that is manufactured to be a souvenir unless it is made in China. I was speaking to someone who owns a gift shop and was told that there are no manufacturers making souvenirs except the Chinese.

I have made a personal choice not to buy anything made in China anymore. I plan to buy several Ulu knives while in Anchorage to bring back as gifts but can I get some suggestions on where to find other souvenirs that are made in AK, or made in the USA, or made anyplace except China? I have been boycotting Wal-Mart for years, but the China boycott is brand new for me.

Any entrepreneurs out there? I would gladly pay double for a tacky picture frame made in the USA. Or a coffee mug!

Our Annie makes sweaters and a shop sells them for her during tourist season. They carry the Blue Alaska Flag logo as 'Alaska made'. She has had trouble the past few years getting US made wool and even Canadian made wool. She won't knit with Chinese wool. That may be the end of her sweater sales.

You are correct that most people buy Chinese made souvenirs in Alaska. Ketchikan and Juneau are full of them.

You even have to check the postcards!

It's tough, but it is possible. I found a store in Skagway that had a lot of Christmas ornaments that were handmade in Alaska with the little tag that says "Alaska made". As you are walking up the main drag away from the cruise pier, the store was on the left hand side of the street. Sorry I don't have the name, but you should see the christmas ornaments in the window. Or ask someone for Alaska made dolls. That's what I was actually looking for, and they had some of those too. I didn't want the the dolls that were "made in China" either, so it was quite a search. Some of the stores do have the "made in Alaska" logo in their windows.

I did end up buying some of the souvenirs made in China. They look like antlers with eagles, moose or bears in front of the antler. I was disheartened to see they were made in China, but did buy some small ones anyway. But that was the first thing my son noticed was the "made in China" tag.

I also bought a gold ring with a mammoth ivory stone in Dawson City Yukon and I watched the jeweler make it, so I know it wasn't from China.

Good luck on your hunt, just don't give up, they are there if you look hard enough!

I haven't been to Alaska for five years, but I recall there being a store in Ketchikan (near the far end of Creek St.) that sold nothing but handcrafted items that were made in Alaska. Perhaps someone who has been there last year could chime in as to whether it is still there or not.

The shop in Skagway that agabbymama mentioned is a great source for Alaska made things. They also have a nice little book about Alaska written by an Alaskan that any young child would enjoy. The Ulu Factory in Anchorage has more than just ulu knives. They have the bear claw salad utensils that are less expensive and make great gifts. We always buy Christmas ornaments to take back to family and friends and the shop in Skagway is a great place to buy them. We visited a shop in Ketchikan on Creek Street that also sold beautiful ornaments - glass balls painted on the inside with Alaska scenes - beautiful.

There are real Alaska made products out there but you will pay more than you will for the Made in China stuff. Of course, the quality is MUCH better.

Our Annie makes sweaters and a shop sells them for her during tourist season. They carry the Blue Alaska Flag logo as 'Alaska made'. She has had trouble the past few years getting US made wool and even Canadian made wool. She won't knit with Chinese wool. That may be the end of her sweater sales.

You are correct that most people buy Chinese made souvenirs in Alaska. Ketchikan and Juneau are full of them.

You even have to check the postcards!

Where is Annie's shop?

It's tough, but it is possible. I found a store in Skagway that had a lot of Christmas ornaments that were handmade in Alaska with the little tag that says "Alaska made". As you are walking up the main drag away from the cruise pier, the store was on the left hand side of the street. Sorry I don't have the name, but you should see the christmas ornaments in the window. Or ask someone for Alaska made dolls. That's what I was actually looking for, and they had some of those too. I didn't want the the dolls that were "made in China" either, so it was quite a search. Some of the stores do have the "made in Alaska" logo in their windows.

I did end up buying some of the souvenirs made in China. They look like antlers with eagles, moose or bears in front of the antler. I was disheartened to see they were made in China, but did buy some small ones anyway. But that was the first thing my son noticed was the "made in China" tag.

I also bought a gold ring with a mammoth ivory stone in Dawson City Yukon and I watched the jeweler make it, so I know it wasn't from China.

Good luck on your hunt, just don't give up, they are there if you look hard enough!

yea! thanks for that info! My main souveneir(s) are Christmas ornaments from my travels!! this will be a stop for sure!!

Where is Annie's shop?

She doesn't own her own shop. Thanks to Heaven for that!

She sells her sweaters to a gift shop in a hotel more often than not. She hasn't decided which one for this season. She makes 12 sweaters during the winter. They are absolutely incredible. This is her 'mad' money for the rest of the year.

Thanks for asking.

We found a shop in Juneau which used Baleen to make some nice artwork.

It was a little more than we planned to spend. But they were making it

right there in the shop.

Also in Sitka a basket weaver. She made some very nice baskets. You could

again watch them make it there in ALASKA!

You may want to check out the ULU knifes made in Alaska/Anchorage.

The web site is ULU.com

We plan on purchasing them for our friends. Just make sure they are made in USA/Alaska.

Mike

You may want to check out the ULU knifes made in Alaska/Anchorage.

The web site is ULU.com

We plan on purchasing them for our friends. Just make sure they are made in USA/Alaska.

Mike

Are the prices about the same in Alaska as on the website? Do these knives come with a booklet of suggestions for how to use them or what's best to use them on? Can these be found at any of the AK ports?

These would be great for a few members of my family.

Are the prices about the same in Alaska as on the website? Do these knives come with a booklet of suggestions for how to use them or what's best to use them on? Can these be found at any of the AK ports?

Yes to all the above. Keep in mind though that there are cheap Chinese imports that are sold everywhere also. We bought ours at the Ulu Factory but saw them at the nicer gift shops in other ports. You can also order them online. The price includes shipping online. We had ours shipped home since they frown upon taking knives onboard the ship. :rolleyes: You can do it but they usually confiscate them until the end of the cruise. It is so much simpler to ship them home or order online. If you get ulu knives I recommend that you buy the knife and bowl set since the bowl makes the knife much easier to use and it is a great small cutting board on the back.

Are these knives used for chopping? What else would you use them for?

Are these knives used for chopping? What else would you use them for?

They are mainly used for chopping but the booklet that comes with the knives gives you other uses. They do a good job of chopping and they make a great conversation piece sitting out in your kitchen. Each knife comes with a stand for display.

Archived