Wine Packages

debt

Can someone fil me in on just how the wine package program is set up. Do you just pick a wine color at your table and get what's available, or do you get to pick specific wines in the list of the level you buy?

There are three levels of wine package - Diamond, Platinum & Gold - with "diamond" being the most expensive and having the largest selection to choose from. Each package has between 3 and 6 different whites and reds and a couple of sparkling and blush wines to choose from. You can buy a 5, 7, 9 day package (don't quote me on the 9 day package) and the price varies according to the level and number of days. You may select any wine on the corresponding "list". If you do not finish a bottle you can take it to your room or have it held for the next night. Be aware that although a "20% savings" over ordering individual bottles is touted, you should know the average per bottle price of the package you choose versus the per bottle price of the wines you would normally order. In many cases, we found that the average "Package Price" was either more on equal to a per bottle price.

There are three levels of wine package - Diamond, Platinum & Gold - with "diamond" being the most expensive and having the largest selection to choose from. Each package has between 3 and 6 different whites and reds and a couple of sparkling and blush wines to choose from. You can buy a 5, 7, 9 day package (don't quote me on the 9 day package) and the price varies according to the level and number of days. You may select any wine on the corresponding "list". If you do not finish a bottle you can take it to your room or have it held for the next night. Be aware that although a "20% savings" over ordering individual bottles is touted, you should know the average per bottle price of the package you choose versus the per bottle price of the wines you would normally order. In many cases, we found that the average "Package Price" was either more on equal to a per bottle price.

Thanks for the info. I'd think the once only charge of 15% might help keep the price down as well as opposed to paying the 15% for each bottle. If by some unforseen act of god you have unopened bottles left at the end of the cruise, can you take them home with you?

Check out http://www.royalcaribbean.com/giftcatalog/category/home.do?catCode=WINDIN

They show all the packages and all the wines available in each package.

We bought our package when we got on board the first afternoon--they had a special--discounted the amount--and then we chose what we wanted each night--if there was any left, they had it for us the next night.

I agree with the poster who said that it is rarely a discount versus buying the wines off the regular list -- in fact you could overpay for the package depending on which wines you selected. It might be a couple of dollars per bottle if you really studied the list and selected the highest one in the list of options, but if you are at all concerned about not drinking the whole quantity, I wouldn't do it. If there were leftovers, my **Guess** would be that you could NOT take them off the ship (my failing memory seems to remember this from another thread), but I'd be curious to hear from someone who knows

On our last two cruises, Dec. 07 and this past March, we brought home a bottle from each cruise that was left over from the wine package. We just took it from the dinning room after dinner the last night. So much wine, so little time;)!

Yes, you can take any bottle not opened back in your luggage. If you know the listed price of your wines, you will know whether the package is a better deal than buying by the bottle. We get the Gold package which averages out, with the gratuity, to about $26 per bottle, which is outrageous in itself. But the wines we select sell for $28 and $32 per bottle separately. I also have read that the value is greater for the Diamond package, as the more expensive wines are not marked up as much as the less expensive wines.

In my limited experience with RCCL, it appears the markup at the lower end of the wine list is in the 350%-500% range, while at the upper end on the reserve list it is only in the 150%-250% range. You might use this as an opportunity to try some higher end wines.

Archived