Deposit refundable?

LindaKE

When we first started cruising, we were told that before a certain date, we could get a refund of our deposit. I can't find anything like that on our documents for our Feb 8 Spirit cruise. DH is considering a job change which could mean that he can't get that week off after all. Does anyone know what NCL policy is?

Thanks!

Deposits are refundable up until final payment. Once final payments are made, then there are penalties. I have also read that high priced suites, ie, garden villas have non-refundable deposits. I will never know about them, so if that's where you plan to cruise, perhaps someone else can answer that.

I also have heard that if you use the next cruise kind of thing where you get $100 OBC for your current cruise, if you cancel, your OBC is deducted from your deposit.

I hope that helps you and I do hope also that you get to cruise. Good luck.

When we first started cruising, we were told that before a certain date, we could get a refund of our deposit. I can't find anything like that on our documents for our Feb 8 Spirit cruise. DH is considering a job change which could mean that he can't get that week off after all. Does anyone know what NCL policy is?

Thanks!

NCL will not charge a penalty if you cancel before a certain date; your deposit would be refundable.

**HOWEVER** certain online agencies and some travel agents WILL charge you a cancellation fee that has nothing to do with the cruiseline. Unfortunately, many folks do not bother to read the fine print that details the agency's own cancellation fee structure. So, depending who you booked through, you may have a fee involved.

Unfortunately, many folks do not bother to read the fine print that details the agency's own cancellation fee structure.

Any reputable TA will clearly disclose the cancellation fee before you book. If you have to resort to reading fine print, I'd choose another TA.

The only time I use online TAs is to price shop. They are fine for flights and hotels, but a cruise is too big to risk it. I preder to deal directly with the cruise line, or with a brick and mortar agency I trust.

Any reputable TA will clearly disclose the cancellation fee before you book. If you have to resort to reading fine print, I'd choose another TA.

The only time I use online TAs is to price shop. They are fine for flights and hotels, but a cruise is too big to risk it. I preder to deal directly with the cruise line, or with a brick and mortar agency I trust.

I understand your reticence, but I have dealt with an online agency for years and am happy with them. However, it IS my responsibility to read the website that talks about the fee structure. It was also my responsibility to discover when there was a change in that fee structure. For me (and only me) I'm willing to shoulder that responsibility. I do not require any help from a cruise TA other than "book it." I (and only speaking from my own experience of course) have enjoyed major savings doing this way over the years. I do understand not everyone is as research happy as I am. :D

Happy travels!

mcpepe has his own ideas which are fine; yes, I suppose it is up to individuals to know the penalty/cancellation policy of his/her agency but I do think it is up to Travel Agents to make this very clear.

That being said, to the OP, deposits are always refundable (except in some suite situations) up to final payment date which could be anywhere from 75 to 90 days prior to sailing. Much depends on the sailing time of year. My guess, for a January sailing the requirements would be 75 days. You may want to have your TA check this out for you. If you booked with NCL directly give them a call, they will be glad to answer any questions you have.

Nita

Archived