1st Time - Balcony Back of Ship?

Hatty324

• 1 year later...
We sailed the Emerald (same configuration as the Ruby) in February, aft cabin E735. At first I found the wake noise to be quite loud. After a day or so I enjoyed the lull. The view was always wonderful. I did not find that there was any more motion than anywhere else on the ship. We were next to the vent that someone early pointed out about the cold air and noise. We did not feel or hear anything from this vent. Hope that helps - Enjoy your trip.

Judie

Thanks for your post. We're booked in that cabin and are concerned about an obstruction (beam) blocking the view. Also about the vent. Was it at all offensive? Noise, odor, or anything else?

Would really appreciate any feedback.

Okay, now I'm a bit worried about the motion on the aft balcony! :eek: My DH and I are novice cruisers with only one other under our belts. We sailed on the Grand in C708. My feeling was that if we could handle that with no problem and we enjoyed sitting out at the aft pool on a number of occasions without incident, we'd be fine in C752 on the CB. But we are going out of NY (previous cruise went out of FL). Should we be okay? Do we need to consider taking something even though we didn't need it before?

Thanks in advance for any tips you provide...

I am prone to motion and can handle it most of the time... EXCEPT (and most unfortunately) in the main theaters! They are always located forward, and you can really feel the pitching. As a new cruiser, I'm not sure I'd want to be that far forward.

Okay, now I'm a bit worried about the motion on the aft balcony! :eek: My DH and I are novice cruisers with only one other under our belts. We sailed on the Grand in C708. My feeling was that if we could handle that with no problem and we enjoyed sitting out at the aft pool on a number of occasions without incident, we'd be fine in C752 on the CB. But we are going out of NY (previous cruise went out of FL). Should we be okay? Do we need to consider taking something even though we didn't need it before?

Thanks in advance for any tips you provide...

Obviously, no two cruises are the same... whereas you handled one just fine, the next may be rough and rolling. It's hard to say. However... please don't sweat your aft cabin (we've had three and loved them all), but do come prepared just in case. Bring meclazine, wrist bands and ginger pills. You may never need anything, but it helps to be prepared.

I have a question about the aft balconies that no one seems to have mentioned on this thread yet...

My DH and I love balconies, but we only want staterooms where the balcony is private. One time we book a minisuite, and while the room was larger, the bathroom bigger, etc., the balcony was not private: passengers in staterooms on higher decks could look down onto our balcony and see us. We really felt it was an intrusion, so we've made the decision only to ever book a double with a balcony. The room is smaller, but we're okay with that because at least the balcony really is private.

I've read on this thread that the balconies in the aft cabins, BB category, are larger. For lots of great reasons, these cabins seem to be very desirable. Are the balconies also fully enclosed overhead? Or would passengers be able to look down on us and watch us eat breakfast in our pajamas and bed hair?

Thanks all!

Obstruction was not that bad at all. No noise, odor or anything else! In fact, we have a like cabin on the Ruby coming up in February!

Enjoy

Judie

Thanks for the information. It's good to hear.

Did you have any noise from club fusion?

Spender, No noise from Club Fusion that we ever heard. You must keep in mind that when the ship is moving the wake is loud, but quite soothing.

Also, for jbu, the balcony was private. Unless someone wanted to actually look around the side wall divider from their balcony to yours, it's private! Long live bed hair!

Aft cabins can't be that bad, they are quite often in demand.

Judie

I have a real problem with motion sickness, but the only time I was really sick was on the New England out of NY because we were near the front of the Star. I think it was the combination of the Atlantic and the front. After that, we chose mid ship until last cruise we got an upsell to the aft. We loved it! I did take pills before we boarded and for the first day. No problem. Also we were in the Med. which was pretty smooth.Next two we have booked aft. One is Baltics, one is E. Med. I plan to take the pills for a couple of days and also wear the bands.

Another vote for C752 or C753 - they are the only cabins I book now. Luckily they have always been available on the sailings I've been on.

I have been all the way forward and all the way in the back and from my personal experience I would never stay in the front of the ship - way more movement than anywhere else and the only time I have felt queasy.

I was in B755 on the Carribean Princess.

The aft balcony was awesome. It is completely covered.

Last year Hurricane Bertha was sitting off the coast of Bermuda, which was one of our ports. The Captain changed the itinerary and we sailed straight to Puerto Rico, but while sailing towards Bermuda, and prior to redirecting the ship, the seas got rough and the motion in the aft cabin was more pronounced. It didnt bother me or my son who is prone to seasickness. My friends who would visit me in my stateroom would comment on the motion.

As soon as we sailed away from the rough seas, you couldnt feel a thing. I wouldnt worry. As far as it being loud from the vent, I am not a good person to ask. It didnt sound loud to me. I live in NYC and on a main road and everything is loud hear. I heard nothing. LOL some ppl might hear it, but me, nothing.

The view from the aft is the best. I dont keep my door open to hear the ocean because its way too hot. I sail in July and to the Carribean, so the humidity is wicked. Last year the CB had a problem with its generators, which is now fixed, and the A/C was not running well, so opening the balcony door was never an option because of the heat.

We got back beginning of June, Alaska Cruise, we were on Caribe deck 10, room C711, right at the aft. Inside room, there are 4 of them right inside the door to the aft deck. It was great! Alittle bit of a walk to get to the buffets, but not bad, we needed the exersize. On this deck all the rooms have balconies except for the 4 in the aft, it was like having our own gigantic deck. The only time anyone was back there was during Glacier bay, if there were 20 that was a lot. Also, C711 is right across from the laundry, no problems with noice there either, except on the last day, when everyone wanted to do laundry, then they proped the door open.

I have been on 20 cruises and get seasick. I take Bonine if needed. I love the AFT cabins and WILL NOT do forward cabins since I had a suite as far forward as possible on the old Pacific. I threw up every time we were at sea. I definitely would not go forward and the wind made the balconies unusable.

Archived