Laptop Safety

i guess its really bring at your own risk. I brought mine earlier this year, for the first couple of days i kept putting it away and puting the bag out of sight. But i got tired of bringing it out so i left it out in the open with no problems! I'm also going to bring it next time i go. :-)

MRSPETE, when you have your laptop with you, you have to pay for in cabin access and there will be a charge on your sail and sign bill.

I also never had a problem with my laptop, and the cabin steward usually sets you up.

Mel

You don't have to pay for "in cabin access" unless you want to use the internet.

We brought our laptop to download photos from our digital camera each day. We did put it back in it's case and then in the closet after each use but only because we needed the desk space for other things. Never really worried about it being stolen as the only people with access to our cabin was our cabin steward and his asst.

My hubby is a computer geek boy, and according to him, it's not the theft of your laptop that should be your concern. What's scarier is that there is a CD available that can get all the info out of your computer. If you are hooked up to the Internet, your data can be sent to another computer. Nevermind passwords, they make no difference. I did not believe him until I saw him send all the info from his sister's broken PC to our computer. Anyone that has access to your laptop for about an hour can read all your stuff.

Now, you really have to know and trust babysitters, cleaning people, anyone that is in your house. Or your office.

I always use the Laptop cable lock...as shown by CMason......Even if the cabin attendant is trustworthy, someone who is walking by your cabin has access when the door is open.

As for the insurance....I seem to think the max claim for personal property was $1500.

Radio

;) ;)

I've taken my laptop on the last few cruises but have always put it away if I know the steward is going to be cleaning the cabin. My theory is not so much whether it will be stolen but what if the steward moves it to clean and drops it by accident? :eek:

Btw, SOME third-party insurance companies do cover theft. Check your policy or one you are going to purchase to be sure. I did have to make a theft claim once when we were in port visiting my cousin and his car was broken into.

I took my laptop with me to download & edit pictures daily from our digital camera -wonderful use of a laptop while on vacation--it stayed out on the desk. No problem at all. Plan to take it with us again on the Splendour to the Med.

Sounds like I have found the "cruising geeks" area. No disrespect intended as I include myself and DH in the same category!

Here's my question...

This will be our first time to bring a laptop on a cruise. Does anyone know if there are internet hook ups in the rooms? Do we pay by the minute as in the internet cafe or can you pay for unlimited use? We sail on the Rhapsody, so if anyone knows specifically about that ship all info would be appreciated!

Thanks!

I install computers for libraries. One library wanted laptops available to demonstrate to people that they could hook a laptop up to the Internet for free in this one room. Stupid, but that's what they wanted. The only security they used were cable locks such as those pictured above. A week after installing the laptops, two had been stolen and shortly thereafter the remaining two were removed from display. If someone wants your laptop, they'll simply torque and destroy the plastic/metal around the security slot to remove the lock. The thief knows you can always buy replacement body panel parts to laptops on the Internet.

If your security conscious, put the laptop away when not in use.

Archived