AA joins other airlines charging for 2nd bag !

p0mpey

Mentioned on the news here in DFW that AA announced today....$25.00 for second bag on domestic, economy flights starting May 12:mad: No charge if Platinum etc.

Really?? I didn't hear that this morning... bummer Good thing we're flying SW then, hopefully they don't follow behind them though. I can't remember who our friends that are going with us are flying with. Hmmm

DH and I scheduled our airfare in January 2008 and are not set to fly until May 18th. We typically take one larger suitcase and 2 smaller ones. I guess we'll have to purchase bigger luggage to fit all my shoes and clothes.

Just remember not to go over the limit for weight. I think its more expensive for heavier bags than it is to pay for that second checked bag.

Ok I found this on their website....they have a link from the homepage.

"The following customers will not be charged a service fee to check a second bag provided the second bag is within the weight allowance:

Customers who buy a ticket before May 12, 2008, or who fly before May 12, 2008 "

So it looks like as long as you've bought your ticket before that date you can still check a second bag free of charge.

Just a little tidbit here. I have checked overweight bags before curbside and tipped them an extra $10 or $15 and they will put a 1st class tag on my bag and not charge me the overweight fee. They would much rather pocket that $$ than have to give the overweight fee to the airlines. I have done this on several occasions with no problems. As recently as January.

I just found it - when you go to aa.com and go into their baggage information it is not listed, but if you google it and look for the recent news, it comes up. They are adding $25.00 for the second bag and it says part of the reason is due to the cost of fuel - isn't the cost of fuel figured in the cost of the plane ticket?

Great. :rolleyes: I leave on May 10th & return on May 18th. I can take it but will have to pay to return with it. :mad: Guess I'll have to skip formal night.

You should be covered Bren, cause you bought before 12 May.

Air Canada announced the same this week as well. They're a partner with United, so it wasn't unexpected.

Daughter flies frequently and says it is cheaper to take a second bag than pay for an overweight one. I think I heard that they have reduced the weight limit to 45 lbs.

Not true ... here's the link to AA's new policy: https://www.aa.com/apps/netSAAver/ViewPromotionsDetail.jhtml?anchorLocation=index.jhtml&repositoryId=16075429&repositoryName=PromotionContentRepository&itemDescriptor=PromotionContent

I just found it - when you go to aa.com and go into their baggage information it is not listed, but if you google it and look for the recent news, it comes up. They are adding $25.00 for the second bag and it says part of the reason is due to the cost of fuel - isn't the cost of fuel figured in the cost of the plane ticket?

Price of fuel is only figured into the ticket somewhat. I work at AA in Nashville and we just had this discussion in the breakroom. Remember you can buy your tickets around 300 days in advance so there is no way to really know what the fuel costs will be. Second the extra weight of the 2nd bag has "some" effect on the amount of fuel required to fly. Third with cattle car carriers like Southwest who charge almost nothing for tickets and provide almost no service we can't just raise fares because we have to compete with them even though we provide a different product.

They are adding $25.00 for the second bag and it says part of the reason is due to the cost of fuel - isn't the cost of fuel figured in the cost of the plane ticket?

You would think the cost of fuel was included with a Cruise fare as well... but apparently not. :rolleyes: :D

Price of fuel is only figured into the ticket somewhat. I work at AA in Nashville and we just had this discussion in the breakroom. Remember you can buy your tickets around 300 days in advance so there is no way to really know what the fuel costs will be. Second the extra weight of the 2nd bag has "some" effect on the amount of fuel required to fly. Third with cattle car carriers like Southwest who charge almost nothing for tickets and provide almost no service we can't just raise fares because we have to compete with them even though we provide a different product.

LOL This is too funny, first of all ticket prices have more than doubled recently, so we are paying for higher fuel prices, with the new rules for 2nd bag that just means more people will be putting their luggage in the overhead bins to clog up the lines getting on the plane, so it will take us all more time to board and get off the plane. As far as Southwest treating customers like cattle, that is a joke, I have flown hundreds of times on many airlines, Southwest has the best, and friendliest service of all flights I have taken, other airlines are down right rude.

I fly on AA this Saturday and have already packed! Hopefully we're ok being that we booked before May 12th. Main reason I booked with them was because they didn't charge for the 2nd bag! Oh well.

I agree, Southwest does have the friendliest staff. Unfortunately they don't fly into Miami.

Archived