Shuttles with small children?

OurFamily

We are cruising on the Freedom of the Seas this November out of Miami with our 3 year old and our 5 year old. We will most likely be relying on shuttle transportation between the airport, the hotel, and then to the cruise ships.

Has anyone used these shuttles before with small children? How did you feel about riding in one without carseats?

I am a little nervous about this part of the trip and was curious what others' experiences were.

Thanks!

Shuttle transportation? As in cruiseline transport? If you are paying for cruiseline transport, don't.

Come out of the Miami airport by the baggage claim, walk up to the Taxi line and tell them you need a taxi for 4 people, flat rate $26 to port. Can't remember what it was to our hotel. Basically same price.

When you take what the cruiseline charges ($75pp or more) you can save all of that money by taking taxis.

Now, are you saying you are going to take a taxi/shuttle without a car seat. They *may not* allow you to. Everytime we land in Miami and try to take a taxi, the first question they ask is "where's your car seat"

We carry travel car seats for the kids. Pending on the height/weight of your children, you can get travel seats for under $30.

Thanks all.

I meant shuttles from the airport to the hotel and then a shuttle over to the ship the next day. I don't think we are taking a taxi. We are flying in a day early so we will stay one night in a hotel and use the hotels transporation to the ship.

I wasn't sure what other people did on shuttles with small children when you can't use a car seat.

Shuttle transportation? As in cruiseline transport? If you are paying for cruiseline transport, don't.

Come out of the Miami airport by the baggage claim, walk up to the Taxi line and tell them you need a taxi for 4 people, flat rate $26 to port. Can't remember what it was to our hotel. Basically same price.

When you take what the cruiseline charges ($75pp or more) you can save all of that money by taking taxis.

Now, are you saying you are going to take a taxi/shuttle without a car seat. They *may not* allow you to. Everytime we land in Miami and try to take a taxi, the first question they ask is "where's your car seat"

We carry travel car seats for the kids. Pending on the height/weight of your children, you can get travel seats for under $30.

crusinmama06, do you have a link to show and example of what you are talking about?

Thanks all.

I meant shuttles from the airport to the hotel and then a shuttle over to the ship the next day. I don't think we are taking a taxi. We are flying in a day early so we will stay one night in a hotel and use the hotels transporation to the ship.

I wasn't sure what other people did on shuttles with small children when you can't use a car seat.

Do you mean shuttle as in van shuttle, shuttle mini bus, or shuttle bus? Vans have seatbelts, you can use a car seat. Mini buses sometimes have seatbelts too, once again can use car seat. Buses, no seatbelt, no carseat.

crusinmama06, do you have a link to show and example of what you are talking about?

Well I have a link but this is NOT the normal price. What happens is that the normal price of this seat is $39.95....it seems like as soon as we post it here, the price shoots up. :rolleyes: Then we'll stop posting it and it goes down again.

So for kids 20-40lbs, I use this...(but didn't pay THAT)

http://www.amazon.com/Eddie-Bauer-Portable-Bryant-Collection/dp/B000K53TFI

For kids OVER 40lbs, 40" tall I use this...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4359219

Thanks for the links. Mine is about to be 4 years old, but she is 39 lbs, and 40 inches tall. These look perfect.

Yep, then grab a backless turbo booster. They sell them everywhere for $24 and under...have seen them as low as $16.77. Can get them at WalMart, KMart, Babies R Us, Toys R Us, etc.....

do you know if there are any backless boosters for 30 pounds and up? It seems like they are making a bunch for 30 now.

also none of these are used on planes right? So nothing is used on the plane.

do you know if there are any backless boosters for 30 pounds and up? It seems like they are making a bunch for 30 now.

also none of these are used on planes right? So nothing is used on the plane.

Personally, no I haven't seen any like that for 30lbs. Backless boosters are suppose to be just for 40lbs and 40 inches tall and up (some can go up to 100lbs)

When they are under 40lbs, they are suppose to be using some sort of harness (like the 5pt harness system). The boosters are just to position the seat belt for a shorter child...but not under 40".

If you do find one for less, I would love to see you come back and post it here. Thanks!

And yes, you're right, you can't use the above seats on a plane. There are seats that you can use on planes, but they are full sized seats

I wish someone would make a booster seat with out arms. If it didn't have arms then I could put it in the suitcase more easily at the airport. But with the arms I need to check them and with the extra charge that many of the airlines are now charging for a second checked bag, it will really add up. I travel with three children who need boosters. If I have to check three boosters, then I need to pack all of us into one bag that weighs less than 50 lbs if I don't want extra charges. Thats tough.

So the boosters are not FAA approved? I thought they would be since the car seats are.

Nope, not that I know of. Boosters are for seat belt positioning only. The booster boosts the child up so that the shoulder belt comes across the chest and not the neck. Since the plane only has a lap belt, it wouldn't make sense to use it. So they are not allowed.

This may sound like a totally inane question but would most people find oit more important to get something like a travel car seat for cars/taxis and not worry about the plane ride?

Not an insane question, that is exactly what we do now. We take the car seats for the taxis and belt the kids in on the plane using the plane's seatbelt.

I look at it this way, if the plane is going to crash, odds are high we won't be walking away from it because the kids were in a FAA approved car seat. ;) Now for turbulence, I just keep them belted in, good or bad...that's what I do.

We have MUCH higher odds of being in a taxi crash than a plane crash.

I wish someone would make a booster seat with out arms. If it didn't have arms then I could put it in the suitcase more easily at the airport. But with the arms I need to check them and with the extra charge that many of the airlines are now charging for a second checked bag, it will really add up. I travel with three children who need boosters. If I have to check three boosters, then I need to pack all of us into one bag that weighs less than 50 lbs if I don't want extra charges. Thats tough.

Look carefully at your booster seat. My DD's has a seat that comes off and works on it's own, without the arms and back. You can use just the seat part separately.

Here's a link for the Eddie Bauer Portable Carseat. I ordered it last Friday after seeing the recommendations here. It was delivered yesterday, so it was fast shipping. It was less than $40.00 with shipping. Lots cheaper than Amazon!

http://www.albeebaby.com/eddie-bauer-portable-car-seat-22915byt.html[url=http://www.albeebaby.com/eddie-bauer-portable-car-seat-22915byt.html][/url]

Here's a link for the Eddie Bauer Portable Carseat. I ordered it last Friday after seeing the recommendations here. It was delivered yesterday, so it was fast shipping. It was less than $40.00 with shipping. Lots cheaper than Amazon!

http://www.albeebaby.com/eddie-bauer-portable-car-seat-22915byt.html

Thanks for the info. We are looking into getting this thanks to you. How does it seem? In you opinion, does it look safe? Our granddaughter is 16 months and very petite. And how much would you say it weighed? I'd appreciate your review. I understand it's still new but anything would help. Thanks, Diane

I have showed the seat to everyone who would look at it! The box says it weighs 4 pounds and I would say that's probably right. The back of it is hard plastic and the seat belt goes right right through it. It seems like it will hold it tight. It has a good bit of padding on the back so it looks like it'll be comfortable enough. My DD is 2 (will be almost 3) when we travel in Sept. and she fits in it fine. It folds up and looks like it would fit in the carry on luggage. I tried on Ebay for this and the bidding was up over $60 w/out shipping, so for $40 I think it's a good deal.

Thanks for the info. We are looking into getting this thanks to you. How does it seem? In you opinion, does it look safe? Our granddaughter is 16 months and very petite. And how much would you say it weighed? I'd appreciate your review. I understand it's still new but anything would help. Thanks, Diane

I might be able to help you...I've been using it on vacations for over a year now. You MUST practice with it at home to get it secure.

Is your 16 month old granddaughter over 20lbs? At 16 months, my daughter wasn't. Heck she just turned 4 and still only weighs 29lbs....lol.

So make sure the toddler is at least 20lbs before you get this product. You said she's "petite" so it won't be good for her if she's not at the minimum weight.

Would I use this every day. Oh heck no. :eek: ;) But when it comes to getting in a taxi and sitting in my lap, verses getting in a taxi and using the 5pt harness...I'll take the harness. :)

I travel with 2 kids who use boosters. I stick both of the backless boosters in one of those big clear plastic bags the airline gives you when you check a carseat. That way it only counts as one checked bag.

Archived