U.S. government plans to fingerprint cruisers at terminals

sixy-six

U.S. government plans to fingerprint cruisers at terminals

Comments41 | Recommend4

xlarge.jpg USA TODAY's Mimi Hall reports this morning that the U.S. government plans to start fingerprinting foreign travelers -- including cruisers -- as they leave the USA.

The proposal, to be unveiled today by the Homeland Security Department, would require cruise lines to collect the fingerprints from passengers as they board ships in Miami and other U.S. ports. Airlines would have to collect fingerprints at airports.

Only foreigners would be fingerprinted, not U.S. citizens. But the requirement could cause delays for everyone at cruise ship terminals. It's also expected to add to the cost of turning around ships in ports -- costs the cruise lines likely will pass on to consumers. The proposal calls for cruise lines and airlines -- not the U.S. government -- to pick up the tab for the fingerprinting.

The cost "is above and beyond our biggest nightmare," a spokesman for the International Air Transport Association told USA TODAY's Hall. "This is literally the most expensive security program in the history of aviation."

The U.S. government's own projections place the cost at more than $2 billion over 10 years.

Airlines, cruise lines and others will have 60 days to comment before a final requirement is issued. A Homeland Security Department official, Robert Mocny, tells USA TODAY's Hall that nothing will change for airline and cruise ship passengers between now and June 2009.

Mocny says the proposal is aimed at helping the government track down visitors, including suspected terrorists, who stay in the USA after they are required to leave.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=48833436.blog

I have never had my fingerprints taken? My kids had their fingerpints taken at the Town Hall when they were little. (I wonder if that situation will come back and bite them in the butt someday) LOL

Thank goodness, US citizens don't have to endure finger printing. That would cut into our 'first day on ship" drinking time!

I don't get it. Fingerprint only foreigners as they leave on a cruise? How about when they come back?

Why not fingerprint them when they originally enter the country? And why limit it to those not claiming US citizenship? Why not simply do everyone?

Here in Florida, you have to have your fingerprint scanned to get into Busch Gardens and Sea World.

Those things are a real pain in the ***, too. Slows everything considerably. Most people have to repeat the process at least twice b/c the machine did not get a succesful read.

Here in Florida, you have to have your fingerprint scanned to get into Busch Gardens and Sea World.

Those things are a real pain in the ***, too. Slows everything considerably. Most people have to repeat the process at least twice b/c the machine did not get a succesful read.

Disney World too, we had to get scanned last month when we went. It only took half a second though, so it wasn't holding the line up at all.

Maybe Walt bought better machines than Anheuser-Busch!

Hope they print every foreigner...

Sorry... Every Country has the right to know who is entering and exiting their Country... one way or another. :)

My thoughts exactly and certainly nothing to apologize for.

I have never had my fingerprints taken? My kids had their fingerpints taken at the Town Hall when they were little. (I wonder if that situation will come back and bite them in the butt someday) LOL

Thank goodness, US citizens don't have to endure finger printing. That would cut into our 'first day on ship" drinking time!

Seems to me it would only "bite them in the butt" as you say, if they were involved in some not so legal activity.

I'm sorry that has to be the stupidest reason for not taking them that I've ever heard and what would you have to "endure?" Besides it would only take an extra minute or two - being in the digial age and all that. Have to have mine taken every couple of years...no big deal.:rolleyes:

the airlines have to do it to so i think when they exit the plane here in the usa they will scann there finger print to enter the country when they leave on the cruise ship they do it again and when they get back to debark the ship and final finger print when they get back on the plane to go home . But im shure it will take six month to a year for them to relize if someone hasnt left the country like they were supposed to icon12.gif

Sorry... Every Country has the right to know who is entering and exiting their Country... one way or another. :)

Since a foreigner can't come into or leave the US without a passport, why is a finger print necessary or a better form of identification????

Just seems like a silly waste of time to me, and it certainly isn't an expense that the cruise or air industry should have to incur.

Since a foreigner can't come into or leave the US without a passport, why is a finger print necessary or a better form of identification????

Just seems like a silly waste of time to me, and it certainly isn't an expense that the cruise or air industry should have to incur.

Umm you never heard of phony passports;) There is no such thing as a phony fingerprint........

More stupid window dressing from the ineffective government. At a time when we should be embracing international guests, we're insulting and angering them instead. Very smart.

Not to worry, the inconvenience of the fingerprinting is more then offset by the low value of the US dollar. ;)

Disney World too, we had to get scanned last month when we went. It only took half a second though, so it wasn't holding the line up at all.

Maybe Walt bought better machines than Anheuser-Busch!

Yeah, I have a season pass to both BG and SW and have figured out the fingerprint scanner. Only takes me 1 try. But I noticed they scan children's fingers too. I think the reader has a problems b/c it is tough to get a child to keep their hand still long enough.

I agree..... We've been to free with who comes/goes in this country. But I'm with Fred.... Already in the system in California..

So shouldn't we get the finger prints when they ENTER not leave?

I agree but we do not always know when they enter the country in alot of cases I bet.

My prints on file. Worked for Uncle Sam for 9 years. No big deal. They could take our prints when we get our passports. Just another step. So what.

A fingerprint uniquely identifies a person... and to tie a set of fingerprints with a passport seems very smart to do. People leave fingerprints behind... they do not leave their passport behind.

You can certainly falsify a passport much easier that you can falsify a fingerprint.

It's not a big deal... it's the same as photo copying your hand... you just place your fingers on the glass and they get scanned. I get my prints done by the school district requires fingerprinting and background checks of anyone wanting to chaparone the kids on events / activities, so I've had it done.

if you dont have anything to worry about then its no issue......i'd rather be safe (to whatever extent safe is anymore)...heck, fingerprint me...its all good

Slamming my head into a brick wall. I am amazed that most people are willing to give up their rights so easily. We have so little privacy as it is, and less and less every day. I am not a government conspiracy theorist.....but still it amazes me. Do we forget that the best part of our nation is our freedoms and rights? If we give them all away in the name of '"security" then we lose something important.

Slamming my head into a brick wall. I am amazed that most people are willing to give up their rights so easily. We have so little privacy as it is, and less and less every day. I am not a government conspiracy theorist.....but still it amazes me. Do we forget that the best part of our nation is our freedoms and rights? If we give them all away in the name of '"security" then we lose something important.

I believe this is only for non U.S. citizens........

Archived