Menu Changes.......... What Do You Want?

sail7seas

Let's try to be realisitic and agree HAL has a food budget same as most of us do, but if there were a few things you'd like to see added to HAL's menus, what are they?

I seriously doubt any of us are going to see 2 pounds Maine hardshell lobsters on the Canada/New England menus , so let's try to suggest things that might be possible.

I would like to see whole wheat pasta available at the pasta station in Lido all the time. Not just a rare now and then, at best.

Maybe some "oldies but goodies" could be brought back. Things like Chicken Cordon Bleu ... made fresh, not the frozen stuff. I've never seen baked sweet potato offered on board a ship, and I'd like to see those available from time to time.

God help me, they are asking for whole wheat bread and I mentioned Chocolate tulip!!:eek: :eek: Oh RuthC where are you when we need you???;) LOL LOL

Actually, I think it would be lovely to have some 7 grain alternatives also, along with fresh pineapple each and every day!:D

I've never seen baked sweet potato offered on board a ship, and I'd like to see those available from time to time.

Yes, yes, yes......... I am so there with you, Jim. I'd love if they offered a plain baked sweet potato.

In keeping with the whole wheat theme, how about whole wheat bread with 5 gms of fiber, in each slice.

Hammy.......

Yes, Yes, Yes.......... Whole wheat breads with fiber!

It would be wonderful if along with the treats the cruise lines know guests want to enjoy on vacation, many of us also want to stay with our healthy eating plans.

We cruise a great many days a year and I simply can't just say "Oh What the Heck, I'm on vacation! " It's too many weeks to put aside my healthy eating and it sometimes get limiting and boring.

Add a baked sweet potato, whole what pasta and bread and it makes a big difference for someone like me.....without stretching their food budget ridiculously. Those are moderately priced but healthy carbs.

God help me, they are asking for whole wheat bread and I mentioned Chocolate tulip!!:eek: :eek: Oh RuthC where are you when we need you???;) LOL LOL

Actually, I think it would be lovely to have some 7 grain alternatives also, along with fresh pineapple each and every day!:D

Whole wheat, sweet potato and pineapple balances chocolate tulips better than the tacos/cheese, where I usually hang out. :)

I'd be thrilled with some nutty brown rice (ala P.F. Chang's or Pei Wei).

I'll have to think on this some more. When we were on HAL for 20-days earlier this year, I was NOT impressed with the menu. I ordered off the 'always available' more than I ever have before. I wouldn't have minded so much if the salmon wasn't over cooked a good part of the time. Sorry Rudi, your menu doesn't thrill me. :rolleyes:

It was very nice that we received surveys twice during the cruise about the dining room. The menu always received poor marks from us, but once the ship has sailed (or even ordered the food stuffs for the cruise) it is too late at that point to change anything.

I wonder how many desserts are now made aboard the ship? How many are purchased fully prepared and frozen?

I'm only asking....... I have no clue the answer.

One thing I do know is that they are still baking their own bread...we were in a cabin right above the bakery and the most heavenly smells would happen in the wee hours of the morning.....:D

My absolute favorite breakfast or supper meal is a cheese omlet with peanut butter on the side. Put the pb on the omlet when served and dream you are in heaven. :)

YMMV.

I would love HAL to return to their chocolate mousse tulips instead of the chefs hat..... The chocolate tulips were to die for, but they seem to have disappeared from the menu! :rolleyes:

I will second that. Bring back the chocolate tulips. :)

One thing I do know is that they are still baking their own bread...we were in a cabin right above the bakery and the most heavenly smells would happen in the wee hours of the morning.....:D

Location Location Location :)

I reviewed some of the menus from past sailings (someone had a link in their sig line) and was quite disappointed with the desserts. So for me, a good dark chocolate cake (even if made with whole wheat flour :) ), and a dessert souffle every night.

As for entrees, a little bit of Cajun or Creole would be nice, along with the odd bit of Thai. A good 4 oz filet (the only beef I eat), if they could figure out some way of not having people order 4 of them at a meal. And possibly a pasta dish with lobster or crab. I'd be in heaven :)

Regional foods. In New Zealand they only had Kiwi Fruit two days.

Plain fat free yogurt.

More fresh fruit. We didn't have any in our cabin.

Flavourful food from other ethnic cuisines.

I'd like to see a chef's salad added to the 'always available' menu.

Some of my favorite restaurant meals similar to what I'd like to see on HAL:

grilled chicken breast stuffed with prosciutto and smoked provolone and gouda cheeses. Topped with a lemon-basil butter sauce and served with sauteed asparagus.

grilled chicken breast marinated in garlic, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, rosemary and a touch of honey

grilled steak served with sun-dried tomato cream sauce, sautéed mushrooms, asparagus, cherry tomatoes (ok, I pick the mushrooms out to give to DH)

baked fillet of orange roughy stuffed with a lobster, shrimp, vegetable and sherry wine mixture. Topped with a lobster-cream sauce and served with sautéed asparagus

roasted salmon topped with sun-dried tomatoes, pesto cream sauce and pine nuts served with oven roasted vegetables - my favorite!!!

I just find too much on Chef Rudi's menus that has mushrooms I can't pick out. I can't stand the earthy taste of fungus. :rolleyes: A major reason I pass on the Master Chef's Dinner.

More fresh fruit. We didn't have any in our cabin.

There is a card in the cabins to give to your steward requesting the types of fresh fruit you'd like to have in the cabin. That way fruit doesn't go to waste, either the wrong types of fruit or those passengers who don't care for fruit in the cabins.

I'd also like to have more regional foods. One option a night would be nice.

grilled chicken breast stuffed with prosciutto and smoked provolone and gouda cheeses. Topped with a lemon-basil butter sauce and served with sauteed asparagus.

grilled chicken breast marinated in garlic, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, rosemary and a touch of honey

grilled steak served with sun-dried tomato cream sauce, sautéed mushrooms, asparagus, cherry tomatoes (ok, I pick the mushrooms out to give to DH)

baked fillet of orange roughy stuffed with a lobster, shrimp, vegetable and sherry wine mixture. Topped with a lobster-cream sauce and served with sautéed asparagus

roasted salmon topped with sun-dried tomatoes, pesto cream sauce and pine nuts served with oven roasted vegetables - my favorite!!!

I just find too much on Chef Rudi's menus that has mushrooms I can't pick out. I can't stand the earthy taste of fungus. :rolleyes: A major reason I pass on the Master Chef's Dinner.

Oh my goodness..... :D :D This is an example to me of how hard it is for them to please all of us.

I read every one of your menu suggestions and I KNOW for sure there are lots of folks here agree they would enjoy them.....there is not a one I would eat or order. I NEVER have any sort of cream sauce. So many of your choices have CREAM sauce. Groan. I'd be unable to order any of them and would be no dinner for me if a menu were full of that.

Your chicken with balsamic, dijon and honey doesn't work for me either.

Did you get those from some menu in a restaurant you eat at? Or, are you imaging they'd be tasty combinations?

But I LOVE all mushrooms cooked every way you can imagine and even load my lunch salad with raw sliced mushrooms.

Oh my goodness..... :D :D This is an example to me of how hard it is for them to please all of us.

I read every one of your menu suggestions and I KNOW for sure there are lots of folks here agree they would enjoy them.....there is not a one I would eat or order. I NEVER have any sort of cream sauce. So many of your choices have CREAM sauce. Groan. I'd be unable to order any of them and would be no dinner for me if a menu were full of that.

Your chicken with balsamic, dijon and honey doesn't work for me either.

But I LOVE all mushrooms cooked every way you can imagine and even load my lunch salad with raw sliced mushrooms.

Sail, I certainly don't want all these choices on A menu, but sprinkled throughout 20 days or so would be fine. I NEVER said I wanted a "menu were full of that". I'm just looking for options. NO one would force you to order any. ;) Yes, three of my six choices did have cream (I watch carbs - cream is ok, but I don't have a heart condition). I'd be quite happy with plain pesto on my roasted salmon. Honestly, I didn't take you tastes into consideration when I gave choices we'd like. I apologize for my thoughtlessness.

I realized I was in trouble when on day 5 (of 20) that I'd ordered the salmon off the 'always available' for 3 nights and it was overcooked twice. After that I moved on to the herb chicken when ordering off that section.

I don't expect you to order what I like - and I sure hope you don't expect others to only have choices you'd order. I'm just looking for options. That is what is great about ordering off a decent menu, choices for everyone. I just don't find Chef Rudi's menus decent.

Ahoy!

...old fashioned lobster tank in the PG available for those who wish, perhaps, to pay a little more (above & beyond the 30 clams/pp fee) for fresh lobster versus waiting for the 'frozen tail & 'unbaked alaska' night.

Bon Appetit!

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

On our recent cruise my wife was just saying she would have liked a nice dinner sized chef salad . Some nights you just don't feel like a big meal or anything too rich, or heavy , or creamy and a nice salad would be just the ticket.

That Orange Roughy entree of yours sounds very very good :)

Archived