Cigarette sales onboard?

Ahoy!

...individual packs, cartons or 'mondo' box (multi cartons). Selection limited (e.g.Marboros, etc.). Cigars also available (better selection).

Inexpensive (generic) packs are available to use while visiting ports to pass out to the children.;)

Hope this helps.

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

P.S. Visit the closet only when you must.

I prefer Newport lights - available in the US, harder to find overseas. A call to Holland in advance seemed to do the trick - great prices by the carton on board - just couldn't brng myself to use up all that room in the suitcase to bring them back.

NY wants to tack on another dollar a pack in tax (making 75% of the cost tax) - may bring back three suitecases full this time :eek: .

I prefer Newport lights - available in the US, harder to find overseas. A call to Holland in advance seemed to do the trick - great prices by the carton on board - just couldn't brng myself to use up all that room in the suitcase to bring them back.

NY wants to tack on another dollar a pack in tax (making 75% of the cost tax) - may bring back three suitecases full this time :eek: .

Hey Neighbor :)

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. CT is not far behind you. Our Governor was on the news moaning the blues that we are broke. So God knows what we will get hit with.

Just got back last week from a cruise and cartons were like 18.00 a carton with some of the multi pack specials.

Makes it worth bringing an empty steamer trunk or two :)

they have a 5 cartons for $79.90 in a convienent carrying pack. Remember US Customs limits pax to brining back just 100 cigarettes pp. That's one carton each.

You know what I have never understood ?

Customs says you can only bring back 1 carton per person. Yet the ships stores sell 2 and 5 carton packs.

The same with liqour, You can only bring back 1 liter person , but they sell 2 and 3 liter bottles of liqour or offer two bottle specials.

they have a 5 cartons for $79.90 in a convienent carrying pack. Remember US Customs limits pax to brining back just 100 cigarettes pp. That's one carton each.

There are 200 cigarettes in a carton. The allowance is:

"A traveler may include up to 100 cigars and 200 cigarettes (one carton) in the $800 exemption from duty."

We found them in St. Martin and occasionally in St. Thomas. Nanette and my friend Michele can search together for them on our 20 day cruise this Nov. a request to HAL might find them in DFS on board?

You know what I have never understood ?

Customs says you can only bring back 1 carton per person. Yet the ships stores sell 2 and 5 carton packs.

The same with liqour, You can only bring back 1 liter person , but they sell 2 and 3 liter bottles of liqour or offer two bottle specials.

You can bring back more, you'll just pay duty.

On the Veendam you could get individual packs at the Ocean Bar, which my mother did. Cartons are sold in the store. If you are going to St. Thomas, cigarettes there I believe were $16.99 per carton.

There are 200 cigarettes in a carton. The allowance is:

"A traveler may include up to 100 cigars and 200 cigarettes (one carton) in the $800 exemption from duty."

Ooops, those pesky math skills, they were right, you lose it if you don't use it :o

ps we never had any problem getting 100's on a cruise although on long voyages they do sell out faster.

You can bring back more, you'll just pay duty.

What's the duty? Since I live in one of the states that are solving all their financial woes with taxes on cigarettes, it's still got to be cheaper. Is it different on different cruise itineraries?

I figured I can fly RT to Florida, buy six cartons of cigarettes and the money I saved is equal to the price of the flight.

If you buy your cigarettes in St. Thomas, which is a US Virgin Island, you are allowed 5 cartons per person.

That is correct. Here's the information, direct from U.S. Customs:

$1,600 Exemption

If you return directly or indirectly from a U.S. insular

possession (U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, or

Guam), you are allowed a $1,600 duty-free exemption.

If you travel to a U.S. insular possession and to one

or more of the Caribbean Basin or Andean countries

listed above, let’s say on a Caribbean cruise, you may

bring back $1,600 worth of items without paying

duty, but only $800 worth of these items may come

from the Caribbean Basin or Andean country(ies).

Any amount beyond $800 will be dutiable unless

you acquired it in one of the insular possessions. For

example, if you were to travel to the U.S. Virgin

Islands and Jamaica, you would be allowed to bring

back $1,600 worth of merchandise duty free, as long

as only $800 worth was acquired in Jamaica.

Also, you may include 1,000 cigarettes as part of the

$1600 exemption, but at least 800 of them must have

been acquired in an insular possession. Only 200 cigarettes

may have been acquired elsewhere. For example,

if you were touring the South Pacific and you stopped

in Tahiti, American Samoa, and other ports of call,

you could bring back five cartons of cigarettes, but

four of them would have to have been bought in

American Samoa.

Similarly, you may include five liters of alcoholic

beverages in your duty-free exemption, but one of

them must be a product of an insular possession. Four

may be products of other countries (see section on

What's the duty?

The answer is, it depends on where you bought the cigarettes AND where the cigarettes themselves were made (are you, basically, trying to reimport a previously exported U.S. product, like Marlboro cigarettes, for example). Here's what Customs has to say (my comments in parenthesis and in red):

Travelers may import previously exported tobacco products only in quantities not exceeding the amounts specified in exemptions for which the traveler qualifies (currently 1 carton/200 cigs per person purchased in foreign countries or 5 cartons/1000 cigarettes if purchased in a U.S. territory--like St. Thomas USVI, with one of those allowable from a foreign country). Any quantities of previously exported tobacco products not permitted by an exemption will be seized and destroyed (in other words, for reimported cigs you can't simply buy over your limit and pay duty...though it appears--based on the example below--that you CAN buy over your exemption and pay duty if the cigarettes are foreign made such as Dunhill, Silk Cuts, etc.). These items are typically purchased in duty-free stores, on carriers operating internationally, or in foreign stores. These items are usually marked “Tax Exempt. For Use Outside the United States,” or “U.S. Tax Exempt For Use Outside the United States.”

For example, a returning resident is eligible for the $800 exemption, which includes not more than 200 cigarettes and 100 cigars:

• If the resident declares 400 previously exported cigarettes, the resident would be permitted 200 cigarettes tax-free under the exemption and the remaining 200 previously exported cigarettes would be confiscated.

• If the resident declares 400 cigarettes, of which 200 are previously exported and 200 not previously exported, the resident would be permitted

to import the 200 previously exported cigarettes tax free under the exemption and the resident would be charged duty and tax on the remaining

200 foreign-made cigarettes.

Alaska is an American state and therefore subject to all US taxes and levies. You would be limited to 200 cigs pp. As they would not be reimported you could choose to pay the taxes on the excess.

Ahoy!

...individual packs, cartons or 'mondo' box (multi cartons). Selection limited (e.g.Marboros, etc.). Cigars also available (better selection).

Inexpensive (generic) packs are available to use while visiting ports to pass out to the children.;)

Can you buy individual boxes at some/all of the bars onboard that you can use during the cruise? That's how it's done on Carnival as what you buy in the Duty Free shops on board they keep for you till the end of the cruise (at least, that's been my experiance). :( I was just wondering if HAL does it the same way. I just don't want to fill my luggage with enough ciggarette boxes to last the entire cruise and end up with not enough room for all the clothes I want to take!! :eek: I'd rather bring 1-2 boxes and buy other onboard as I need them.

Thanks!! :D

PS - I promise to be courtious (sp) to all non-smokers aboard the Eurodam's New Years cruise!! :D

Can you buy individual boxes at some/all of the bars onboard that you can use during the cruise? That's how it's done on Carnival as what you buy in the Duty Free shops on board they keep for you till the end of the cruise (at least, that's been my experiance). :( I was just wondering if HAL does it the same way. I just don't want to fill my luggage with enough ciggarette boxes to last the entire cruise and end up with not enough room for all the clothes I want to take!! :eek: I'd rather bring 1-2 boxes and buy other onboard as I need them.

Thanks!! :D

PS - I promise to be courtious (sp) to all non-smokers aboard the Eurodam's New Years cruise!! :D

You can buy a pack in the HAL bars that allow smoking and you can by cartons in the HAL duty free shop and take them with you.

Just off a 18 day cruise (4/15/08 TO 5/2/08)

Ray

You can buy a pack in the HAL bars that allow smoking and you can by cartons in the HAL duty free shop and take them with you.

Just off a 18 day cruise (4/15/08 TO 5/2/08)

Ray

Thanks!! :D It's good to know that they let you keep what you buy in the Duty Free shops (at least for cigarrettes). Does that go for booze as well?

I hope you had a great time on your 18 day cruise. I went on a 17 day one once and it was wonderful!! :D

Archived