Beach minimum Caribbean cruise

Are there any Caribbean cruises that focus more on nature viewing/sightseeing then time spent on the beach? I'm not much of a beach person but with the prices of Caribbean cruises being as low as they are, it might be worth a try.

Are there any Caribbean cruises that focus more on nature viewing/sightseeing then time spent on the beach? I'm not much of a beach person but with the prices of Caribbean cruises being as low as they are, it might be worth a try.

Caribbean Cruises, as a rule, don't particularly have a "focus". The ship takes you to the port and you make your own "focus". They will offer excursions that will appeal to beach and "non" beach lovers.

My mother is NOT a beach person either, and she's been on 30-something caribbean cruises because my father refused to go to Alaska! She actually went to the beach for the first time in almost thirty years while we were in Bermuda this past September. Anyway....if you're really into exploring and interesting non-beach excursions, I'd do the deep Southern Caribbean. There are alot more rain forests, interesting history, AND fabulous shopping. Whenever I do non-beach excursions in the Western Caribbean I just get overheated and want to jump into the ocean. :eek:

Laura

Consider a partial Panama Canal cruise. Visit Costa Rica, Belize, Panama. there are tours aimed right in your direction at these three destinations.

I am not into that stuff.....heck, I still remember when a rain forest was called a Jungle.

I am not into that stuff.....heck, I still remember when a rain forest was called a Jungle.

Isn't Rain Forest a hamburger joint at Disneyworld?

Western Caribbean cruises offer tours to Mayan ruins. We've been on fouteen cruises--all Bahamas and Caribbean. The only time we have been to beaches is on Labadee and Coco Cay. The rest of the time, we take island historic and scenic tours. Almost every port offers tours such as that.

While I love a beach, I can do that with a land trip, so we're more into the culture when we do a cruise. We're going to do W Car that includes Costa Maya, Cozumel, Progresso, Roatan and see as many ruins as we can.

As others have said, what you do in port is entirely up to you. Check Ports of Call section of the board to see what others have done in the various ports.

While I love a beach, I can do that with a land trip, so we're more into the culture when we do a cruise. We're going to do W Car that includes Costa Maya, Cozumel, Progresso, Roatan and see as many ruins as we can.

As others have said, what you do in port is entirely up to you. Check Ports of Call section of the board to see what others have done in the various ports.

Thanks all for your suggestions. A Mayan Christmas does sound like fun!

And - don't rule out staying on the ship! I have friends that have cruised everywhere - so port days they stay on the ship - the spa runs specials, the pools/decks are empty, the restaurants are empty - they just enjoy having a ship for 3000 only having 500 or so on it ;)

Archived