What do YOU carry your beach stuff in ?

CjKd

We are looking for a big, comfortable when wearing, waterproof beach tote that we can stuff my towels, suntan lotion and other beach stuff in when we head to the sand after we dock. We'd like it to zip and not be clear vinyl.

One more thing... nothing too girly for the man when carrying it, any suggestions??? Thank you! :)

We have mesh backpacks - they fold flat for easy packing and hold LOADS of stuff. I found them at Walmart, hanging up near the register and also in the luggage area - for less than $5. There is an inside drawstring plus a buckle on the outside. I like a backpack better than a bag because I have arthritis and my shoulders always ache after carrying a tote with all that stuff in it, but not with the backpack.

Well, I work in a library, am studying to be a librarian, and read a lot so my house is oozing with tote bags. :D

I plan on carrying a cheapy canvas zip tote that I got from Books a Million with me to the beach. However I also have as backup a cute plaid tote that snaps in case I feel like impressing people with my awesome style. lol

Each of my totes are large enough to carry a towel for one, sunscreen, and a book but thats about it. My BF, he'll be carrying his beach stuff in a backpack, along with his skateboard. :rolleyes:

I would go mesh if I were you. Target has some that are cute and right around $20.

Here's a link:

http://www.target.com/Beach-Totes-Handbags-Accessories-Women/b/601-4261899-2312923?ie=UTF8&node=505051011

We spend a lot of time at the beach in the summer and I go through about a bag a season. For me the best solution is a canvas tote with a plasticized lining. I used to use a cotton tote, but something more substantial keeps the sand out, plus can handle more wet towels. We do have a net bag for wet swimsuits, and a waterproof wallet for credit cards, cash & the Seapass. It's always helpful to have at least one zipper compartment for camera/iPod, etc.

The bag we're using these days was bought in St. Lucia (about $8), but in the past we've bought at LL Bean, Lands End or even Target

I love my L.L. Bean totes, and got them for my family members for our next cruise, here's a picture, (I hope) There alot bigger than they look, and will be perfect for towel, book, sunscreen, water bottle... and there a great way to remember my parents 60th anniversary! I'm dying to use mine, but the cruise is getting here fast.

563172316_llbean003.jpg.828fdeb15152a2a71cac268c70ed6a8e.jpg

We're going to use a tote with a plastic bottom and zippered top that my future MIL (in one and 1/2 weeks) got us for a wedding present. It's pretty big, but it will hold our laptop and my purse on the way down and then be a beach tote for the trip! Definately big enough for two towels, books, drinks, HECK you could put just about anything in there. It's pretty light empty, but will have enough space to put any purchases in it.

I've started using the drawstring backpacks that you find every where. They hold a lot and are so easy to carry. I sew, so I've made some that are really cute. And, they are inexpensive if you wan't to buy them. I even have one that I got from a business conference for free.

We bought a wonderful mesh bag from Saltwater Canvas last year. Not cheap- but I have a feeling it is going to last many, many years! Lots of pockets around the outside, key hook, many color choices- ours is dark blue and green straps. Best part- folded very flat to carry in the suitcase. Used it to cart laundry as well as beach gear!

-JC in CA

I am addicted to tote bags and have many shapes, sizes & materials in my closet (including several boat totes from LL Bean) I don't travel with open totes though--use those for groceries and day trips in the car. For vacations involving airplane travel (which includes all cruises for us) I use my Timbuk2 nylon tote with a zipper top. It's a great carry-on bag and does great for beach or pool trips. For other shore excursions, when I don't need to carry as much equipment, I just use my healthy back bag--it's large enough for my water bottle, binocs & camera....

This is similar to the bag I have, but I found mine a few years ago for a great price at sierratradingpost.com

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/totes/wire-cargo-tote

I have a silver carryall and a silver bag from Neiman Marcus.

Mesh gets sand all in everything.

Used LL Bean boat and tote bags for years and my parents have used them for at least 30 years or more. The same pair.

Used LL Bean boat and tote bags for years and my parents have used them for at least 30 years or more. The same pair.

Yep, my oldest one was purchased in Freeport on the way back from sailing camp on Deer Isle. In 1985:p Not quite 30 years, but I'm confident it will still be around to pass that milestone!

I just prefer to have something that zips to use as an airplane carry-on, and the Timbuk2 has a waterproof liner--better than canvas for me for travel. I know that there are new Boat Tote versions that do have a zipper--and the next one I buy will have a zipper:D

Never leave home without my LL Bean tote. They come in all shapes, sizes and colors. Jan

Definitely agree with the L.L. Bean bags! I use these to go the beach even though they're not waterproof. Sometimes I'll use the Longchamp bags b/c they're technically waterproof but not sure if you would want to get it wet considering the price on those things. But I am happy to report that I once took it to a Six Flags near me and got soaked on a ride but the Longchamp bag survived with no blemishes or water marks!:D

I have found some bags that look like the Longchamp ones at places like Marshall's or TJ Maxx that will zip and are pretty much equally waterproof. They come in all colors so a black or a tan can be pretty male-friendly.

• 2 weeks later...

I carry everything in our LL Bean or Lands End Canvas totes primarily b/c if we hit the shops first I need a strong handled tote to handle the extra weight on top of our snorkels, snorkeling equipment, towels, etc.

Archived