Guy gift ideas

I have great ideas for the girls/ladies that I want to buy for. But what ideas do you have for the teen guys/men in your life. We are going on a Western Med. Cruise and would love to bring them back something interesting or nice. Not just a t-shirt. :D lol What should I be looking for?

Thanks.

missty

Well, one thing I always end up bringing back for at least some of the guys is booze. (Sorry, gentlemen, am not suggesting that you're all lushes or something!) Every place, more or less, has a local/regional/national liqueur or wine that you'd have difficulty buying back home. Just be sure to pack it--CAREFULLY--in your checked bags because you can't take it on board in your carryon when you fly back.

You'll probably come across random nice things as you go, too. On Patmos, e.g., they hand-paint and gild these gorgeous little stone paperweights, painting the image of St. John from the Cave of the Apocalypse. That's a cool thing to have on your desk at work, very high quality. In Rome they have little faux-marble statuettes of the Colosseum and such things, some of which are actually kind of classy. You'll find things--I've shopped for lots of men over the years and have always been able to find something!

My brother loves liqueurs....not liquor but flavored after dinner liqueurs.

Every place we went I picked up a small sample bottle of the local one for him. In Greece it was Ouzo, Naples - limoncello etc. etc. etc. I also had dh take a picture (digital) of me in/outside the shop/market where I bought it holding it up. Tried to get a sign in the picture too.

Then I took a box and put the bottles and pictures in it and wrapped it up. He had fun tasting all of them and putting a place with the taste :D

I don't know about men (and I am one), but here's what we've done for our two boys (age 13 and 10) and they love it: we buy them a soccer jersey from each country we visit. They don't follow soccer, and neither do we, but it's a cool souvenir from a specific place. They like wearing them to school and explaining to their friends and teachers where they are from. I don't know how this translates to older teens or men, but there's our idea.

Last year we picked up jerseys in the Czech Republic, Spain (FC Barcelona), Italy (one generic/national team and one pink Palermo uniform), Malta, and Tunisia. The one in Tunisia was hard to find and we paid way too much, but we had to keep up the trend.

If you happen to be going to Croatia, you can always buy a tie. Ties (cravats) were started here. I know it sounds mundane, another tie, but having one from the birthplace of ties might be fun.

There is also leather goods in Italy, wallets, belts, etc.

• 8 months later...

krclayton, I love your idea about soccer jerseys, but not as gifts but for myself. I am not an avid soccer fan but do follow it somewhat. On our upcoming cruise I figured I wasn't going to be buying much just knick-knacks and stuff like that.

Thanks for the idea.

Archived