No Smiling??

pteague

I got my first passport in 1987 and was told not to smile in the photo, so I believe that rule has been in place for many years. Have you ever looked at your ancestors photos on their passports or travel documents if from a foreign country??? :eek:

Then I renewed in 1997 and again in 2007, and once again was told not to smile. So I don't think this is something new. I think it just depends on who is taking the photo. The Post Office seems to be the most strict at adhereing to the rules. But why take a chance that it won't be accepted? Just don't smile when you have your photo taken. It's legal identification, not a fashion show.

Yup! They want a neutral, closed mouth image. Perhaps it is needed for "photo identity recognition software" to be more effective :D.

This is what I've been told when I get a drivers license as well--don't smile because the recognition software works best with neutral features:p

In the old days (real old!) they didn't smile in photographs because the exposures took too long and the expression was too difficult to maintain without moving. A neutral expression is much easier to hold onto for a long time.....

We recently had our renewals done at AAA. They were very specific...no smiling...no teeth. We looked like we were having our mug shots taken.

We went to AAA last weekend to get DH's passport photos and had the same experience. The guy said he had to have a "neutral" expression and had to re-take the photo because he claimed that DH had a slight grin the first time. I didn't see it, but whatever...

To be fair, I got my passport in '05 and didn't smile for the picture, because I was told then that smiling is not allowed. I don't think this is a new perception/requirement.

Long ago when we had our picture taken for our first passports our friend was a travel agent & she told us to try & look as tired as possible so our pictures would match our faces after a transatlantic flight! We laughed then...no knowing how true this would be! Ours look like mug shots as well!

Jan

Had mine taken for renewal a couple of months ago

No smiling.. They actually said that!

Same here, had my renewal pics taken last week and the guy told me no smiling. Said Passport agency says neutral face, he said they want almost a mug shot but not as bad.

On my previous passport photo I had a slight smile, but that was ten years ago and I honesty can't remember if they told me not to smile.

This is a quote from the Passport Canada website:

"Applicant must show a neutral facial expression (no smiling, mouth closed) and look straight at the camera."

Our first couple of passports show us smiling, but even the last ones (issued 4 years ago) are the non-smiling type of photo.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We have to get new passports at the end of the year. At the last two times we were not told to not smile. I looked at my current passport and I have a grin but not a big smile. I guess we will be told this time to make it look like a mug shot on Law and Order! Thanks for the heads up.

I had mine taken in 2005 and was not told not to smile. DW had hers taken last week and was not told not to smile. Multiple people in my office have had theirs taken in the last couple of years and were not told not to smile. A guy who sits near me just had his taken a few days ago and has a smile on his face.

I'm pretty sure they're not going to reject it (here in the US at least) as long as it looks pretty normal.

I had mine taken in 2005 and was not told not to smile. DW had hers taken last week and was not told not to smile. Multiple people in my office have had theirs taken in the last couple of years and were not told not to smile. A guy who sits near me just had his taken a few days ago and has a smile on his face.

I'm pretty sure they're not going to reject it (here in the US at least) as long as it looks pretty normal.

I guess it wasn't that big of a deal since I went last Friday to apply for one and just got it today (1 week later). That's what I call fast service!:eek: I noticed that I'm not smiling as big as I would in a normal picture, but I do have a slight smile to my face. I'm still trying to get over the fact that it only took 1 week to get here! They told me it would take 4 weeks. Pleasantly surprised.:)

They want the picture to match what we all look like after an eight hour flight in the middle seat between the BIG guy and the screaming baby, dragging our bags through an unfamiliar airport and being asked if we are there on business or pleasure?

No matter how much I am looking forward to my vacation, I am probably NOT smiling. :)

Cheers

Mark

My daughters passport was renewed in January of this year and she is smiling and showing teeth. It's a really cute picture of her, too :) Especially because, at age 16, she's usually rolling her eyes and making the sound of having a hairball stuck in her throat at me. In a couple of years I know she'll be human again.

The photographer gave me a 4 X 6 of the pic in color, it's a keeper!

We got our passports last year. Our pictures were taken at the Walgreens two weeks apart. I was told "NO SMILING" my SO was not told this. My picture looks like a police photo his looks natural.

We did our own. Simple to take photo in front of white wall. Then to epassportphoto and upload your photo. Follow the online directions for sizing photo (the site does it for you) then download it to your computer. I'm not kidding about this. I've done 7 for our family and it only takes about 30 seconds each. You can then print out your own or upload it to your local 1 hr.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/guide/guide_2081.html

gives requirements for photos. We did not smile in ours and yes, they do look like mug shots.

I am in serious trouble, thank goodness I still have 8 years left on my passport. As soon as someone tells me not to smile or laugh, that's it, I crack up and can't stop like some goofy adolesent!!

Archived