Why do people get irritated with Diamond/+ members for not waiting in line as much?

Having been out of 6 different ports with Rccl,it seems each port is handled a little different.San Juan is a little wierd because when you enter the building you are right at check in.As Diamond,we like the priority check in but never thought of it making us special.We like getting off the ship first,as we live in Fl. and are able to drive to cruises because it allows us to clear the port before it gets crazy. But,rather you do or don't have this perk,does it really matter.

By the way,last year on the Freedom,there was 1800 sales people from one company that got to board first.I had to understand if someone buys 1800 tickets and wants to go first,they probably will get to.

A big part of the problem in this instance is that Pier 35 in San Francisco is just a wharehouse on a pier. It really is not set up as a normal cruise terminal as you would expect to see in other ports. It's in deplorable shape.

Had I not known about San Francisco, I would have walked to the front of the line and asked about a diamond line. I'm sure that the D+ person was not aware that the doors to enter were closed until they walked to the front. I don't see any problem with them asking.

I have cruised the Mariner five times, and never found and or was offered a waiting area as you described. Not saying it isn't so. (but I will take note) as I will be on Mariner on the 31st of August... outside in the hot sun. Once inside, I will use the diamond line (if it is shorter) for boarding.
In Port Canaveral, there is a general waiting line to get into the terminal and then to go through security. After that, you take an escalator upstairs. There are special check-in stations for diamond and Platinium and suites. After we checked in last time -- Jan. 2007, we were permitted to sit in an area in the middle of the check-in room and got priority boarding. Don't know if that was because we were also in a JS and our friend was in a GS. It was nice and will update CC about this procedures in my beloved Port C. Even without any priority boarding, we have gotten through check-in and on the ship very quickly.

As diamond plus I do expect priority service, I have spent a great deal of $$ over the years with RCL.

My pet peeve is that they allow large groups and family members that are only diamond by association (same address not same amount of cruises) to board first.

I know many people claim diamond status that are not diamond entitled by using someone else's address.

So, what good is a "perk" if anybody can do it?

True diamond & diamond plus are the only ones that should receive the "perks". Newbies can complain all they want once they have earned the status themselves they will understand.:) :)

I am Diamond (4 cruises away from D+ and earned them all by myself, NO LIVE IN ADDRESS STATUS) and I don't feel like I'm any better than someone with their 1st cruise!!!!!!

I don't even take Advantage of the perks they offer, That is my preogative. I do take the cabin discount for my cruise's. As for Priority boarding ( we can wait in line..have the whole cruise to be on the ship), disembarking (most of the time the area is so crowded, I'd rather find my own quiet area to wait), CL, I don't use it( we don't drink much alcohol and don't need to go for breakfast there either), therfore, why should we take up space in the CL, when someone else who would like the use of the room, and can have a seat!

I agree Diamond & D+ should have that option to receive the perks they are entitled too. But they should NOT be Treated any different on a Cruise than the next person! Your perks start on the ship (except for the cabin discount), that doesn't mean you get Royalty treatment the entire Cruise. You get to frequent the areas and receive the perks that RC made available for D&D+ pax. You don't own the Crew and have no right expecting above and beyond treatment...just because of your Status!

Enjoy your cruise's and I'll continue to leave room (seats) open for you D&D+ members, to enjoy your perks!

But they should NOT be Treated any different on a Cruise than the next person! Your perks start on the ship (except for the cabin discount), that doesn't mean you get Royalty treatment the entire Cruise. You get to frequent the areas and receive the perks that RC made available for D&D+ pax. You don't own the Crew and have no right expecting above and beyond treatment...just because of your Status!

Where's that coming from? RCI does give above and beyond treatment for Diamond/Diamond Plus passengers.

My pet peeve is that they allow large groups and family members that are only diamond by association (same address not same amount of cruises) to board first.

I know many people claim diamond status that are not diamond entitled by using someone else's address.

So, what good is a "perk" if anybody can do it?

True diamond & diamond plus are the only ones that should receive the "perks". Newbies can complain all they want once they have earned the status themselves they will understand.:) :)

Oh good grief. "Anybody" can't do it, and a husband/wife should be able to use each other's credits.

Inside the cruise terminal Diamond passengers are valued, loyal guests and are entitled to the perks they have earned.

Outside the cruise terminal they are just the same as everybody else.

I have never seen a business/frequent flyer line outside of an airport terminal, or a train station or anywhere else for that matter, I dont see why a cruise terminal should be any different. :confused:

In Port Canaveral, there is a general waiting line to get into the terminal and then to go through security. After that, you take an escalator upstairs. There are special check-in stations for diamond and Platinium and suites. After we checked in last time -- Jan. 2007, we were permitted to sit in an area in the middle of the check-in room and got priority boarding. Don't know if that was because we were also in a JS and our friend was in a GS. It was nice and will update CC about this procedures in my beloved Port C. Even without any priority boarding, we have gotten through check-in and on the ship very quickly.

That's interesting. I've never encountered the chairs. I think things could go a lot faster, if they would let you bypass the ship photo... or have a separate line for those that want a picture. Quite frankly, after traveling and standing outside, I look like something the cat dragged in. So, sometimes there is a big backlog with the pictures.

On a ship with thousands of people, it really won't make any significatn difference if they move a few people to the front of the line based on their status.

I've never been in a line outside the building. If there was a line, then you probably go their too early (or too late).

Not completly true. At some of the ports there are special waiting areas before the security check point. I believe in Port Canaveral there is a waiting area before the security area and the people (platinum and above) get to go and wait and then are lead into security before everyone else. Even if they just got there before security opened and others had been waiting for a long time. Again not sure if this was the correct port but it does happen.:rolleyes:

In San Juan for the Empress, when we dropped our luggage off the doors were still closed and there was a line forming outside.

My husband and I were told not to get in the line. A gentleman took us up to the front to a separate waiting area and put us behind the special entertainers who were going to board the ship. We are only Diamond, we only had a JS, but yes we are old. :confused:

Was I going to turn that down? No!

Did I ask why? No!

PS, We still had to stand just as long as everyone else did outside in the heat. ;)

Yes, when I was platinum I cruised out of that port and I loved the set up there. We scanned our luggage, went up the escalator and sat in the center of terminal until a staff member came to the center to lead us to the platinum/diamond line.

That's interesting. I've never encountered the chairs. I think things could go a lot faster, if they would let you bypass the ship photo... or have a separate line for those that want a picture. Quite frankly, after traveling and standing outside, I look like something the cat dragged in. So, sometimes there is a big backlog with the pictures.

Hahaha...The photographer still nabbed us in the terminal before we reached the gangway.

Yes, when I was platinum I cruised out of that port and I loved the set up there. We scanned our luggage, went up the escalator and sat in the center of terminal until a staff member came to the center to lead us to the platinum/diamond line.

Hahaha...The photographer still nabbed us in the terminal before we reached the gangway.

On our last Mariner cruise, we just bypassed the photographer by walking by him very fast. Those pictures always look awful of me anyway. And we bought a table picture and one of my friend and I with the Captain so they made their money.

Wife & I are Diamond. If there is a separate, marked line/entrance for something, we will use it without a second thought. If there is not, then we are no different than anyone else and will go with the flow (or lack of flow!). I personally would consider it rude to demand something that is not offered in this situation.

I 100% agree with you. Couldn't have said it better myself!

My last cruise I was waiting in line to see the LA to buy some next cruises and there was a lady waiting in front of me. I asked her how long she had been waiting and she said 30 minutes and then she went on to say I'm a diamond member and I should'nt have to stand for this and she was going to report about the LA and how long she was making her wait when in fact it wasnt her fault, it was the couple the LA was waiting on that could'nt decide what they wanted to do about there next cruises.

She ended up waiting another 25 minutes and I made a comment that I was early dining and I'd probably have to leave, go eat and maybe get with the LA hopefully later and Mrs. Diamond member in front of me snickered and said, oh I'll just show up late to the dining room and they'll have to serve me because I'm a Diamond member. :mad: I looked at my DH and said, boy some people think they're better than others and have no respect for anyone except themselves and I'm so glad I'm not like that.

I will be a diamond member after my next cruise and the only things I'm looking forward to is my discounts and CL. :D

BOY SOME PEOPLE!:rolleyes:

In reading this thread, a number of thoughts come to mind. First, is that Florida is a standard departure port, RCCL should have had tents of some sort of shade or awnings there for everyone, especially since it appeared that some sort of delay was taking place. Not everyone is use to the Florida sun and humidity - since they are there on vacation usually from someplace else. This probably was not the first time, nor will it be the last. This is just basic customer service.

The next thought is that the C&A perks are not unlike the frequent flier statuses with the airlines - especially with an airline like Southwest, where its first on, first seated upon boarding (no assigned seating), and the various frequent flier levels get on the plane first (so that they take all of the overhead storage for carry-on luggage, and then on arrival can dash off). At many airports, first class and the frequent fliers get their own line (along with the flight crews) through security while everyone else waits in the rat mazes. Is it fair?

The last thought is that Diamond and Diamond plus levels do not necessarily infer that the holder(s) have any additional Class and Consideration.

... the husband....

We always bypass the embarkation photo... just walk on by...

My last cruise I was waiting in line to see the LA to buy some next cruises and there was a lady waiting in front of me. I asked her how long she had been waiting and she said 30 minutes and then she went on to say I'm a diamond member and I should'nt have to stand for this and she was going to report about the LA and how long she was making her wait when in fact it wasnt her fault, it was the couple the LA was waiting on that could'nt decide what they wanted to do about there next cruises.

She ended up waiting another 25 minutes and I made a comment that I was early dining and I'd probably have to leave, go eat and maybe get with the LA hopefully later and Mrs. Diamond member in front of me snickered and said, oh I'll just show up late to the dining room and they'll have to serve me because I'm a Diamond member. :mad: I looked at my DH and said, boy some people think they're better than others and have no respect for anyone except themselves and I'm so glad I'm not like that.

I will be a diamond member after my next cruise and the only things I'm looking forward to is my discounts and CL. :D

BOY SOME PEOPLE!:rolleyes:

You're right--that's ridiculous and rude, but not ALL people are like this. my family and I have many friends who work onboard the RCI fleet so trust me, we know what the deal is. A good amount of people you will come across are like this, but there are also a lot of nice, polite people (including crown and anchor members!) that do not carry themselves that way.

We are diamond plus Crown & Anchor Society members and appreciate all the perks that come with being diamond members. But, it would probably benefit everyone to realize the the Crown and Anchor Society isn't really a society at all.

It is instead a marketing tool that was designed to capture the loyality of repeat cruisers. And, it has been a tremendouly effective marketing tool. Too much so in some ways. Many of us are so entrenched with our perks that we deprive ourselves of experiencing other good cruise lines and itineraries.

While most platinum/diamond cruisers are wonderful folks, there are a few who think that their status places them in position somewhere between the ships' Captain and its first officer.

Not true. While we wear wear our diamond plus pins with pride we know that it doesn't make us better than anyone else. We are simple reaping a few rewards for sailing often with RCCL.

I think that people justifiably get irritated when others act rudely but I don't think that it is limited or restricted to Diamond and Diamond Plus members who may act that way. Those people would act in the same manner regardless of their membership status and, if they were not at Diamond or Diamond plus level in C&A, they would find another reason to justify their objectionable behavior. Stereotyping this kind of behavior as somehow being typical of C&A status is unfair to the thousands of members who have been fortunate enough to reach that status and don't allow it to give them any visions of grandeur.:rolleyes:

We are diamond plus Crown & Anchor Society members and appreciate all the perks that come with being diamond members. But, it would probably benefit everyone to realize the the Crown and Anchor Society isn't really a society at all.

It is instead a marketing tool that was designed to capture the loyality of repeat cruisers. And, it has been a tremendouly effective marketing tool. Too much so in some ways. Many of us are so entrenched with our perks that we deprive ourselves of experiencing other good cruise lines and itineraries.

While most platinum/diamond cruisers are wonderful folks, there are a few who think that their status places them in position somewhere between the ships' Captain and its first officer.

Not true. While we wear wear our diamond plus pins with pride we know that it doesn't make us better than anyone else. We are simple reaping a few rewards for sailing often with RCCL.

My thoughts exactly and something I expressed in another thread. It is a marketing tool to keep you cruising RCI.

Yes, but you don't get any elite perks until you passed through security. This is what we are discussing here. Once through security diamonds do have special privileges just as the airlines' elite members do.

That's not true, some airports have dedicated security lines that are just for upper tier members of the airlines' frequent flyer programs, or people sitting in business class. You don't have to line up with the huddled masses if you qualify.

In reading this thread, a number of thoughts come to mind. First, is that Florida is a standard departure port, RCCL should have had tents of some sort of shade or awnings there for everyone, especially since it appeared that some sort of delay was taking place. Not everyone is use to the Florida sun and humidity - since they are there on vacation usually from someplace else. This probably was not the first time, nor will it be the last. This is just basic customer service.

The next thought is that the C&A perks are not unlike the frequent flier statuses with the airlines - especially with an airline like Southwest, where its first on, first seated upon boarding (no assigned seating), and the various frequent flier levels get on the plane first (so that they take all of the overhead storage for carry-on luggage, and then on arrival can dash off). At many airports, first class and the frequent fliers get their own line (along with the flight crews) through security while everyone else waits in the rat mazes. Is it fair?

The last thought is that Diamond and Diamond plus levels do not necessarily infer that the holder(s) have any additional Class and Consideration.

... the husband....

Normal boarding at Florida ports is shown in the documents as 2:00pm, if people choose to arrive at the port early, then, to be honest, they should expect to wait.

Normal boarding at Florida ports is shown in the documents as 2:00pm, if people choose to arrive at the port early, then, to be honest, they should expect to wait.

While the documents show boarding time as 2pm, anyone who has sailed out of Florida ports and other departure ports or reads these boards with any regularity, knows that boarding "normally" begins before noon. We have been onboard as early as 11:15 am. The 2pm boarding time is sort of a CYA disclaimer that RCI uses to limit complaints in the event that there are unfortunate delays in clearing the ship after its previous cruise. :)

Archived