New Fuel Surchage Increase 5/1/08

Ok, I will bite one more time. Statements like

"There is no doubt the planet is currently warming at an unprecedented rate."

pretty much are political statements borrowed straight from Al Gore. There is absolute doubt of this statements accuracy. Just ask the folks in Ontario and Minnesota if their direct observations of this past winter match that statement!:D

Global changes could lead to our extinction, the planet will continue to do just fine without us. Since the goal is to save the planet, I just say don't worry it will be perfect with or without us.

jc

:eek: Don't drag us into this jc. How ya been? :D

:eek: Don't drag us into this jc. How ya been? :D

Doing great Bob! I know from some of my Ontario friends that they were actually able to go to the golf course recently.:D Isn't spring great. Winter is gone, and the sun shines brighter and longer and it gets so much warmer. :D

jc

Doing great Bob! I know from some of my Ontario friends that they were actually able to go to the golf course recently.:D Isn't spring great. Winter is gone, and the sun shines brighter and longer and it gets so much warmer. :D

jc

Yup!! All of the southern Ontario Clublink courses (think Clubcorp in the U.S.) opened up the same week as normal, April 18 to be exact. We had a tremendous amount of snow this winter, which is actually great for the golf courses. It insulates them - best opening conditions I've seen in many years. :)

HAHA... I knew your political ideology would not be able to remain unknown with that comment.:D Exactly why are you posting this on a cruise forum?:D

LMAO

jc

Didn't you see the smiley face? I was merely responding in kind to your inflamatory statement as a joke. Guess some people are too emotional about this topic to see thing clearly!! ROTFLMAO !!!!!

I feel that I've reiterated a number of times that I am currently booked to go on a cruise...so I'm not trying to accuse or imply anything about people's vacations. We are having a diaologue about an activity that may or may not be contributing to a potential environmental problem, and I think this is as good a forum as any.

I'm still going to enjoy my cruise...in fact, I can't wait!!! And I hope everyone else will too. Doesn't mean we can't think about what we're doing and think of whether there is a better/other way...even if it means off-setting some of these choices with other easy to change behaviors.

Nevertheless, I think I've said all I want to say. I'm glad to hear you are reading the science - surprised to hear that you think it has nothing to do with humans...but you are of course free to your opinion.

Everyone - please enjoy your cruise as I will enjoy mine and apologies if someone is offended by this diaologue.

Cheers!

I, too, have an open booking or "NextCruise" currently on hold, so I am sure I will be cruising again within the next three years, too. I love cruising and have 16 cruise credits and just started 4 years ago -- I got engaged on a transatlantic (Brilliance) and honeymooned on another transatlantic (Jewell) so I clearly enjoy cruises. My view is moderation and balance in our energy consumption. I am also concerened about the future of cruising, and the impact on the industry with the unprecedented increase of the price of oil. In a nutshell, that is what this thread is about. I have said alll I will say on this topic: To all participating in this topic, enjoy your cruises and conserve energy wherever you can. Simple. Adios!

It is partly this attitude that has raised the cost of fuel....if they raise it we will pay it. We are all so quick to point the finger at the oil companies when in fact it isn't just them.......you have the guys pulling the strings on the market that project the price, you have the oil producing countries,the oil companies and yes we to have something to do with it. Cutting back on your consumation of the product lowering the demand would help to lower the price........JMHO

I agree about the "demand" comments you are making.

The problem is that here in Los Angeles it is virtually impossible to get around efficiently without a car. Los Angeles is approximately 450 square miles!

The various mass transit vehicles are PACKED and the routes are very poorly laid out. You can waste an enormous amount of time trying to get from point A to point B using mass transit in Los Angeles. (For example, it took a lady I knew 4 hours to get from South LA to Chatsworth-31 miles one way!)

I will do my part to solve the "demand" problem by moving somewhere where mass transit is efficient when I retire in 2 years. :)

• 1 month later...

OK - now that the fuel surcharge is $10per person/per day, I think that RCI is getting REALLY greedy. RXI, Don't play cruisers for fools -- include this cost in the base rate, and stop these bait and switch tactics!!! Anybody else annoyed by this cheap trick?

OK - now that the fuel surcharge is $10per person/per day, I think that RCI is getting REALLY greedy. RXI, Don't play cruisers for fools -- include this cost in the base rate, and stop these bait and switch tactics!!! Anybody else annoyed by this cheap trick?

It is not greed (they are struggling economically) and it is not a cheap trick. If they included it in the base rate, it would even be higher as a percentage of the base rate goes as comission to TA's whereas this does not hold true for surcharges. Fuel surcharges are the reality of this decade and likely the next one as well. They are not pleasant, but they are necessary for RCL to try and stay afloat.

Taken from RCCL website under fuel supplement. More details found there.

As of June 30, 2008

As a result of ongoing record high fuel prices, bookings made on or after June 30, 2008, will be subject to a revised fuel supplement. The revised fuel supplement will apply to bookings made throughout the world on Royal Caribbean International.

For bookings made in United States and Canada:

For first and second guests in a stateroom, the fuel supplement will be $10 (U.S.D./CAN.) per-person, per-day, and no more than $140 (U.S.D./CAN.) per-person, per-cruise. Additional guests in a stateroom will be charged $5 (U.S.D./CAN.) per-person, per day, and no more than $70 (U.S.D./CAN.) per-person, per-cruise.

It is not greed (they are struggling economically) and it is not a cheap trick. If they included it in the base rate, it would even be higher as a percentage of the base rate goes as comission to TA's whereas this does not hold true for surcharges. Fuel surcharges are the reality of this decade and likely the next one as well. They are not pleasant, but they are necessary for RCL to try and stay afloat.

I agree with this, we may not like it, but it is the reality of today with the increasing demand of oil from other nations as well as our own and it effects everything we buy in one way or the other worldwide. RCCL is not only paying higher for fuel but food and supply costs also and the transportation to get it all to the ships has increased as well. The entire cruise industry is struggling to survive now. Cunard has left their fuel charge open ended. Whatever they decide is the charge at the time of your final pmt is what you pay avoiding the constant fuel increase notices altogether. At least RCCL locks in your charge when you book your cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

Now that RCI has conditioned its more passive cruisers to accept the Fuel supplement charges without protest, and now that RCI has become accustomed to the extra income generated by the supplement, do you think the supplement charge will ever be eliminated if oil prices drops down to levels prior to implementation of the surcharge? Do you think RCI will lower the current $10pp surcharge in response to recent drops in the price of oil? If so, when? My money is betting that it NEVER goes away, but am curious about the thoughts of others.

BTW: Wife and I finally booked our October cruise --but not on RCI. We decided to try Disney for the first time. BTW they don't do fuel surcharges.

Now that RCI has conditioned its more passive cruisers to accept the Fuel supplement charges without protest, and now that RCI has become accustomed to the extra income generated by the supplement, do you think the supplement charge will ever be eliminated if oil prices drops down to levels prior to implementation of the surcharge? Do you think RCI will lower the current $10pp surcharge in response to recent drops in the price of oil? If so, when? My money is betting that it NEVER goes away, but am curious about the thoughts of others.

BTW: Wife and I finally booked our October cruise --but not on RCI. We decided to try Disney for the first time. BTW they don't do fuel surcharges.

Actually Disney does have a fuel surcharge. I believe it is $8 per day for 1st and 2nd passengers.

I think that if oil did drop down substanitally further and stay down for over a month RCL would scale back the fuel surcharge to a lower level, but I just don't think oil is going to go down far enough and long enough to justify this. Even with the recent sell off it is far higher than last year at this time and there is no reason to believe it is not going to head back up in the near future.

Actually Disney does have a fuel surcharge. I believe it is $8 per day for 1st and 2nd passengers.

I think that if oil did drop down substanitally further and stay down for over a month RCL would scale back the fuel surcharge to a lower level, but I just don't think oil is going to go down far enough and long enough to justify this. Even with the recent sell off it is far higher than last year at this time and there is no reason to believe it is not going to head back up in the near future.

I agree. Let's wait a while and see if the current lower prices stay in effect, drop lower, or, as I think is more likely, begin to rise again. If the fuel prices continue to drop there will certainly be considerable pressure on all of the lines to reduce or eliminate the fuel surcharges and Florida's AG has certainly shown that he is not above using the power and influence of his office to effect such a result. I just wouldn't hold my breath waiting for prices to go much lower in the foreseeable future. The fact that the fuel surcharge remains a separate item at least makes it easier for us to see any changes in it, whether it be an increase or a reduction. Imagine what would have happened if they had merely hidden it in the total fare as some had suggested.:rolleyes:

CNBC this afternoon is showing oil was priced on January 1 at $96 a barrel......up 27% ytd even with the fall recently. With the price back up today to about $126 a barrel, oil will still be up around 32% YTD......

While I would like to think the surcharge will be reduced, I think it is here to stay, unless oil falls back down into the $70 to $80 range.......

I guess we can all hope...........but I'm not holding my breath........even with today's prices there is still a good argument for cruiselines to continue the surcharge in the foreseeable future.

Good news is gas today in OKC is down to $3.41 a gallon:) Never thought I would get excited about 3.41 a gallon gas.....LOL!!

Good news is gas today in OKC is down to $3.41 a gallon:) Never thought I would get excited about 3.41 a gallon gas.....LOL!!

Very nice; still well over $4 per gallon for regular unleaded in Chicago (aka Chitaxgo).

Archived