looking for recomendations for Geiranger

1) Don't miss the sail in down Geirangerfjord - some cruise lines have a Norwegian port lecturer doing a commentary as you sail from Hellysylt (shorex drop off port) to Geiranger - it's some of the best fjord scenery in Norway = the photos you always see in Norwegian tourist brochures.

** Make sure you look on both sides of the ship - many people get so focused on the 7 Sisters Waterfall that they miss the spectacular ones on the other side.

2) Here's the Geiranger Tourist Information Centre website which may give you some ideas

http://www.geiranger.no/english.html

3) The most spectacular view is from Mt Dalsnibba - at the top of the valley, looming over the town and the fjord - cruise lines always offer this as a shorex - problem is, if the weather isn't clear, you can get up there and not see a thing - but if it is clear, the view is unforgettable. If you don't book a shorex, it's hard to get there as taxis are very limited. It's a gamble either way.

4) There is spectacular walking/hiking up the valley from Geiranger. You can't get lost - just walk up the main road. First you'll come to a beautiful little church with a gorgeous view over the fjord from the cemetery -> then you'll come to a hotel and waterfall and the Fjord Centre - easy to visit on your own - don't take a shorex unless you can't walk up the hill.

If you continue up the road, you can walk to a fjord farm (Westeras) and/or another viewpoint at Flydal where all the buses stop on the way down from Mt Dalsnibba.

Enjoy my favourite part of the world!

And if you are reasonably fit you can keep going to the little cluster of wooden chalets and old farmhouse to the left (it becomes a well-worn track). These are holiday chalets but the farmhouse is a cafe too (you can see it from down below so you know where you are aimimg for). We thought the prices would be extortionate given there was nowhere else around for refreshments but we had coffee and home-made cheescake for £5 which we didn't think was too bad (2 years ago - perhaps more now?)

The lady from the cafe told us about her life as a child in Geiranger, demonstrated how she used to carry milk churns up from the village below and told us the history of the farmhouse which had all kinds of original artefacts on the walls. Fascinating! And the view down to the bottom of the valley was wonderful - the ship looked minute! Look out for the llamas grazing on the hillside too - I'm not joking!!! We couldn't believe we were seeing them in Norway. As already mentioned, make the most of the sail in and out of Geiranger - it's magical. Enjoy your trip it's a beautiful part of the world.

Go kayaking in the fjord. That beats anything on a bus, even if you remain at sea level.

It's definitely worth getting up early for the entire sail in. I was actually up before 5 am because of the sun, and sat down towards the bow with a map of the area, and stayed there for the entire trip in from the coast to Geiranger itself.

I was just researching our options for Geiranger yesterday, and I have a few questions as well!

Our ship is stopping in Hellesylt in the morning to drop off all-day excursions and then sailing on to Geiranger around noon. Is there any reason to stay aboard for the sail-in instead of doing a longer shore trip? Wouldn't we see the same sights when we sailed out again at 6pm?

Has anyone been there when Dalsnibba was actually clear?

How about walking to Flydalsjuvet?

Anyone know where I can get a good trail map online? The best I've found so far is this one, but it feels a bit vague.

A past Cunard cruiser recommended the ship's excursion with a 3-hour overland hike along Flofjellsveien, but I'm not sure the scenery looks that much different from other places we've hiked in Norway. Any feedback?

Thanks!!!

1) Enjoy my favourite part of the world!

It sounds like Luvnorway and Kruzseeka know Norway and what to do and see. You probably have Viking blood in your veins, like my wife. Here is our situation and we would like some help for next year.

1. We like smaller ships and one that holds up to 600 or so would be ideal.

2. The coast of Norway looks beautiful and the seven day trip shown by Hurtigruten seems like the one for us, BUT I HAVE LOTS OF QUESTIONS:

Are there any other cruise lines that would fit the bill?

What would you recommend as far as the actual Hurtigruten ship goes? We have a choice depending on departure date.

Has anyone done that trip and what shorex would you recommend?

Once in Kirkenes, and off the ship, is it still possible to do a land excursion there before flying back to Bergen?

What airline serves that northern town and are there weight limitations for luggage?

My wife's ancestors came from Luster, Ness and Skjolden, small villages along the Lustrafjord (north-east of Bergen). So we are interested in maybe renting a car in Bergen and drive up there for a day. Is driving along those narrow fjord roads OK or is there a better way to go up there?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

kaisatsu

1) re Hellysylt drop off for shorexes

- there's good (= dramatic) fjord scenery before you reach Hellysylt

- just before you get to Hellysylt you'll see high rock walls on your right side with a highway running along quite a way up and farms looking like their perched on the edge of the rocky wall

- on your left side you'll pass the entrance to Geirangerfjord

- Hellysylt itself is a pretty little town with a beautiful waterfall in a small fjord (or really a bay of the main fjord)

- you'll hover there for an hour or so to disembark the all-day shorexes, then sail on to Geiranger - don't go by the time on either the itinerary or even the ship's program - it's been my experience that, as soon as the shorexes have disembarked, you'll move on to Geiranger - obviously, if you're on a large ship, the shorex disembarkation will take longer

- once the ship starts to move away from Hellysylt, the absolute best fjord scenery starts - within minutes you'll be in Geirangerfjord (making a right turn as you exit Hellysylt bay)

- the sail from Hellysylt to Geiranger takes about 1-1.5hrs - it's not very far but the ships usually cruise quite slowly due to all the photo ops - waterfalls everywhere - especially early in the season

2) yes, if you take an all-day shorex from Hellysylt and miss the sail from Hellysylt to Geiranger, you will still get an opportunity to see the same scenery as you sail out of Geiranger in the evening.

Due to the long summer days at that latitude, you'll still be able to see well. The only difference may be that the ships tend to sail faster on the way out (depending on distance to next port) and sometimes the Norwegian port lecturer (if your ship has one) doesn't do as much or as detailed commentary on the exit.

3) Mt Dalsnibba - yes, we've been up twice when it was completely clear - the view is incredible

4) We (or at least I) always walk up to either Flydalsjuvet and/or Vesteras Fjord farm - both take me about an hour from the tender pier, but I take a couple of short cuts as indicated on the map - I don't just walk up the main, paved road - although there's nothing wrong with doing that - just takes a bi t longer and, in peak summer season, the traffic is fairly constant

5) The map link you posted from the Geiranger website is the best I've got - it's the one the Geiranger Tourist Office distributes. The only better ones I'm aware of are from the Norwegian Trekking Association - I just haven't bought one

http://www.turistforeningen.no/english/

- if you're stopping in Oslo or Bergen earlier in the cruise, you could go into their office - they're very helpful

If you find anything better online, I'd be grateful if you'd post it.

6) re Flofjellsveien - sorry, I'm not familiar with it and googling didn't turn anything up - are you sure of the spelling?

Go kayaking in the fjord. That beats anything on a bus, even if you remain at sea level.

It's definitely worth getting up early for the entire sail in. I was actually up before 5 am because of the sun, and sat down towards the bow with a map of the area, and stayed there for the entire trip in from the coast to Geiranger itself.

Thank you for validating my selection. My number one rule in booking tours is to try and avoid buses. Booked the kayaking about a month ago for my June/July NCL Jade cruise.

6) re Flofjellsveien - sorry, I'm not familiar with it and googling didn't turn anything up - are you sure of the spelling?

Oops! You're right! It's Flofjellsvegen. I always mix up when they spell it "veg" vs. "vei." Perhaps it's a dialect issue. Anyhow, Flofjellsvegen is a historic overland walking route from Hellesylt to Flo. Considering we've done (and will do) our fair share of hiking in Norway, I'm inclined to think that we're better off just enjoying the sail-in.

Is that Geiranger map easy to follow once you're there? I'm just having trouble matching the routes to a normal overhead contour map. Are there any of the walks you particularly recommend? Since we live in Oslo, I may go look at more detailed options beforehand anyway.

Thanks for the real-world input! :)

The map is fairly easy to follow as far as most of the trails are concerned.

ie - when you know there should be a trail off the road "somewhere along here", you can usually find it and it is usually signed. I'll qualify this by saying we weren't in Geiranger last summer, so this is based on my experience in 2006.

The shortcuts are a little more tricky:

a) when you're walking uphill from the harbour, the first shortcut is a small one, a fairly steep path up behind the church - easy to spot - you'll see it on the left as you get close to the church - it just cuts of a small bend in the road and doesn't show on the map

b) the second shortcut, which shows as II on the map, cuts off a longer loop of the highway - you find it by entering the campground, turn right, and look for stones marking the direction to the trail which begins behind a small cottage (IIRC)

In 2006 we walked up the trail that shows as 13 on the map to Vesteras and then took #10. Both were very clearly marked.

On the way back we walked down the road from Vesteras to the highway and then along the highway to the Flydal viewpoint before coming back down the road to the harbour.

A few years ago, I tried to find the #5 trail from the bottom end, hoping to get up to the waterfall. The beginning was well marked, but somehow I lost it before I made it to the waterfall.

As far as recommendations go, since you live in Norway, you know it's all about views and waterfalls - and in Geiranger you can't go wrong as long as you don't mind walking uphill. Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

I believe there is now a shuttle bus from Geiranger to Mount Dalsnibba which leaves twice a day which is considerably cheaper than the shore excursion. Unfortunately we are not due to arrive in port until 12pm. and the shuttle bus leaves for the last time at 12:15. Does anyone know how far the bus stop is from the port? Also I read that the arrival times at the port may vary significantly from the expected time of arrival as it may take less time to disembark those passengers who are travelling to Geiranger by road. What I am trying to ask is whether it is worth risking that we will be able to take the shuttle bus rather than pay for the very expensive shore excursion.

We were in Geiranger last summer on the Prinsendam. We got off the ship at Hellesylt and took the small local ferry to Geiranger. Yes, you've already paid for sailing through the fjord on the larger ship...but we wouldn't have traded that experience for anything! A small local boat, with folkmusic playing and plenty of explanations in English, too, was magical! We had reserved a rental car in Geiranger (a plus to the ferry is you get there before the ship does...and you can take pictures of your ship behind you!) and did everything. We went to the fjord museum, up to Dalsnibba (much different than I expected), and basically did everything the ships' tours did but in the order we wanted to do it. Rental cars are, indeed, expensive in Norway...but we loved our day. Saw it all and had plenty of time for shopping in town as well.

Thank you for your advice to take the ferry from Hellysylt to Geiranger. It also solves a problem for us as there is a local shuttle bus leaving from Geiranger for Mount Dalsnibba at 12:15 which we wanted to take but were not sure if there was enough time to catch it as we do not dock until 12pm.

• 2 weeks later...

luvnorway,

Thanks for all your info about hiking in Geiranger! We had a strenuous but fantastic day. We hiked up to Westerås and then on to (and behind) Storseterfossen. It was the first week of June and still quite wet, so the route was fairly muddy. When we got back to the farm, we decided to try to make it over to Løsta as well. This trail was even muddier, and we were running short on time, so we ended up soaked and filthy after we stopped trying to avoid the mucky spots. We really had to rush to squeeze both hikes into a 12:30-5:00 half day, but we managed somehow!

To anyone reading this later, I would recommend sticking to just one of those two hikes in that timeframe! If you're visiting in spring or early summer, water-resistant shoes are a good idea. Also, I did see a more thorough Geiranger hiking map while we were there, and I found a link to it online. It includes the route up to Westerås and has a clearer picture of the town's layout. However, it doesn't include the useful time estimates like the earlier one does.

Wow! You had some fantastic weather! Those are beautiful! :)

The weather wasn't as cooperative for us, but for anyone considering this, here are the views from our hikes to give you an idea (since I had trouble finding some online):

View from Westerås Farm:

westerasview.jpg

Hike to Storseterfossen:

storseterfossen.jpg

Løsta:

lostaview.jpg

Archived