It Was Ecstasy.....4/28/08 Sailing

Great Review! I sailed the Conquest in December and we are set to sail the Ecstacy in November. I'm trying to get a better idea of what to do in Progresso. Do you know if that double decker bus lets people on and off at different locations? I would love to see the town, but we want to do some shopping. I'm not sure where to shop.

Same in Cozumel. I was really disappointed in the "mall shopping" at the pier. I want to find the real treats and bargaining in Mexico. Where exactly do we go or ask to go? We're also planning a little beach time. Sounds like you have plenty of knowledge of Cozumel.

Thanks!

And thanks for reading! In Progreso, the double decker ride is only twenty minutes so I did not see any one getting off or on during that little ride...once you are taken back to where you started, you will have a great feel for the main street and where to shop. There is a market set up where you get off the ship shuttles, and shops/street vendors all the way down the street towards the beach. If you go in the other direction towards town center, there is a little department store too, looks like a local shopping resource right now.

In Coz, we go two blocks in any direction from the market square, and away from Front St. The further down Front St to the left as you come down the pier, the less "commercial" the goods offered if you know what I mean? Not that I did not love the port shopping, great shops, just higher than off the main drag because their overhead to be at that port is higher I am sure.

We are not beach people, and I will defer to other CC experts on that one. The beaches on the other side of the island are gorgeous, we went by a taxi and just had him stop where we wanted to on another trip. Also check the Cozumel port thread here on CC..

HTH:D

Thanks for all the information on the towns and places to shop. I cut and paste the info to place in my folder for when we get there. I like your idea about taking the bus to get a feel for the town. :)

Funny, we live on the South Texas Gulf Coast and my husband goes to the beach every weekend, but he stills loves a vacation with more beach! I know Progresso is on the Gulf side and will not have the beautiful water, but he really wants to see their beaches. I think he has a thing to visit every beach on our side of the globe. :rolleyes:

thank again!

Thanks for all the information on the towns and places to shop. I cut and paste the info to place in my folder for when we get there. I like your idea about taking the bus to get a feel for the town. :)

Funny, we live on the South Texas Gulf Coast and my husband goes to the beach every weekend, but he stills loves a vacation with more beach! I know Progresso is on the Gulf side and will not have the beautiful water, but he really wants to see their beaches. I think he has a thing to visit every beach on our side of the globe. :rolleyes:

thank again!

Paradise Beach is very popular in Cozumel and there's a little gem of a beach called 'The Money Bar' also. It previously was known as Dzul Ha. I like Dzul Ha better than the new name.

You might want to visit our Cozumel forum in the Ports of Call section for some research!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=210

OH Linda, you will love a celebration on this ship!!! 50th anniversary wow, God Bless your grandparents!!

I suggest you leave a note at the Pursers desk for the CD as soon as you get on board, and ask to have them recognized during the week, or at the Welcome Aboard or the Married game show!!! That is a huge milestone!!:D

What a great idea! "I'm ashamed that I didn't think of that myself"....as Scarlett would say :p

I wonder if there is a way to contact someone before we board. I didn't do any of the organizing so I better check with the one that did :)

Thanks again for the great review!

Thanks for posting such a fantastic review...my wife and I are taking the same cruise in December, and since it will be our first time on the Ecstacy AND first time going to progresso, I'm always eager to read reviews like yours..I am so looking foreward to seeing progresso and all that goes with it...it sounds like such an interesting place...we had to skip it last year on our last cruise ( RCCL ) and after reading reviews such as yours it really makes me want to go now!!..its hard to believe there are people who dont like the place and just stay on the ship...seems like they are missing out on some good times... I also enjoyed the nice pictures you posted and hope to be able to do the same after our Dec cruise :)

What a great idea! "I'm ashamed that I didn't think of that myself"....as Scarlett would say :p

I wonder if there is a way to contact someone before we board. I didn't do any of the organizing so I better check with the one that did :)

Thanks again for the great review!

Linda... drop me an email, please...

:)

Now I'm really getting excited about our July cruise! I haven't sailed on a Fantasy class ship since my first cruise on the Imagination in 1997 and I was a little apprehensive about booking it. But with 40 plus family members celebrating a grandparents 50th - who could stay home ;)

Thanks for the great review :D

My family cruised for my grandparents 50th anniversary. we had tshirts made up that said "See these folks" then their wedding picture from 1944 then "wish them a happy 50th"

Thank you so much for the review. My husband and I are going on our first cruise in June (our 10th anniversary is in December, but Gramma and Grampa are taking the kids for a week in June, so we're celebrating early). This just got me even more excited and I LOVED your pictures.

Cheryl

Thank you so much for the review. My husband and I are going on our first cruise in June (our 10th anniversary is in December, but Gramma and Grampa are taking the kids for a week in June, so we're celebrating early). This just got me even more excited and I LOVED your pictures.

Cheryl

Let me pop in here for a second and welcome you to CruiseCritic!!

You happened to show up at the perfect time. Floatie just completed this most excellent review and you still have time to ask a TON of questions and get 'em all answered before you sail in June!

If you can't find an answer here you can't find it anywhere!!!

Have a great time!!!

Mach

Cheryl

Cheryl, welcome to CC, and what Mach said is so true!!! Thanks for reading and posting,this is my first review! I only came here to CC in January and I have learned so much (including my new camera, THANKS MACH!!)!!! Ask away!! What cruise are you taking??

I sailed on the Ectasy last October with 6 other ladies as a retirement gift to myself and it was really fun. Great review. Only complaint was that the steaks were really bad. But everything else was fine. The sweet girl bartender in the atrium bar even remembered me and my friend's name after one time of her serving us. We were pleased with the entertainment and was a great value for the $359 we paid for 5 nites. It was my 5th cruise and I would not hesitate to go back, but am already booked on the Conquest (3rd time) for the new itenerary next May 17. Cant wait!!!!!!!!

Floatie... EXCELLENT!!!

I remembered my cruise and reivew as I read yours!!! You had some great experiences!! I'm happy you and Mom did!!!

We ate at the table right under the society bar's painted ceiling... I loved the Lobby bar, too!! EVERYTHING about the ECSTASY was wonderful!!!

I'm happy I'll be back on her in December... I'll reread this right before I leave... I know I'll find new things!!!

Didn't you love the spa??? That relaxation room is OUTSTANDING!!!

FLoatie... THANK YOU!!!

Floatie... EXCELLENT!!!

I remembered my cruise and reivew as I read yours!!! You had some great experiences!! I'm happy you and Mom did!!!

We ate at the table right under the society bar's painted ceiling... I loved the Lobby bar, too!! EVERYTHING about the ECSTASY was wonderful!!!

I'm happy I'll be back on her in December... I'll reread this right before I leave... I know I'll find new things!!!

Didn't you love the spa??? That relaxation room is OUTSTANDING!!!

FLoatie... THANK YOU!!!

Thanks Lambie!! No Spa this trip...Mom had too much shopping on her mind....:rolleyes:

Floatie!!! What a wonderful review! I saved your link to your pictures in my fav places so I can look at them at leisure!! Wow, you have set the bar HIGH with this review, and since Zackie and I didn't do much, it may be a short review!:D But MY cruise was all about me spending time with my wonderful grandson, which we certainly did!!!

You have a wonderful gift of words, Floatie, you really do! Your descriptions just seem to jump out at the reader and pull us in like we were on the cruise with you!! I really enjoyed meeting you on the Patio, and I wanted to thank you again for your gift of the stuffed Funship Freddy to Zachary; he loves it! I was a little worried that the 'scots would get bored being with us, but after reading your review and all that they DID, I think they rather enjoyed the peace and quiet of being in the cabin for our cruise!;)

Definitely looking forward to hanging out with you for a week on our Crazies Cruise!!!:D

OMG I so appreciate your review. I have NEVER sailed Carnival; I have NEVER been to Progresso, but do love Coz., and am considering the exact trip in the very near future. Kids were trying to sway me BACK to the exact same Caribbean ports we visited last time (Jamaica, GC, Coz), but the cost is SO much more, I was thinking of doing this 5 day. I think I will. Sounds like a great time. Thanks again!

OMG I so appreciate your review. I have NEVER sailed Carnival; I have NEVER been to Progresso, but do love Coz., and am considering the exact trip in the very near future. Kids were trying to sway me BACK to the exact same Caribbean ports we visited last time (Jamaica, GC, Coz), but the cost is SO much more, I was thinking of doing this 5 day. I think I will. Sounds like a great time. Thanks again!

It IS a great time, you will love it, and come back and tell us all about it please!!!:D

Ms. fa2525, tks for sharing your awesome pictures,especially the mascots. are those the same ones that host mach has or are those yours. also,can you tell me where i can purchase some(mascots). tks!////chad

You are so welcome, thanks for reading and looking :D

Yup those are the now-very-famous Mascots that were with Mach. We pass them from Crazie to Crazie for their travels....

MachBird is from Margaritaville MoBay....Captn Crazy was bought at Wmart I believe....

I am on the hunt for a Machbird brother too...I miss those little guys!!!

Floatie - what a GREAT review! I don't currently have a cruise booked and woke up with a mission to take a virtual cruise via review today. You review was so descriptive I really felt I was there - THANKS!

Marcia

Floatie - what a GREAT review! I don't currently have a cruise booked and woke up with a mission to take a virtual cruise via review today. You review was so descriptive I really felt I was there - THANKS!

Marcia

That's exactly what I do too...keeps us sane between cruises...thanks for reading!

Great review Eva. Sounds like you guys had a blast.

I can hardly wait until October. Five months from today we will be in Miami getting ready to board the LOS. :D

Thanks Lynn with an e :D ...I can't wait until our cruising paths cross...one of these trips for sure!!

Archived