Legal papers needed for 1 parent travel??

I think I read somewhere that if both parents are not going you have to get some legal papers stating that they know you are taking the children out of the country. I am not divorced or in a custody fight my husband travels for work and will be in Italy (possibly) for our cruise in Nov. He plans on being gone for 5-6 months and if nothing goes wrong at work he will make the cruise with us BUT if he doesnt make it then I may take my mother and pay the 50.00 to change names.

I have to get this all taken care of now because once he is gone I am out of luck if I do need some type of papers. If this matters my 2 boys that are under age will be 16 and 14 at the time of the cruise

Karen

Carnival highly suggests that you bring a notarized letter, signed by both parents, stating that you have permission to travel with your children outside the United States. Some people take this some do not. I have never taken one and never had any problems (And my son's last name is different than mine). Others say they have had to show the letter.

I think I read somewhere that if both parents are not going you have to get some legal papers stating that they know you are taking the children out of the country. I am not divorced or in a custody fight my husband travels for work and will be in Italy (possibly) for our cruise in Nov. He plans on being gone for 5-6 months and if nothing goes wrong at work he will make the cruise with us BUT if he doesnt make it then I may take my mother and pay the 50.00 to change names.

I have to get this all taken care of now because once he is gone I am out of luck if I do need some type of papers. If this matters my 2 boys that are under age will be 16 and 14 at the time of the cruise

Karen

It is really nothing more than a letter that is notarized saying that he knows you are going, that it is OK and he has no objection to taking the kids. (Of course not to be sexist, replace he with she as necessary.) It is a State Department requirement and I believe that a sample form is available on the passport web site somewhere, or you TA should have something available.

We cruised last month and at the last minute, due to an injury, my husband couldn't go with us. I did bring the signed and notarized form just to be on the safe side but I never needed it...I would say, bring it...better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!!:)

I was told to bring my DH's death certificate to show why he couldn't sign a letter on custody... DIDN'T need it, but I took it!

Now she'll be 20 on our next cruise... with her own credit card and papers and responsibility... Mom just pays for the cruise... and we have FUN together... Good for you to get him started as a CRUISER!!!!

don't take any chancese bring a letter stating you have permission to take them on the cruise, out of the country , with a specific time period.. also add medical attention if necessary.. i know it's ridiculous what single parents have to go through because of some idiots... please realize the letter is only good for 30 days!!! but i wouldn't chance not taking it, i was almost denied permission to enter Canada a few years ago because I did not have that letter,, there have been people left at the port because of this... even if you don't use it, take precautions....http://www.curisediva.com has a sample form letter you can print... good lluck.

Ps..GO YANKEES!!!

LOL

Carnival highly suggests that you bring a notarized letter, signed by both parents, stating that you have permission to travel with your children outside the United States. Some people take this some do not. I have never taken one and never had any problems (And my son's last name is different than mine). Others say they have had to show the letter.

I cruised with my five-year-old daughter last summer without my husband, and the notarized letter describe above is what I took with me. They never asked to see it, but I was glad that I had it with me just in case. My daughter was adopted from China which adds yet another interesting twist to our travel. I always bring a copy of our adoption decree with me just in case we're ever questioned about whether she is "ours." Better safe than sorry.

I cruised with my five-year-old daughter last summer without my husband, and the notarized letter describe above is what I took with me. They never asked to see it, but I was glad that I had it with me just in case. My daughter was adopted from China which adds yet another interesting twist to our travel. I always bring a copy of our adoption decree with me just in case we're ever questioned about whether she is "ours." Better safe than sorry.

I do agree that it is better safe than sorry. In my hurry to type I neglected to say that I have full and complete custody of my son and I do bring my divorce papers for "just in case". That is much easier than dealing with my ex. Luckily, I have never needed them.

On our first cruise we left the kids home with Gramma and Grampa. We had power of attorney papers done up for each of our kids, just in case something happened to us while we were gone, or in case they needed to medically treat our kids. I suspect it would be a good thing to have with you just in case something should happen while you are on the cruise. It really was an easy process. We had a legal software program that we just plugged in the names, then we printed it, and took it to our bank where there was an authorized notary. Permission to do any of your husbands business in his absence is a good thing to have...just in case. I realize it is not a pleasant thought that something could happen, but wouldn't you have peace of mind knowing you'd be covered no matter what?

Whatever the case...ENJOY!!

I just got back thursday from a cruise (Ecstasy out of Galveston) with my 3 year old grandson. I took his birth certificate and a letter from my daughter, stating she knows I'm taking him on the cruise and can make decisions on her behalf, etc. Carnival's website says you just need a letter stating such. We had NO problem getting onboard the ship, BUT, when we went through customs after the cruise was over, the custom's agent told me that some agents would not have allowed just a written letter!:eek: I told him I had checked the website and it said it didn't have to be notarized, and he basically said "WRONG"!! Then he leaned over the counter and asked my grandson who I was. Well, Zachary picked THAT time to act shy and start acting silly, and i had to get down in his face and say, "Zackie, what do you call me" and he finally said, "Gigi"!:eek: I then told the agen that that is what he calls me!

So, to answer your question, do NOT take a chance on just taking a written letter, have whatever form you take notarized, etc. When I decided to take my grandson on this cruise, i honestly was only thinking about making sure he got on the ship, and I was NOT thinking about making sure he gets to get BACK in the country!! Good luck!!

I would tell eveyone traveling with children below age 18 to have a notarized form of approval or other documents when a child is NOT traveling with both parents. It is customs. Also airline will request the form for any overseas flights. This is to protect a child and or non traveling parent from a child being taken out of the country. If something happened and you had to fly home from a foreign port, authorities may prevent you from taking the child out of the country. Avoid the possible problems and get the approval form or take documents you may need.

MSEm

don't take any chancese bring a letter stating you have permission to take them on the cruise, out of the country , with a specific time period.. also add medical attention if necessary.. i know it's ridiculous what single parents have to go through because of some idiots... please realize the letter is only good for 30 days!!! but i wouldn't chance not taking it, i was almost denied permission to enter Canada a few years ago because I did not have that letter,, there have been people left at the port because of this... even if you don't use it, take precautions....www.curisediva.com has a sample form letter you can print... good lluck.

Ps..GO YANKEES!!!

LOL

I went to the site and printed off the form now we will get it notarized this week just incase. I like the form because it has the dates to fill in and ship name so we should be covered.

Ps..YANKEES SUCK HAHA Go RED SOX

lisa702Hmmmmmmmmm........when I booked our upcoming Inspiration cruise in August, I asked the PVP about this and I was told I didn't need anything. I guess I better double check.:confused:

I also asked them about it and I talked to 2 different PVP and both gave me a different answer. 1 said I didnt need anything the other said I should get it BUT it is NOT required by Carnival and by not having it wouldnt affect me leaving on the cruise. but like others are saying it may prevent me from coming home

don't take any chancese bring a letter stating you have permission to take them on the cruise, out of the country , with a specific time period.. also add medical attention if necessary.. i know it's ridiculous what single parents have to go through because of some idiots... please realize the letter is only good for 30 days!!! but i wouldn't chance not taking it, i was almost denied permission to enter Canada a few years ago because I did not have that letter,, there have been people left at the port because of this... even if you don't use it, take precautions....www.curisediva.com has a sample form letter you can print... good lluck.

Ps..GO YANKEES!!!

LOL

If the letter specifies a time it is good for that time. Not sure where you got the 30 day idea but that is not true.

I would definitely bring the notarized letter. We ran into this requirement when DH took our oldest son with him on an overseas business trip; the TA never mentioned needing a letter. DH was asked for it when they changed planes in Toronto, and since they had no letter the agents took son aside alone to ask him where I was, why I wasn't traveling with them, etc. They were allowed to go finally, given my son's answers and the round-trip plane tickets they showed, but life would have been a lot easier with the letter.

In March I watched as a 17 year old was denied boarding on the Celebrity Summit by immigration. She was sailing with her mom, step-father, and his family. They had cruise several times before on different cruise lines, but this time they were asked for a signed formed from her father.

Lucky for them the mother and father were on good terms, the ship allowed them to use their fax machine, and the immigration people agreed to take a faxed form.

It was not a pretty sight to see this family so upset and listen as they were told they couldn't board the ship.

Archived