Rental car at Civitivecchia

AlbertusMagnus

How far are the rental offices from the Celebrity dock.

Thanks,

Alberto

We noticed a car rental company set up right outside the port entrance. I think it was Hertz. This was on May 1.

Thanks,

Alberto

I hope you've got really GOOD insurance if you plan to drive in Rome...it's CRAZY there. (From personal experience of riding in cars with Roman drivers in, and trying to cross the street anywhere!! My son was in Italy visiting and the person rented him a car so he could drive to Rome to sightsee as they didn't have the time, he said NEVER AGAIN, was terrified!):D

Thanks,

Alberto

Hertz is the closest but you will want to take the port shuttle (takes you from the ship to the port gates) then head for the train station (maybe 6 blocks or so) and the Hertz office is very close to the train station. Pull up an online map for this address:

Via della Repubblica, 10 A pixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifCivitavecchia, Italy

and it will show you the location in relation to the port and the train station.

I hope you've got really GOOD insurance if you plan to drive in Rome...it's CRAZY there. (From personal experience of riding in cars with Roman drivers in' date=' and trying to cross the street anywhere!! My son was in Italy visiting and the person rented him a car so he could drive to Rome to sightsee as they didn't have the time, he said NEVER AGAIN, was terrified!):D[/quote']

I love to drive in Rome, have done it several times. I do know where I am going, and thats a big help. Really don't have a problem.

Ciao,

Alberto

I've driven all over Italy, including into downtown Rome. It's no crazier than driving in LA...which I do on a regular basis. (A few more scooters perhaps!)

In Civitavecchia, not all car rental offices are in the same area.

We took a cab to the Europcar office, which was on Via Tarquinia, several blocks from the port and further than we wanted to drive, with all our luggage.

I track my car throughout the summer, and even I thought driving in Italy was nerve-wracking. I don't know about the cities, but driving along the coast can be pretty hairy at times -- all hairpin corners and very tight roads, never mind the streets in villages. The Ford Mondeo I got from Avis seemed absolutely enormous. I would have loved to have been in my car, though.

Here's a shot of two Italian tour busses mating on a not-so-tight road; I took this a couple of weeks ago whilst driving the Amalfi coast, and we were stuck behind these guys for maybe 20 minutes or so. Click for big.

almafi1uy4.th.jpg

Archived