"plush" size, need formal wear imput

babchia

• 3 weeks later...

Ladies-

Another plush lady here, from Florida. We have a store down here called Bealls, (pronounced bells) and it's all Florida-style merchandise - perfect for you folks that are coming down to the tropics. http://www.beallsflorida.com

Their plus size section has some really nice stuff - but more in basics than super formal.

The stores have a far better selection than the website if you happen to be coming down early. There is also Bealls Outlet, but nothing is available on their website. Also, there is 'Monday' and 'Friday' club at the outlet - 15% off anything in the store. Friday is 50 & under, and Monday is over 50.

I bought some heinously colored/patterned crinkly tops/skirts/pants for our last trip & hubby loved them.

When I'm looking for something a bit dressier - I go to Ross. Their plus size section is usually pretty good. http://www.rossstores.com

I just get a regular tank style swimsuit & don't worry about it. I'm a diver, so spend most of my cruise in lycra head-to-foot... and that's a lot of lycra! (I'm 5'6", 250lbs)

I have to admit, though... I'm just about through with anything that requires a real bra or shoes past sandals.

Have a great trip!

Wendy

I am one of the larger ladies here, and wear about a 26. I am ging on a 9 night cruise on RCCL to Bermuda and other islands. I know I will need a formal style outfit. Nut have some dilemmas.

I do not really like to expose my upper arms that much. Many of the formal styles do. I know I can wear a shawl/wrap/ whatever. Heck, I've even made a few, sewn and knit. But, I am trying to find a dress. I know it's clearance time for prom wear, so I will be shopping.

I also wear orthotics (sic) in my shoes. Wearing heels is really uncomfortable, even after just a few minutes. What about a dressy pants outfit?

I have some of the "slinky" kind of fabric separates, and will bring them. They pack/travel well and can be hand washed, hang to dry. I have to go through my clothes yet, so am just starting. I have to move fast though, as the cruise leaves Bayonne on 6/19!

Then of course, there's the swimsuit issue. I have to shop for one, but hate it.

Oh, well, shopping for a cruise is much more fun than shopping for work! LOL

Any other "plush" ladies out there, maybe even going on the same cruise?

Oooo, I hope I'm not too late. When are you going on your cruise? I have a coral color dress that I purchased from David's Bridal and it is a size 26. I had it altered but nothing was cut out. It's a cute long flowing dress with sleeves. I hate wearing my arms out too. Email me at howxcellent at yahoo dot com and I will email you photos of what the dress looks like. If you like it, I'll send it to you at no cost.

Erica

I'm subscribing to this so I can get all those sites! But consider this - try finding a cute dress, that isn't old lady looking in a plus size for someone with a double Mastectomy!! ARGH!

I pretty much have to have something with wide enough straps to cover a mastectomy bra and it can't be too low. Plus I have a scar from my port pretty high up that I'd rather cover up. I have found some nice things lately at Ross - I got a really pretty cocktail dress for $16 dollars! I think some stores are finally figuring out that "plush" women like to wear stylish clothes that don't cost a fortune just like everyone else!

Oooo, I hope I'm not too late. When are you going on your cruise? I have a coral color dress that I purchased from David's Bridal and it is a size 26. I had it altered but nothing was cut out. It's a cute long flowing dress with sleeves. I hate wearing my arms out too. Email me at howxcellent at yahoo dot com and I will email you photos of what the dress looks like. If you like it, I'll send it to you at no cost.

Erica

What a kind offer!

I think some stores are finally figuring out that "plush" women like to wear stylish clothes that don't cost a fortune just like everyone else!

I just wish there were more of them!! I hate having to buy clothes online, I like to see the material, fit, etc.. but instead I have to pay for shipping..and if it doesn't fit, I have to pay to send it back! We don't have Ross here, so I'm limited to Lane Bryant (don't care for Fashion Bug).. and their clothes don't always fit right.

I just wish there were more of them!! I hate having to buy clothes online, I like to see the material, fit, etc.. but instead I have to pay for shipping..and if it doesn't fit, I have to pay to send it back! We don't have Ross here, so I'm limited to Lane Bryant (don't care for Fashion Bug).. and their clothes don't always fit right.

Jen,

Try going to Torrid dot com. They're geared toward younger women and have a lot of fashionable options. There is one in my mall and I checked to see if KC had one, but unfortunately they don't.

Erin

Thanks for all the great links ladies! I got this dress in black:

http://www.womanwithin.com/clothing/Candlelight-and-Champagne-Jewel-back-dress.aspx?PfId=131720&DeptId=9285&ProductTypeId=1&PurchaseType=0

I hope it's as cute on when I get it.

I also bought a couple of swim suits from there:

black: http://www.womanwithin.com/clothing/Perfect-1-piece-swimsuit.aspx?PfId=18175&DeptId=9292&ProductTypeId=1&PurchaseType=0

and

rose: http://www.womanwithin.com/clothing/Resorts-Plusandreg-Thigh-trimming-sarong-style-Swimsuit.aspx?PfId=33869&DeptId=9292&ProductTypeId=1&PurchaseType=0

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Oh yeah, and to save a bit of money, I went to this site to get discount codes:

http://definitivedeals.com/coupons_and_deals/Woman_Within

Have a great cruise guys!

• 11 months later...
For plus-size designer clothing at discounted prices, check out www.14to24w.com I have picked up some wonderful things here, including a gorgeous Dana Buchman evening skirt and a Spencer Alexis kimono jacket that is stunning over silky black pants and top (and packs really light, since it is made of silk).

Thank you so much for this site! I have a pair of black velvet pants and shell - ordered a beautiful Spencer Alexis jacket in reds and gold to wear with it for our Alaska cruise in August. I have some 3" heels in sparkly gold faux snakeskin that should wrap up the outfit (with some dazzling gold jewelry).

I also found a beautiful long gown for under $100 on the www.nexteve.com site - thanks to whoever recommended that site as well!:)

• 2 weeks later...
Just ordered these two, they are plus. Found a great ebay store for plus sized stuff. For those of us who want a younger style and they ship to Canada! I was very excited.

How plush are you, Limmer? I have a brand-new (with tags) dress that's very similar...not silk like that one...just from Sears. It's not the right style for my bust and I'm willing to give it away for the postage. (It was really on sale)

Depends on the store but usually a 2x. Where are you in Ontario?

I'm in Welland. Where are you?

The dress is strapless and empire, a muted fuschia chiffon with a really flattering bubble bottom. It says it's a 14, but it goes over a 46 chest...just not designed for a really big breast. I was going to try to rebuild it because the bottom was so pretty, but I decided I would just wreck what someone else could wear as is! (And I found a fuschia chiffon dress last weekend that worked better for me)

Le Chateau, by the way, has lots of "pashminas" in a huge variety of colours for $15 regular price.

Well, just measure your bust and let me know if it's bigger than 46".

Let me know how your new purchases go. I'd love to know if they fit true and if you get them without a hassle. It will be too late for this sale, but maybe the next one! Those were amazing prices

Okay...we'll stop hijacking this thread now!

Thank you so much for this site! I have a pair of black velvet pants and shell - ordered a beautiful Spencer Alexis jacket in reds and gold to wear with it for our Alaska cruise in August. I have some 3" heels in sparkly gold faux snakeskin that should wrap up the outfit (with some dazzling gold jewelry).

I also found a beautiful long gown for under $100 on the www.nexteve.com site - thanks to whoever recommended that site as well!:)

I have to retract my statement about the "beautiful long gown from nexteve". I received it, but the quality was very poor so I had to return it. They also charge a $25 restocking fee when you return. Bummer!

I did find some very cute black "carwash" pants at Dress Barn (of all places!) for under $50 that will go nicely with a sequin top.

Milanda - my chest measures about 45 inches. I would love to try it if you are still willing. How would we go about that? COD? Is there such a thing anymore? LOL. Do you have a paypal account?

Archived