"plush" size, need formal wear imput

babchia

I am one of the larger ladies here, and wear about a 26. I am ging on a 9 night cruise on RCCL to Bermuda and other islands. I know I will need a formal style outfit. Nut have some dilemmas.

I do not really like to expose my upper arms that much. Many of the formal styles do. I know I can wear a shawl/wrap/ whatever. Heck, I've even made a few, sewn and knit. But, I am trying to find a dress. I know it's clearance time for prom wear, so I will be shopping.

I also wear orthotics (sic) in my shoes. Wearing heels is really uncomfortable, even after just a few minutes. What about a dressy pants outfit?

I have some of the "slinky" kind of fabric separates, and will bring them. They pack/travel well and can be hand washed, hang to dry. I have to go through my clothes yet, so am just starting. I have to move fast though, as the cruise leaves Bayonne on 6/19!

Then of course, there's the swimsuit issue. I have to shop for one, but hate it.

Oh, well, shopping for a cruise is much more fun than shopping for work! LOL

Any other "plush" ladies out there, maybe even going on the same cruise?

You will NOT be the largest lady on the cruise--guaranteed! There are alot of eveningwear styles with sleeves. You may just have to look a bit longer to find them!!!(It's spring--sleeves aren't prominent in spring/summer lines!)

A dressy pants, sparkley top is perfect--you can wear lower shoes with that and be comfy!

Swimsuits....NO ONE likes shopping for them, no matter what size you are! Just bite the bullet, and realize that in natural sunlight you will look about 99% better than you look in the dressing room! Honest! (Those nasty flouresent lights make you look like death warmed over!)

Good luck! You're going to have a great time!

I think a dressy pants outfit would be lovely. What about getting a pair of ballet flats so you don't have to wear heels? I've read a lot about the Zappos website being fantastic when it comes to ordering shoes... and I just checked the site out and there are a bunch of flats that are dressy in all price ranges. I've read that the shoes arrive in about 2 days and you can return them w/o paying additional for shipping. Good luck :)

How about this dress - no arms showing. http://www.womanwithin.com/clothing/Candlelight-and-Champagneandreg-Rhinestone-circle-trimmed-dress.aspx?PfId=118652&DeptId=9304&ProductTypeId=1&PurchaseType=0or this one

http://www.womanwithin.com/clothing/Candlelight-and-Champagne-Lace-trapeze-dress.aspx?PfId=117981&DeptId=9304&ProductTypeId=1&PurchaseType=0

and while we're here - these suits are very flattering http://www.womanwithin.com/department.aspx?DeptId=9290&12PerPage=1

I've ordered from this catalog before - if you normally wear a size 26, I would order a 24 or maybe even a 22 - they run big.

Find something you will feel pretty in and enjoy yourself!

I am one of the larger ladies here, and wear about a 26. I am ging on a 9 night cruise on RCCL to Bermuda and other islands. I know I will need a formal style outfit. Nut have some dilemmas.

I do not really like to expose my upper arms that much. Many of the formal styles do. I know I can wear a shawl/wrap/ whatever. Heck, I've even made a few, sewn and knit. But, I am trying to find a dress. I know it's clearance time for prom wear, so I will be shopping.

I also wear orthotics (sic) in my shoes. Wearing heels is really uncomfortable, even after just a few minutes. What about a dressy pants outfit?

I have some of the "slinky" kind of fabric separates, and will bring them. They pack/travel well and can be hand washed, hang to dry. I have to go through my clothes yet, so am just starting. I have to move fast though, as the cruise leaves Bayonne on 6/19!

Then of course, there's the swimsuit issue. I have to shop for one, but hate it.

Oh, well, shopping for a cruise is much more fun than shopping for work! LOL

Any other "plush" ladies out there, maybe even going on the same cruise?

Have you tried www.davidsbridal.com they have a number of their dresses that go up to a 26. Now they are mostly sleeveless or strapless. But I bought a strapless one once and because it was too long my seamstress took some of the length she cut and made thin straps. They also sell jackets and matching wraps. It is says "in store only" you can call and order it and they will mail it to you. I believe dresses are returnable as long as in the same condition they sent it to you.

Mother of the bride, brides maid dresses are a great place to look as they usually come in all sizes.

If you don't like to expose your arms, you can do what I've done. I purchased a lovely dress that was sleeveless, then I took it to a seamstress with some sheer chiffon and she made sleeves with a lovely cuff and crystal button closures for me. I feel elegant and know I look better because my arms aren't exposed. Check your area for a seamstress who might be able to do this for you. Oh, the dress cost me $10 and seamstress $40 . . . I think everybody was happy!

Swimsuits are a whole other issue - if you're not happy with a regular swimsuit, look at swimshorts and a tankini type of top. I've looked at some of the "swim skirts" and felt they made people look like "Little Lotta" from cartoons long ago - not that flattering, and too much fabric.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I also find that those cute little tankini swimsuits with the flowy tops tend to ride up when you actually swim in the water :eek: Something you do not want if that is the area you are trying to hide in the first place. Be sure the top is a little more fitted and will stay down before purchasing one.

Happy cruising!

I was going to suggest the same as Ger. Dont walk by the gowns with no sleeves as a seamstress can add sleeves quite easy. I have done this myself. Chiffon with a cuff sounds quite nice but another alternative would be to purchase sheer stretchy spandex material as this will help in shaping your arms.

Having sleeves added to a gown is an option, but I prefer the Dressy separates option. Packs much more easily. You can have one long skirt of flowing trousers and two or more tops/jackets, depending on number of formal nights. I wear the dressy slacks/skirt with flats or very low heels, as I too have foot problems.

The separates option is a godsend for me, since I wear different sizes top and botton. It is exremely hard to find a dress that fits the hips and thighs that isn't huge in the neck and shoulders. My sister has the opposite problem and appreciates the separates option as well.

For plus-size designer clothing at discounted prices, check out www.14to24w.com I have picked up some wonderful things here, including a gorgeous Dana Buchman evening skirt and a Spencer Alexis kimono jacket that is stunning over silky black pants and top (and packs really light, since it is made of silk).

I have these little "ballet" style Isotoner slippers. They are black satin. I bought them for weddings! Wear the heels for a (very) short time, then change for the reception. They have a nice sole, cushioning and look nice. One wedding, all the women sent their hubbies out to get them some! LOL

You could also buy any dress you love and bring it with you to a fabric store. Pick out a sheer or satiny fabric that matches and if you can sew or have a friend that can do basic sewing have him/her make you a shawl.

Also I love the term "plush".

HTH

Nobody enjoys swim suit shopping. Well, I imagine Heidi Klum must, but anyway, if you are going to go suit shopping hit yourself with some sunless tanning lotion first on all of the 'chi chi' ladened spots. (chi chi...my word for cellulite). Tan skin hides more, and with the lighting in the fitting rooms we need all the help we can get. And also, perhaps have a trusted friend go with you,with a digital camera and take pictures of you in the suits. It might help to see a picture rather than what your mind might be seeing in the mirror. Get a picture from the front, back and side, that way you can best make your decision on a keeper.

I've used a sunless tanner by banana boat, and its pretty nice and easy to use and it doesn't turn you orange.

I went to Fashion Bug and got it on sale! Only $40. It's a black with sparkles type fabric, halter top (haven't worn one of those in AGES) cocktail length dress. It combines different fabrics, plain and sparkly in swirl effect, so it actually makes me look a little thinner. It has a handkerchief style hem. When I get brave, I will try it on and have dh take a digital picture and upload it.

NOW, I MUST BUY A STRAPLESS BRA AND SEXY SANDALS! LOL

I love and have had great luck with Dana Buchman..and the tops from Spencer Alexis (Dillards) always a sale on them..in the Dillards woman Dept..up to 3x in tops..and tanks and skirts to go with...I prefer the long carwash georgette pants.. I can wear Miss Dept reg L, and some 1x, or a 2x..depends on the angel wings fitting in the sleeves!..also my little seamstress has taken a $9 aline chiffon skirt, and cut/fitted/sewn it into a nosleeve but wide strap layered top w/zigzag mxd animal print panels..also I find a dress with a wide hem..sz 12/14 and she cuts it to make a cami for an existing top..usually at a thrift store for a few bucks..I just try it on upside down..if it fits my bust area and is the right length..voi la a new cami..for under $10..got a nice Ann Taylor sz 10, with black gold lace scallop fringe bottom.. $3..$5 to turn it to the same as the back on a SA top I already have, plus looks great under a tux jacket, and black pts or lg skirt. look in the formal section of secondary market stores..just for great fabric and trims!..Good luck dear

Here's a picture of the swimsuit I just ordered!

http://www.fashionbug.com/pagebuilder/fashion_bug_product_page?nav=Plus&item=1349158&pagesize=3&sub_cat=SWIM&shop=

I know, both are black, but that's what's available right now.

I did buy another dress that's a turquois and black dress. See it here:

http://www.fashionbug.com/pagebuilder/fashion_bug_product_page?nav=Plus&item=1649318&pagesize=3&sub_cat=DRESSES&shop=

Not sure if I'm keeping that one.

Oh, I did get a convertable bra at Fashionbug.com. They were having a great online sael and I had an additional 15% off code! The bra and bathing suit and shipping are under $60.

I ordered this dress last night in black (good price plus I have a 20% off coupon). A few of the reviews say its "casual" but it looks like it might be ok for formal night. What do you guys think?

http://www.womanwithin.com/clothing/Only-Necessities-crochet-and-knit-dress.aspx?PfId=124524&DeptId=9539&ProductTypeId=1&PurchaseType=0#ReviewHeader

I also love love love this one.. but I can never find anything nice to cover up my arms

http://www.womanwithin.com/clothing/Candlelight-and-Champagne-Empire-print-dress.aspx?PfId=131718&DeptId=9285&ProductTypeId=1&PurchaseType=0

Archived