Man overboard?

niki1785

I just heard about this on the car radio. No details on the reason she fell overboard.

Seems strange that a 46 yr. old woman would even consider climbing from one balcony to another.

I suppose it won't be too long before we find out the "WHY" she fell overboard.

Some more Info

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newjersey/ny-bc-nj--cruisepassengerov0512may12,0,7129826.story

Did you ever find out how it happened? :confused: :eek:

The guy that went overboard last month jumped ON PURPOSE!:eek: He was into extreme sports and wanted to try it! There is video of him being taken off the ship on a stretcher...and his angry:mad: wife behind with the luggage!

I feel so sorry for this ladies family. What a way to go.:(

The guy that went overboard last month jumped ON PURPOSE!:eek: He was into extreme sports and wanted to try it! There is video of him being taken off the ship on a stretcher...and his angry:mad: wife behind with the luggage!

sometimes Darwin's theory of natural selection just doesn't happen often enough. sorry...no compassion for someone "willing" to do this stupid stuff.

Adds a New Meaning to Freestyle 2.0 ????

The news is reporting, a 46 year old woman who went overboard from NCL Dawn on Sunday, about 3 hours after leaving NYC about 45 miles northeast of Atlantic City. The Coast Guard had to call off the search due to bad weather.

How truly sad. I feel so bad for her family... what a way to go is right. I get nervous just standing near the railings, I can't imagine someone (even with alcohol in them) would climb from one balcony to another, how awful. If I hear anymore details I will post.

What a shame........you do hear about this more and more. It happened on one of our cruises too. We were on the RCCL's Brilliance and a young waiter from Portugal waived goodbye to his friend and jumped. We heard the OSCAR announcement around 5 am. His friend threw a life vest overboard that had a light on it as soon as he saw him jump and you could definitly see that it was already miles and miles away. We had just left our last port of Curacao and had 2 sea days to get home. We were to far for them to send a coast guard ship so they sent a plane that did nothing but circle for 12 hours. The plane, our ship and life boats circled until 6 pm and then the search was officially called off. It was very sad and the dining room staff was so upset that night. I think this person had it all planned because he waited till we were on our way home. We found out from our cabin attendant that this young man had been very depressed because he had just returned to the ship and his wife had been on this ship and he found out that she was having an affair. So sad for such a young life to be lost.

My heart goes out to the family of this women but with the sea conditions and the wind last night, I doubt that they will every find a body.

I am so sorry to hear about this. A friend of ours, he knew someone who worked on a cruise ship some years ago. He fell overboard and was hours in the water. He said he was just about to give up and just drown himself, when he saw the ship coming back for him.

There was a young man who threw himself overboard on Carnival last year. You may have heard about it. He had been attacked by some boys (sexually with a pipe), had to have numerous surgeries. I guess it was just too much for him.

Being discussed on another thread on this page under the incorrect title of Man overboard.

Cheers

Dennis

MOB or Man OverBoard is the term used. Passenger overboard would be more "correct" however MOB is the recognized term for OFFICIAL PROCEDURE. (rules of the road)

Cheers,

Norman

I join those that are sorry for a life lost/wasted......life is just too precious to flirt with such danger.......I was thinking about whether someone knew about her attempting such a climb from balcony to balcony.......I too think alcohol must have been involved......or something to mar your thinking to such an extent.......I think even someone less than half her age would have thought twice, thrice and then still decided not to pull such a stunt for any reason......no matter what shape you are in........but someone 46 years old........

shaking my head in sad wonderment.......

Facts - woman overboard, CG Notified and responded

- weather was and remains bad

- NCL Dawn enroute to Bermuda was vessel involved

-off coast of AC NJ was location involved

-shortly before nightime was time involved

Rumor - climbing from one balconey to another

Suppositions - alcohol involvement

Opinions - it is a tragedy

Being discussed on another thread on this page under the incorrect title of Man overboard.

Cheers

Dennis

You're kidding right? I think it's ridiculous that anyone would even attempt to get "politically correct" over something like this while there's a family out there heartbroken and devasted by this event.

I am so sorry to hear about this. A friend of ours, he knew someone who worked on a cruise ship some years ago. He fell overboard and was hours in the water. He said he was just about to give up and just drown himself, when he saw the ship coming back for him.

quote]

It's hard to imagine feeling more alone or helpless or desperate than to have been in that guys situation. I can't imagine being out in the open ocean with no one or nothing around you and not even knowing if any knows you fell overboard.

Of course finding this passenger is the most important thing.. but looking at the internary got me thinking about another cruise related question.

The internary has this cruise taking two days to get down there but one day to get back. Does the ship steam that much faster on the way back? Does the gulf stream help/hurt it that much?

My guess it the ship also gets there hours before the 8am time they can get off in bermuda. They comments from NCL seem to imply the ship will get their own time but they appreared to have searched for a while. I am glad they searched or at least stuck around until the coast guard got there. but can they really get their in time to keep on schedule?

One of my colleagues parents are on this cruise. They reported that a girl was trying to climb from one balcony to another and fell overboard. She has not been found.

Why the heck would someone try do to that?! My goodness!

Archived