Man overboard?

niki1785

There is a short article at 1010wins.com

They report it was a 46 year old woman, and she fell over at about 45 miles off the Atlantic City coast. The Coast Guard was still looking for her at the time of the article. Very sad for her and her family.

OMG that is terrible. Climbing from one balcony to another!! You would think that people would know better. I now feel the need to tell my teenage daughter NEVER even to consider doing this. :eek:

You know, I had just assumed this must be some kind of teenage stunt. I can't imagine what would prompt a woman of 46 to try to climb from one balcony to another (and in inclement weather too). Perhaps there was some alcholl involved, but my gut reaction is that nobody is THAT drunk and still standing. Just terrible, of course, whatever it is that happened. Can't imagine her poor family.

Also keep in mind that we have 20' Seas and 45F SST off the Jersey Shore. Very Stormy Day !!!!

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/186/story/156086.html

Web cam of the Jersey shore

http://www.belmarcam.com/

Latest Realtime Data Bouy info for area

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=44025

My father called me before 9pm, I think around 7:30pm to tell me it happened.. The signal from his phone was horrible which is expected as they were already offshore a ways.

It sounds like they waited a while beore the coast guard got involved.

anyone know where the boat is now? of course the big concern is finding the person but I was wondering does the ship get involved in the search? I would imagine once the coast guard is there the cruise ship is just in the way.

i too hope the person will be found safe and sound...seriously.

i am still amazed that people manage to "fall" off the ship. ok alcohol could be involved...we can speculate anything. just amazing.

My father called me before 9pm, I think around 7:30pm to tell me it happened.. The signal from his phone was horrible which is expected as they were already offshore a ways.

It sounds like they waited a while beore the coast guard got involved.

anyone know where the boat is now? of course the big concern is finding the person but I was wondering does the ship get involved in the search? I would imagine once the coast guard is there the cruise ship is just in the way.

They are required to do ahead count before they call the Coast Guard. If you watched the PBS series Carrier, they checked the headcount before they turned the ship around to check if the light in the water was in fact a person overboard. Unless someone actually saw her go over board that is....

my wife calls this "stupicide"

i am still amazed that people manage to "fall" off the ship. ok alcohol could be involved...we can speculate anything. just amazing.

We were JUST having this conversation over dinner yesterday.......my wife feels uncomfortable on the highest decks so close to the rail (i.e. walking/jogging track) and I was telling her how safe it was and that you'd really have to do something stupid to wind up overboard.

It truly IS amazing.

Strange that this must happen more than I ever imagined!

It happened while we were on the SUN last month! My Dad and I were walking around the Promenade Deck and saw something fly by us. Sure enough it was a man overboard and a few seconds later we heard the call!

Luckily for our guy, we were still in port and the crew was able to rescue him!

What a terrifying experience it must be for all involved - victims AND rescue parties!

:(

We were JUST having this conversation over dinner yesterday.......my wife feels uncomfortable on the highest decks so close to the rail (i.e. walking/jogging track) and I was telling her how safe it was and that you'd really have to do something stupid to wind up overboard.

It truly IS amazing.

oh there should be no fear on the top deck with the jogging track. those walls are usually 5ft high (estimated). however, the promenade deck typically has the lower rail...the same height as a balcony rail.

yes you REALLY have to do something stupid.

Strange that this must happen more than I ever imagined!

It happened while we were on the SUN last month! My Dad and I were walking around the Promenade Deck and saw something fly by us. Sure enough it was a man overboard and a few seconds later we heard the call!

Luckily for our guy, we were still in port and the crew was able to rescue him!

What a terrifying experience it must be for all involved - victims AND rescue parties!

:(

Did you ever find out how it happened? :confused: :eek:

OK..I am short- 5'1", but still, it seems almost impossible to me to "fall" overboard. That rail was above my chest.

We were just discussing this while standing on our balcony on the Star last week. It seems to me, that you have to "want" to go over that rail or you would have to be pushed. Or as someone else stated, climbing from one balcony to another..but I cannot imagine a 46 year old woman doing that. :eek:

I too saw the news reports last night. Her poor family having to wait for outcome ,which at this point sounds pretty grim. My heats go out to them. Imaging having to sail away and leave your loved one behind. I would hope the Coast Guard would take her party off the ship if they wanted to return to the states.

Do we know for sure she was climbing the balcony, or is this just a rumor at this point?

From another story in the Press Of Atlantic City

The foul weather also prevented the resumption of a Coast Guard search for a female passenger who fell overboard from a cruise ship off Atlantic City Sunday night. The Norwegian Dawn was headed for Bermuda from New York City when the incident occurred approximately 45 miles northeast of Atlantic City.

The Coast Guard launched two helicopter crews Sunday night, which searched for two hours before returning to base due to the weather. A Coast Guard spokesman said the storm remained too severe to resume the search on Monday.

My Mom who is on that ship called me and told about it last night and I have not heard from her since....she said it was pretty nasty outside as well

Glad your mom is ok. Maybe she will call you when she gets into port. Nothing like traveling through a Nor'ester. I did that once. Hopefully never again!:eek:

I just heard about this on the car radio. No details on the reason she fell overboard.

Seems strange that a 46 yr. old woman would even consider climbing from one balcony to another.

I suppose it won't be too long before we find out the "WHY" she fell overboard.

Archived