Man overboard?

niki1785

My friend just called me from the NCL Dawn cruise to Bermuda and said that the ship is stopped in the ocean because there is a man overboard. Is she joking with me or is this true?! Has anyone heard of this? She said the coast guard is out and all...

It is, unfortunately, not unheard of.

If someone witnessed the person going over, then they probably have a good chance of finding him or her, provided they survived the fall.

If the person was reported missing and assumed to be overboard, it's going to be tougher to find them. But they will try for a period of time.

Too bad for the person who went over, and for all those who will miss time in Bermuda because of it.

If it is true, I hope the person overboard is found and is safe, and I hope the ship can increase speed or something to make up for any lost time for all of her passangers.

It is just an unfortunate situtation all the way around.

It is 10:15pm here in texas and My mom just called me to let me know that my family is safe and that there is a man over board! said that they were told they were going to search for a good while. My mom said that the doctors are on top deck teh hellicopters and life boats are all out. So this is true! My mom said it is very cold! Hope they find the poor person!

It is 10:15pm here in texas and My mom just called me to let me know that my family is safe and that there is a man over board! said that they were told they were going to search for a good while. My mom said that the doctors are on top deck teh hellicopters and life boats are all out. So this is true! My mom said it is very cold! Hope they find the poor person!

Thanks for the update. Very sad...hope he survives.

Really bad timing in location, sea temperature and deteriorating weather conditions! A (thermally) unprotected person at sea in these conditions won't make it long before hypothermia sets in. Seas are high tonight (and building) and the weather stinks for S&R.

As far as schedule, no real worries at all. NY to King's Wharf needs 671 nautical miles to cover which can be serviced by maintaining 18.2 knots. This cruise has two sea days built in to this leg (only one needed as on return) so time spent in Bermuda is not likely to be affected. The downside is the "escape" built in to a normal schedule by going due east at a faster clip then due south by early AM would've kept the ship in calmer seas (10') whereas now the challenge will be to keep speed maintained and balance (discomfort) by dealing with 18-22' seas. :eek:

Cheers,

Norman

If it's true, someone will probably be back with news/a report when the cruise is over.

This is happening a lot lately isn't it?? :rolleyes:

It seems like it, doesn't it? But I think it's more a matter of the huge numbers of cruise ships these days. When there were fewer (and smaller) ships, there were far fewer pax. More pax = more chance of someone overboard. We hear about it more often because there are so many millions of pax.

Sad to hear another report. It's got to be devastating for the family, regardless of what or how it happened.

beachchick

as 4/29 the Captain had a man overboard training that we watched from our mini. Then threw a stuffed dummy floating & the lifeboats were down & out to get him as he was drifting farther & farther in the waves. The boats were in the water & how fast they got the dummy on a hard board lifted into the ship. We were impressed with what we watched & lucky that no one wanted to volunteer.

Then the next day we had CODE ALPHA with stewards running to staircases. The Captain announced the party was OK in medical, but later in the day we saw a lifeboat taking a person with family & luggage into shore. No copters seen in Bermuda.

So for this person, I hope they found him/her & all is OK. But sometimes folks have just too much badness for them to tolerate, so this is the easy way out. I sure hope not...........

I have seen -0- on then news so far,

The only new report I saw was last night at 11:00 and there were absolutely no details other than the ship was stopped 40 miles outside of New Jersey to do the search. I can't find any more info. online. My friend texted me this morning and said they are moving now and in a bad storm...

The only new report I saw was last night at 11:00 and there were absolutely no details other than the ship was stopped 40 miles outside of New Jersey to do the search. I can't find any more info. online. My friend texted me this morning and said they are moving now and in a bad storm...

Thanks Niki, hopefully we will get a better idea of what happened today. It does seem this is happening more all the time, but I suppose part of the reason has to do with the number of people cruising and the number of ships at sea.

Nita

You can see the Dawn still off the NY coast at 06:00 UTC ( I believe that is 1 am EDT) The Spirit was already south of Deleware at the same time

1488101695_Overboardmap.jpg.47144abcd223713c09c1a4c0cd02ed48.jpg

You can see the Dawn still off the NY coast at 06:00 UTC ( I believe that is 1 am EDT) The Spirit was already south of Deleware at the same time

Having just left the ship yesterday morning - this really disturbs me. The weather we came back in was anything but ideal so....... I feel sorry for this person as well as the passengers onboard - what a way to start a vacation.

One of my colleagues parents are on this cruise. They reported that a girl was trying to climb from one balcony to another and fell overboard. She has not been found.

How stupid but still so very sad.

One of my colleagues parents are on this cruise. They reported that a girl was trying to climb from one balcony to another and fell overboard. She has not been found.

:eek:

I hope that's just a rumor floating around the ship.

If I hear of a person jumping (suicide) my heart aches for their family and I feel sad that they felt the need to resort to killing themselves. But when a person does something so utterly STUPID like this, it pisses me off. If this is true, the grief she has caused those who love her because of sheer stupidity is just too much to comprehend.

I found this small article........so very sad.....I just got off the dawn. I can't even imagine how things like this happen..

news

E-Mail News Alerts

Get breaking news, daily headlines and more.

More

Woman Missing After Falling From Cruise Ship Near N.J.

POSTED: 9:29 am EDT May 12, 2008

UPDATED: 9:37 am EDT May 12, 2008

NEW YORK -- The Coast Guard is searching for a 46-year-old female cruise ship passenger who fell overboard approximately 45 miles northeast of Atlantic City, N.J.

The ship, the Norwegian Dawn, had left from port in New York City en route for Bermuda.

Coast Guard officials said the woman fell overboard Sunday night.

Coast Guard Air Station Atlantic City launched two helicopter crews at 3:50 a.m. to search for the missing woman. The crews conducted search patterns for two hours before returning to base due to inclement weather.

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080512/NEWS/80512016/-1/NEWS10

ATLANTIC CITY — The Coast Guard is searching for a 46-year-old female passenger of the cruise ship Norwegian Dawn after it was reported she fell overboard approximately 45-miles northeast of Atlantic City, Sunday night.

Coast Guard Air Station Atlantic City launched two HH-65 Dolphin helicopter crews at 3:50 a.m., and arrived on-scene at about 4:18 a.m. The crews conducted search patterns for two hours before returning to base due to inclement weather.

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080512/NEWS/80512016/-1/NEWS10

ATLANTIC CITY — The Coast Guard is searching for a 46-year-old female passenger of the cruise ship Norwegian Dawn after it was reported she fell overboard approximately 45-miles northeast of Atlantic City, Sunday night.

Coast Guard Air Station Atlantic City launched two HH-65 Dolphin helicopter crews at 3:50 a.m., and arrived on-scene at about 4:18 a.m. The crews conducted search patterns for two hours before returning to base due to inclement weather.

If these reports are correct, first I must say my sympathies go out to the family of this woman.

Secondly, how stupid is this? I can only guess, and it is just that, a guess, that alcohol played some roll in this accident as is usually the case. No reasonable person with a clear head would do something like this.

Too bad for all concerned.

Archived