Specialty Restaurants?

WE are starting to rethink about making dinning reservation at the specialty restaurants, do to the cost? Also how much better is the food and service as going to the main dinning room? Its like we have paid to eat in the main dinning and then paying again to eat at the specialty restaurant..And what about tips for main dinning room if we do not eat there for two nights? We were on DCL Wonder two years ago and most everthing was free, scoops ice cream, soda. First time on RCI for us, any help.... Going on Liberty 5-24-08...Thanks

We always eat at Portofino's and sometimes we do Chops also. We love both of them. I think it is worth the extra cost, the food and service is always excellent. The food in the dining rooms is good but we think the resturants are better. If you dont eat in the dining room each night that is ok, and what you tip them is up to you. However we always have such great service in the dining room that we tip them as if we had been there the whole time. Just the way we are....:)

WE are starting to rethink about making dinning reservation at the specialty restaurants, do to the cost? Also how much better is the food and service as going to the main dinning room? Its like we have paid to eat in the main dinning and then paying again to eat at the specialty restaurant..And what about tips for main dinning room if we do not eat there for two nights? We were on DCL Wonder two years ago and most everthing was free, scoops ice cream, soda. First time on RCI for us, any help.... Going on Liberty 5-24-08...Thanks

To each their own, but you will not see this in the dining room....

2150286830080875955S500x500Q85.jpg

2517240360080875955S500x500Q85.jpg

2427652840080875955S500x500Q85.jpg

The biggest difference in the specialty restaurants is the food is prepared to order, not mass produced!

BILL

The food, presentation, and service is much better in the Specialty restaurants. You owe it to yourself to try them out. Really no comparison IMO.

We have never thought of deducting tips from our dining room servers for any days missed in the dining room. But I suppose an argument could be made for doing so especially if you dine onshore or at a Specialty restaurant where we always add to the set service fee.

You will not get a meal or like this anywhere for $20.00 or $25.00 pp

Try it, youll love the experience, food, and the service. I kind of favor Chops over Portofino but I love steak. But I understand that Portofino has a fantastic steak as well.

Just off Liberty's 4/19 sailing! Definitely go to the specialty restaurants. We went to Portofino's on the Thursday night of our sailing and it was excellent. Nice table for 2 overlooking the ocean. Perfectly cooked filet mignon w/reduction sauce, shrimp rissotto, cream of mushroom soup, yummy salad, and spectacular desserts. The food is a cut above anything else on the ship.

After eating there my husband regretted not dining there more than once. Well worth it........Our last day we went to JRockets w/the kids w/two coupons(for 2 free covers) and left w/bill of $38.00(cost for 3 covers for the kids and 4 milkshakes).......next time I'd skip JR's and put the $$ toward the specialty restaurants.

Enjoy you willl love the Liberty. RE: tipping - always give at least the minimum recommended regardless of whether you go to dining room - tips are shared and relied upon by the staff.

I do not eat in the speciality restaurants onboard because we enjoy those dining experiences several times a year at home. Nothing new to us. However, on our most recent Mariner cruise my husband went to Chops with a friend who insisted he just had to go. DH said he will not do it again. DH said that the cost was the deciding factor for him. He said it was okay...but not worth the $$$. He felt the quality of meat was better and the service was top notch but overall the food was not that great. If these "speciality restaurants" is something you do not get the opportunity to do at home then I say try it. What do you have to lose besides $25. Then you will know if the speciality places will be part of your cruise highlights:)

We're racking up the RCCL Visa points just so we can go to both.

That is all we use our RCCL points and stock ownership OBC for. We have not had a meal in the dining room in over four years. Yummy!

BILL

That is all we use our RCCL points and stock ownership OBC for. We have not had a meal in the dining room in over four years. Yummy!

BILL

WOW Bill those photos are great! What on earth was the huge skewer type thing in the first photo? it looks lovely! :D

To each their own, but you will not see this in the dining room....

2150286830080875955S500x500Q85.jpg

2517240360080875955S500x500Q85.jpg

2427652840080875955S500x500Q85.jpg

The biggest difference in the specialty restaurants is the food is prepared to order, not mass produced!

BILL

Bill,

Stop torchering me man I only got 5 days to go!!! hahaha. I think I'm gonna order your exact meal.

Hello, just got back yesterday from my first Royal Caribbean Cruise, Freedom of the Seas. DH and I took a chance and went to Portofinos on Wednesday night. I would say it was one of our best decisions of the cruise. It's a true dining "experience" - you know how they say we also eat with our eyes, ears, etc...

We had an early (6:00 pm) reservation and got seated at a table by the window. The sun was setting and ship was sailing away from USVI. There could not have been a better scenery as classic italian music was being played.

The Service and food was even better than the dining room, the waiters, wine stewards were extremely attentive, but not annoying. The menu choice exquisite, the price reasonable (only $20 pp) I ordered the lobster skewer (previous poster had a pic) that was incredible and our server plated the food for us.

The flourless chocolate cake was presented so uniquely.

I urge anyone to try specialty dining.:)

Do most people leave an additional tip when eating in the speciality restraunts? what is a reasonable amount for 2 people to tip for great service and a wondeful meal? :confused:

Do most people leave an additional tip when eating in the speciality restraunts? what is a reasonable amount for 2 people to tip for great service and a wondeful meal? :confused:

We usually leave an extra $10 for the two of us. We also fully tip in the dining room, even if we eat in the Windjammer one night - it's not the waiters' fault that we decided to eat elsewhere.

This weekend, I had dinner in a nice hotel - so-so sirloin for $25 - did not include appetizer, soup, salad, coffee or dessert - AND they added a 20% gratuity (I was with a group) for painfully mediocre service. When I consider that, the specialty restaurants on RCCL are a steal. Haven't been to Chops as yet, but the filet in Portofino is awsome. Sure, you've paid for the dining room meal, but as someone correctly pointed out, the meal in the specialty restaurant would probably be close to $100 at home.

We have been to Portofinos once. We were impressed with both the food and service. A step above the dining room for sure.

Having said that, I enjoy the dining room as well, and do not feel compelled to book a bunch of nights at the specialty restaurants.

On our upcoming 10 night cruise, we are planning one night at Portofinos and one night at Chops.

Really, since you've paid for all of your meals, that extra $20-25 you pay for the specialty restaurants works out to more than the additional fee!

But, the food is good (actually, it's what the dining room USED to serve!), so if you want to do it, go ahead! Many folks don't!

Archived