How to Pack Everything You Own in One Bag

Coreopsis

Hummm, I will pass this on to my wife. We started packing last night for our cruise and it's not a pretty site so far (lol). The only thing we have going for us is we are allowed 2 suitcases for our international flight. If this was a domestic flight we would have some serious additional charges:( .

Not getting the concept of "wrap" packing, but maybe she will understand....

Thanks,

John

Here's a rather timely story from NPR - I will have to try it out. Um, the suggestion to only take 2 pairs of shoes is crazy talk. That is why I steal space from my DH bag!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=90297199&ft=1&f=100

Hi Coreopsis :)

Interesting article - thanks for posting it.

I agree with your reaction to the shoe comment considering for our cruise next month, I will need shoes for formal night, shoes for informal night, casual shoes, comfortable walking shoes for European excursions, at the very minimum. However, I think it is possible to cruise with just two pair of shoes on one of the upscale cruise lines that is country club casual every night.

One of my friends just packs enough clothes for seven days whether she is taking a one week vacation or a one month vacation. She feels that if a trip is longer than a week she will have laundry done, mix and match, and wear some outfits more than once. While I think it is a great idea, I can't get myself to do it.

One thing I have found to be helpful is to lay out the clothes that I plan to take in one of our spare bedrooms a week before we leave. Then as that week progresses, I rethink about what I really need, and often half the clothes that I initially laid out for a cruise winds up back in my closet instead of in a suitcase.

My husband, on the other hand, usually starts packing about an hour before we have to leave for the airport :)

Except for the 2 pairs of shoes thing, I already do some of those things. I do bundle wrap Bill's pants and casual shirts. I leave the shirts on hangers (the cheap tubluar type and I leave them) and slip a dry cleaner bag over each pair of 2 shirts. Then I lay them in the bottom of the bag with the tops in the bag and the bottoms hanging out, each 2 shirts going in the opposite direction. Then I bundle his pants, waist to knee going in opposite directions. When they're all laid out I fold the legs over, alternating sides. Then I lay this bundle on the shirts and fold the parts of the shirts that were hanging over the side, alternating sides, on top. If I'm packing a duffle I do this operation on the bed and then just lift the whole thing into the bag because it's awkward to do it right in the bag. There's lots of room around the sides for shoes (which I do stuff with socks, belt (a reversible black and brown from Magellans) trravel clock, and other small things. I use packing cubes for underware and such. I rreally can pack all of his casual clothes in one bag. If we're cruising and need formal and informal wear I pack all his dress slacks, jackets, all shirts on hangers, suit (ties rolled up in the jacket pockets) all my formal and dressy clothes in a garment bag with the pockets filled with as much underwear and casual wear as I can get in them. I could probably get everything else in one 26" bag if I needed to. I don't want to have to find out, though.

You're all aware, aren't you, that it's possible for a couple to pack what they need for a two-week trip to Europe in three carry-on size pieces of luggage. If we can do that, then packing for a cruise shouldn't be so tough.

Happy cruising to all who still can afford to cruise!

Bob

Is all of this to avoid the $25 charge ($50 round trip)? I don't get it. Having the clothes/shoes I want for my vacation is worth so much more than $50! I imagine many of the people who work SO hard to cut back on their packing are packing brand-new clothes they spent a good chunk of change on, too...

One of the keys to proper cruise packing is to take certain items that you have determined have only one time to wear left in them. (Some of you know what I'm talking about.) That way you wear them one more time, throw them away, and you now have room in your suitcases for all those items you bought on your cruise. That way you don't have a problem on your return flight.

Happy cruising to all who still can afford to cruise!

Bob

I have said this on other post on here.

I DO NOT get the shoe thing!! Even before when I had choices, 3 pairs was the most that ever went with me.

1 pair of black sandals that covered formal and informal

1 pair of tennis shoes

1 pair of casual brown sandals

The key to light packing is KISS! Keep It Simple Stupid!!

If it can't go with more than one top or one bottom it stays at home!

Brown and Black as your primary colors. Shaws, wraps, cover-ups can be your flair of color. Easy to pack.

One of the keys to proper cruise packing is to take certain items that you have determined have only one time to wear left in them. (Some of you know what I'm talking about.)

While I know what you are talking about, any clothes of mine that have only one wear left in them don't find their way into my suitcase for a cruise.:eek:

We take less, pack light...enjoy not schlepping lots of luggage around and still have more than enough to wear. The ship's laundry is great!

While I know what you are talking about, any clothes of mine that have only one wear left in them don't find their way into my suitcase for a cruise.:eek:

We take less, pack light...enjoy not schlepping lots of luggage around and still have more than enough to wear. The ship's laundry is great!

Susan, I'm with you there! One more wear left in them? No thank you very much. I will take my favourite clothes and pack a little less to make use of the laundry service and it works a treat. My suitcase is rarely more than 44lbs with tux and I don't think I look like I've just folded myself out of it;)

Phil

• Have at least 1 change of clothes in your carry-on.
  • Wear shoes you can slip off to make security lines faster (socks or pedicure a must :) )
  • Cross pack between spousal units so that if one suitcase is lost for a few days (famous for happening in Italy last summer!) you can both manage for a few days.
  • Meds, Rx, reading glasses, all your travel info with you - not in suitcase.

The packing in one suitcase isn't just to save the buckaroos - for those of us with trips pre/post cruise - saves you lugging heavy multiple suitcases on trains, planes and automobiles.

Three pairs of shoes is still crazy talk. I will steal space from my DH suitcase. He won't remember to check the outside pockets :)

Alaska = at least one pair of rain shoes/boots + strappy evening shoes + workout shoes for gym + walking shoes or sandals (something you can wear to the jacuzzi, and around town on sunny days.) Minimum of 4 pairs.

And one more wear left in them? - um, not so much. That's what I use when I garden or for painting the house. Not on vacation and not if I am hoping to get upgraded to first class flight, etc.

I do love the laundry service on the cruise. But my suitcase fills with shoes, hair products, cosmetics and devices, iPod, camera, chargers - I will be lucky to fit clothing at all! Oh sorry, that's a different charter :) We often bring a lovely bottle of wine if we are celebrating a special occasion (and isn't vacation always special?) OK, 2 bottles of wine because that is the size of the wine case. Truly, there will be no room after all that.

I had the airline weigh my suitcase the last trip I was on - really not much in it and it weighed 29lbs! The airline guy says that's the problem with the nifty bags with wheels and telescoping handles, etc. My bag alone weighs about 20lbs. I guess I should look for something a little lighter. On our last trip to Europe (last fall) they even weighed our carry on :eek: and man, I had it crammed. Fortunately, it was under the limit - don't recall what the limit was, but that was a first for carry-on and we were flying Biz class!

OK, so I do need to explain the "one wear left" policy that I adhere to.

I am referring to socks, white T-shirts and briefs/boxers. When I have worn them to the point that there is "one wear left," I set them aside for my next vacation, rather than wear them at home. I go out and buy new (on sale, of course), if I don't have a package on hand, and go about life. After I wear them the last time, on vacation, I toss them, thus leaving room in my suitcase for whatever miscellaneous items my DW acquires while we're on vacation.

I wear perfectly acceptable clothing on the outside and nobody's the wiser, except for me. (And, of course, all of you.)

Happy cruising to all who can still afford to cruise!

Bob

P.S. What in the world is First Class? I fly Southwest almost everywhere! By the way, our "nifty" 29" suitcases, which cost me $50 each in 1994, have nice pull handles and wheels, but only weigh in at 9 lbs. each.

I am referring to socks, white T-shirts and briefs/boxers. When I have worn them to the point that there is "one wear left," I set them aside for my next vacation, rather than wear them at home. I go out and buy new (on sale, of course), if I don't have a package on hand, and go about life. After I wear them the last time, on vacation, I toss them, thus leaving room in my suitcase for whatever miscellaneous items my DW acquires while we're on vacation.

I wear perfectly acceptable clothing on the outside and nobody's the wiser, except for me. (And, of course, all of you.)

Bob

P.S. What in the world is First Class? I fly Southwest almost everywhere!

My friends and family laugh at me for doing the same thing. It really surprised me how much room those items take up.

Well I congratulate all of you who seem to be expert packers. I am definitely "packing challenged." I try to cut down on the shoes and the clothes, but in the end ... well, let's just say I always overpack.

I accept the fact that this might be one of my major faults, but hey I'm only human. It's my vacation and if it makes me feel better to take a ridiculously overpacked suitcase, then that's what I will do.

Maybe one day I will seek help for my problem. Happy cruising everyone!!!

Well I congratulate all of you who seem to be expert packers. I am definitely "packing challenged." I try to cut down on the shoes and the clothes, but in the end ... well, let's just say I always overpack.

I accept the fact that this might be one of my major faults, but hey I'm only human. It's my vacation and if it makes me feel better to take a ridiculously overpacked suitcase, then that's what I will do.

Maybe one day I will seek help for my problem. Happy cruising everyone!!!

No need to seek help. As long as you can afford the surcharges, over-weight fees and the like, then take as much as you want and be HAPPY! It's your vacation, so live it up!

Bob

Hey, we all need to give ourselves a pat on the back, we have already cut way back, we use to be allowed 70lbs per suitcase.

Last year we made it with 3 suitcases, each 50lbs, two garment bags and a large woman's purse. I cut back to 3 pairs of heels for evening wear, from a half a dozen or more.

I do try to pack for a week and repeat outfits when the trip is longer.

We even took gifts for family we have overseas and managed.

Our next trip is to Mexico, round trip out of San Francisco, we will take a taxi to the ship, so we don't need to worry how much we take. :D

Hey, we all need to give ourselves a pat on the back, we have already cut way back, we use to be allowed 70lbs per suitcase.

Last year we made it with 3 suitcases, each 50lbs, two garment bags and a large woman's purse. I cut back to 3 pairs of heels for evening wear, from a half a dozen or more.

Our next trip is to Mexico, round trip out of San Francisco, we will take a taxi to the ship, so we don't need to worry how much we take. :D

Oh, quit bragging!:p You people who live close enough to drive to the port are so lucky. I live close enough, if you call an 8-hour drive to San Francisco close enough. I have to drive 3 1/2 hours just to get to a reasonably priced airport (Portland) to begin my trip.

Bob

I am currently looking at shipping my luggage to the ship for my med cruise.

The cheapest I have found so far is $659 dollars round trip for one large bag. Almost $900 for 1 large and 1 medium bag. YUKE!

I am currently looking at shipping my luggage to the ship for my med cruise.

The cheapest I have found so far is $659 dollars round trip for one large bag. Almost $900 for 1 large and 1 medium bag. YUKE!

What, and miss the opportunity to schlep your own suitcases from one place to another?

Bob

My schleping days are just about over. Plus the last time I flew and sailed out of Europe, the airline took my luggage off the plane for a later flight coming in the next day. Then the cruise line "misplaced it" in a crew members cabin.

Hi Bob...I knew what you meant when you posted it earlier.... LOL.:) Still can't bring myself to take those "one last wear" items with me on a cruise .... what will DH think looking at me in those stretched out, holy items!:D

Love you - and we are neighbors!

Oh, quit bragging!:p You people who live close enough to drive to the port are so lucky. I live close enough, if you call an 8-hour drive to San Francisco close enough. I have to drive 3 1/2 hours just to get to a reasonably priced airport (Portland) to begin my trip.

Bob

Luck has nothing to do with it. It is a choice (that we pay for dearly, I might add . . . but willingly!)

:) :)

Archived