How to Pack Everything You Own in One Bag

Coreopsis

OK, so I do need to explain the "one wear left" policy that I adhere to.

I am referring to socks, white T-shirts and briefs/boxers. When I have worn them to the point that there is "one wear left," I set them aside for my next vacation, rather than wear them at home. I go out and buy new (on sale, of course), if I don't have a package on hand, and go about life. After I wear them the last time, on vacation, I toss them, thus leaving room in my suitcase for whatever miscellaneous items my DW acquires while we're on vacation.

OK, now I understand. Those items just don't really add up to much in my suitcase. The shoes seem to be the main culprit. Briefs and boxers with "one wear left" has my brain going in a place it doesn't want to go. Is the definition of "one wear left" about to hole or already holed? On second thoughts, don't answer that one:D

Phil

After being a chronic over packer for years I decided last year to change my ways. I read as much as I could on packing and clothes that I could get my hands on and started to develop a plan that would work for my lifestyle. The two books I have gotten the most out of is Smart Packing for Today’s Traveler and Anne McAlpin Pack It Up. Anne’s book is directed more for ladies but I found many useful ideas from men as well. Another web site packinglight.com has some useful information on packing as well as clothing and items to assist in your goal.

The first thing I did was to buy clothing that advertised having moisture wicking properties for everyday and shore excursion use. I found this type of clothing to be lighter and most importantly quick drying for easy hand washing. The material in this kind of clothing is generally wrinkle resistant is a real plus also. You can now find this moisture wicking clothing in sporting good, camping, or traveling clothing stores. I also pack quick drying underwear and socks. For evening wear I still bring traditional style of garments but less of them. We generally go on 12 day or longer cruises and I pack to get at least 2 uses out of them for shirts and I will pack 3 pants. If necessary I will use the cruise lines laundry services.

As for packing I use a combination of rolling and packing folders and cubes. I roll t-shirts, shorts, bathing suits, or any other item to fill the cavities between the telescoping hardware to make a level layer. This is also where I pack shoes in this cavity. In the shoes I place rolled ties and socks. On the next layer in my 25 in bag I pack 2 cubes and a toiletry bag. These cubes though they don’t look it hold a lot. I roll 5 polo style shirts in one and pajamas and t-shirts in the other. I then pack folders one for dress shirts and one for pants. I find the 18 inch handy for pants and either a 15 or 18 inch one for shirts. The 15 inch is helpful because if you have to use 2of them it makes better use of the space in a layer. My luggage comes with a garment bag and I do use it for my suit.

I have done interfolding method of packing suggested in the two books but I have found the cubes and folders much easier to organize. On youtube.com you can find videos on how to use the packing cubes and folders. Here is one of them http://youtube.com/watch?v=7dLc-O809rM&feature=related .

Packing shoes are a real pain not only do they add extra weight but they take up valuable space in your suitcase. I usually take a pair of walking, dress, and sandals. Lately I also like to bring along hiking shoes for the added support. If I bring hiking shoes I will wear them instead of packing them.

Another thing you can do to lighten your load is to pack travel size containers. Alltravelsizes.com and minimus.biz are two handy sites to find such items. I just received a 1/2oz bottle of shaving oil from pacificshaving.com I was surprised how well it worked. I used the recommended 7 drops of this liquid and got a close save. The company claims this size will give you up to 100 shaves. It comes in a bottle about the size of an eye wash solution. This is a real space saving over even travel size shaving creams.

Shak

Shak... thank you for that informative post! I follow many of your suggestions, but was not familiar with the folders and cubes. The video was great...I'm a fan of Eagle Creek so will stop by our local outdoor store for the folders/cubes.

There are lots of informative hints from the website mentioned and from other posters on this thread. :) In addition to making a list of what I plan to wear (and when), so that I can cut down on the number of packed items, I have used a form of the bundle wrapping plus plastic (dry cleaner) wrapping of items for some time, the only difference being that I did not use a "core" item. Will try that next time.

Here is another hint which helps with weight/space. Even if you are leaving a snow-bound airport, wear the sneakers/running shoes that you will wear for excursions (leaving your winter gear in the trunk of your car... after you have dropped off your wife in her running shoes with your luggage at the terminal, of course:D). You might get a little cold from the car to the terminal, but once there, you will probably not be outside until you arrive at the (warm weather) port of departure. This saves space/weight in your luggage, while still providing one pair of footwear,each,for you and your wife.

Shak, thanks for the info. I pack my shoes in the plastic sleeves that our morning paper comes in, no dirt and they weigh nothing. i am packing challenged, but i do try to do better each trip. The real challenge will be a TA next year since we hope to spend time in Spain first. I'll just have to practice.

But my suitcase fills with shoes, hair products, cosmetics and devices, iPod, camera, chargers - I will be lucky to fit clothing at all!

That's my biggest problem, too.

I just made a list of the non-clothes items I normally take along. This is in preparation for a 10 day, 5 city Europe business/pleasure trip. On one flight we're limited to 44 pounds of checked luggage and our carry ons will be weighed and can only be 11 pounds. DH needs to be dressed in suits for this trip and we barely have the time in any city to have his clothes cleaned. This will be a challenge...:eek:

I DO NOT get the shoe thing!! Even before when I had choices, 3 pairs was the most that ever went with me.

1 pair of black sandals that covered formal and informal

1 pair of tennis shoes

1 pair of casual brown sandals

I was pretty much going to say the same thing... First off, I had to laugh at the OP's "2 shoes...crazy talk" comment...LOL! :D Now, I am definintely NOT a girly-girl, so this is probably why I don't need as many shoes!

For my next cruise, I am taking 2 pairs of shoes (and I'll be wearing one pair). I'll wear my runners for walking and daytime, and one pair of dressier, flat shoes (hate heels!) for evenings covering formal, informal and casual.

Now, if I was going someplace warm, I would also bring one pair of sandals. But that's it!

Happy packing everyone!

Hmg as you are finding out the luggage restrictions for flights in Europe are different. That really makes packing challenging like you said. I believe the recent changes in check luggage are only the beginning and not the end of changes. I have read that some believe it won’t be long before airlines will charge for all checked luggage.

I forgot Anne McAlpin has a modified version of her DVD on packing on youtube.com also

. What I like most of her packing method is the three bag technique. She uses a large bag and to that she hangs a rolling tote and her personal bag fits over the handle. Remember your personal bag can be up to 36 liner inches on most airlines so don’t cheat yourself with a smaller one. As always check the luggage rules for the airline you are traveling. Packinglight.com also has a youtube.com site

Speaking of youtube.com I even have a site their http://youtube.com/user/Shak51 . This is a slideshow of our Hawaii trip last October. If you watch it there is a couple of things I should explain. First I did not stay in the Royal Suite but I know who did. The sunrise pictures are from Mt Haleakala and even with the low resolution of youtube.com you can see how spectacular that is. The only picture of me is in front of the helicopter.

Shak

As we found out the hard way, if you're flying from or connecting in England you're allowed one carry-on. Period. And your purse counts as a carry-on.

As far as shoes, I couldn't get along with 3 pairs. Black heels for formal nights, dressy black and neutral flats for informal and casual nights, white and tan fisherman sandals for on shore (or 2 pairs of closed walking shoes), thongs for to and from the pool, and probably a pair of more open sandals for deck wear. If I think I might be using the gym, a pair of trainers. That's not too bad, but it's more than 3 pairs and a lot fewer than I'd take if I could take all I wanted.

As we found out the hard way, if you're flying from or connecting in England you're allowed one carry-on. Period. And your purse counts as a carry-on.

NO - THIS IS OLD NEWS. The one-bag restriction by the British Aviation Authority at Heathrow is NOT ANY MORE, THANK GOODNESS!!! (We've had to stuff the purse in the carryon the past couple of years...)

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagcabin/public/en_us

Last year on our way back home from London, England, we found we were only allowed to take one bag through the security check. There were a lot of people trying to stuff their purses, camera cases etc into their carry on bag and holding everything up. As soon as you were through security you could take your purse out and carry on as usual. Does anyone know if this rule is still in effect. We are doing a Baltic cruise from the UK in a couple of weeks.

Last year on our way back home from London' date=' England, we found we were only allowed to take one bag through the security check. There were a lot of people trying to stuff their purses, camera cases etc into their carry on bag and holding everything up. As soon as you were through security you could take your purse out and carry on as usual. Does anyone know if this rule is still in effect. We are doing a Baltic cruise from the UK in a couple of weeks.[/quote']

See my post just above yours!

This is truly getting insane. First i have to learn to pack in one bag, and now I hae to wear all the clothes so that I'm not charged for the bags.:D Phew, they are making it really hard to travel.

Is all of this to avoid the $25 charge ($50 round trip)? I don't get it. Having the clothes/shoes I want for my vacation is worth so much more than $50! I imagine many of the people who work SO hard to cut back on their packing are packing brand-new clothes they spent a good chunk of change on, too...

No, Drew. It's not always about saving the surcharge.

Some people like to be able to be mobile quickly. No waiting at luggage carousels, just grab the taxi and go, or roll to your car and go. Rule would be if it it's too heavy for you to carry or pull, then something has to go. If you are transfering from one mode of transportation to another, it's especially helpful. You might be able to board a train or bus with your carryons whereas it's a real hassle with big suitcases. No porters or luggage carts necessary.

It may involve having to wash something out each night, but that is the down side.

A few thoughts...
1. My DH packs almost twice as much stuff as I do--he is a clotheshorse. But I refuse to pack his bag, so, when we arrive on board, I leave the cabin for 30 minutes while he unpacks. Then I come back, he leaves, and I'm done in about ten minutes! We reverse this the night before disembarkation.
2. Three pairs of shoes is really all you need for ten nights. One beach sandal, one dressy evening sandal for formal & informal nights, plus sneakers for trekking or walking off those Celebrity breadsticks.
3. Jackets are 'space and weight' wasters--try a pashmina type shawl instead. So are beaded and sequined gowns.
4. Choose comfortable fabrics that fold easily (well duh) and take up little room. I have been taking the same formal and informal apparel for the last eight cruises--no one has yet to tell me 'are you still wearing THAT dress'?
5. Finally, and most importantly, don't dress trashy (men, that would mean no sleeveless t-shirts and belly revealing overhangs; ladies, that would mean no spandex where it wasn't meant to be), dress classy and SIMPLY, and just ENJOY THE CRUISE!

Archived