Voyage and Destinations DVDs

Avril

I know you can pre-order these on HAL's website but I was wondering, can you order them once onboard the ship as well or do you have to do it on their website before you sail? I alway love these videos as they're such a great souvenier of the cruise (I have one from all my cruises)!! :D If it makes a difference, I'm sailing on the Eurodam over New Years.

Thanks!! :D

There was a time that you could purchase a tape (later a DVD) of your cruise, on your cruise. It was fun to see yourself, and others you had met. It was a kick to see things happening on the ship that took place during your own cruise. Imagine seeing waves hitting the windows on the Crows Nest, and remembering your were there! :)

Now what's sold on-board is stock footage. :(

RuthC:

What is sold on board isn't necessarily stock footage. We got off the Westerdam (19 day FLL-SEA repo), yesterday with two DVDs. One was a "cruise" video, and one was a Panama Canal video. Haven't watched the "cruise" video yet, but in the Canal video, I make 7 appearances, in an at least a supporting role, without any credits or compensation. I will be getting my Screen Actors Guide rep on them for proper payment!!:D :D :D

Bruce

RuthC:

What is sold on board isn't necessarily stock footage.

Maybe they've changed again? In past years I have bought the video of my cruise, and it was entirely filmed on that voyage. Then I noticed the format had changed, and although there were some shots of the specific cruise, but it was also loaded with stock footage. For example, if I took a good look at the singers and dancers, they weren't the ones on my cruise, or the particular production show wasn't presented on my cruise (different costumes was a big tip-off).

I never thought the videos were that good to begin with, but they could be used to generate memories of an exotic cruise. More recently, I find they can't generate a memory because I wasn't there when so many of the scenes were filmed.

If it's back to what used to be I'd be happier to purchase the video.

There was a time that you could purchase a tape (later a DVD) of your cruise, on your cruise. It was fun to see yourself, and others you had met. It was a kick to see things happening on the ship that took place during your own cruise. Imagine seeing waves hitting the windows on the Crows Nest, and remembering your were there!

Now what's sold on-board is stock footage.

So I should buy it before I go (if stock footage is all they sell onboard)? They don't have the activities and passengers (from your specific cruise) waving at the camera? :eek: :(

Do you mean the videos that are full of ship's passengers waving to the camera? Yeah, you can buy those onboard at the end of the cruise. :D

Yep, that's exactly what I mean!! :D They normaly have some of the activities and parties/events on there as well (at least, Carnival does). It's good to know I can buy it onboard, I want to watch it 1st before I spend $ on it. You can watch it either in the Photo Gallery or on your cabin TV right?

I will be getting my Screen Actors Guide rep on them for proper payment!!

LOL!!!! Good Luck on that!! :p :D

Then I noticed the format had changed, and although there were some shots of the specific cruise, but it was also loaded with stock footage. For example, if I took a good look at the singers and dancers, they weren't the ones on my cruise, or the particular production show wasn't presented on my cruise (different costumes was a big tip-off).

I know what you mean. :( The video I got from my cruise on the Carnival Pride had some general exterior ship shots at the beginning. If I looked really carefuly, I could see "Carnival Spirit" written on the ship's side or on a banner in a window. :eek: I have also seen interior footage that has been used so many times that the quality is really bad. :( I've never seen them use footage from shows that we never saw though.

I don't like the stock footage much either :( but it does give you a reminder of what the ship looks like and the cruise specific parts make it worth while in my opinion. :)

Yep, that's exactly what I mean!! :D They normaly have some of the activities and parties/events on there as well (at least, Carnival does). It's good to know I can buy it onboard, I want to watch it 1st before I spend $ on it. You can watch it either in the Photo Gallery or on your cabin TV right?

Yep! They really really want to sell you one of these, so it's playing in the photo gallery and on one of the tv stations.

There was a time that you could purchase a tape (later a DVD) of your cruise, on your cruise. It was fun to see yourself, and others you had met. It was a kick to see things happening on the ship that took place during your own cruise. Imagine seeing waves hitting the windows on the Crows Nest, and remembering your were there! :)

Now what's sold on-board is stock footage. :(

Well Ruth, at least on the Inaugural E'dam cruise, there won't be any stock footage from previous cruises. That DVD might be worth buying. ;)

As we were on a long cruise (19 days) where people could get off, and therefore collect their DVD earlier (at 15 days), we got several previews and sales presentations for our DVD.

The preview of our Canal video appeared to be all or virtually all footage of our cruise. We even saw the cameraman at the Locks, and getting back on the ship when the Pilot got off. We have watched that video, and it appears to be footage only from our cruise, although there is one brief shot at the end I have questions about.

We haven't yet watched the Cruise video. The sales preview appeared to be mostly stock footage, as we saw footage from HMC with two ships present (we were the only ship there on our stop) and with an R or S class ship there (we were on the Westerdam, a Vista). We also saw a family of four kids- we had only two kids on the entire ship, from two different families.

And yes, both videos have lots of people waving for the camera, including yours truly...

Yep! They really really want to sell you one of these, so it's playing in the photo gallery and on one of the tv stations.

Excellent!! :D

Well Ruth, at least on the Inaugural E'dam cruise, there won't be any stock footage from previous cruises. That DVD might be worth buying. ;)

Good point. That's a DVD that I would definatly be buying!! :D I hope the DVD from my E-Dam New Years cruise is just as worth it!! :D They could however still use stock footage of the ship that they'll use for every cruise DVD (not saying they will, it's just possible).

Archived