GRRRR...more fallout from the sick child on RCCL

crusinmama06

The pregnancy rule is justified. The 24th week of pregnancy is considered the point of viability for the baby, meaning that should you go into early labor or something, the baby can be delivered and have a good chance of survival, but only if you are near a facility with the proper equipment. No cruise ship would be able to handle this kind of situation. This rule really is for the protection of a pregnant woman and her child.

Ahem....

I read it as more of a CYA for RCCL..... After all, if RCCL knowingly let a woman whom was more than 24 weeks sail on any ship, wouldn't that imply that they should also be prepared and able to accommodate that type of a pregnancy emergency (early delivery).

One could always argue that RCCL "should be fully prepared to accommodate this circumstance because they knowing let the mom to be cruise after 24 weeks"

I'm not arguing the validity of the 24 week rule, just saying that I don't think RCCL made the rule to protect the mother and child :rolleyes: - I think they made it to reduce their liability!:cool:

Ahem....

I read it as more of a CYA for RCCL..... After all, if RCCL knowingly let a woman whom was more than 24 weeks sail on any ship, wouldn't that imply that they should also be prepared and able to accommodate that type of a pregnancy emergency (early delivery).

One could always argue that RCCL "should be fully prepared to accommodate this circumstance because they knowing let the mom to be cruise after 24 weeks"

I'm not arguing the validity of the 24 week rule, just saying that I don't think RCCL made the rule to protect the mother and child :rolleyes: - I think they made it to reduce their liability!:cool:

I can't blame them, I would make this rule, it's for their protection and the protection of woman and child. There is no feasable way for them to accomodate the possible issues arising from this situation. They are not the first cruise line to have this rule and I know of no OB who would allow a patient to go on a cruise at this point, risky pregnancy or not.

I can't blame them, I would make this rule, it's for their protection and the protection of woman and child. There is no feasable way for them to accomodate the possible issues arising from this situation. They are not the first cruise line to have this rule and I know of no OB who would allow a patient to go on a cruise at this point, risky pregnancy or not.

I agree, we actually canceled the first cruise we were supposed to be on b/c I got pregnant and would be too far along when we cruised. Good thing b/c I delivered early, the same week we were supposed to be on the cruise. No way would my son have made it if we hadn't been close to the hospital, he didn't even weigh 2lbs.

I'm curious about this to. Is Celebrity sending a letter out to every cruiser stating the new rules? If you're not on the computer checking new rules/laws on these boards and the cruiseline website almost daily then 1/2 of the ship will be denied boarding for something: young babies, overly pregnant without a note, smoking, etc.

And, if you're not showing much, how can they even tell you're pregnant? Are they going to risk going up to all large women asking how pregnant they are? In this sue happy country we live in I see a fat-discrimination lawsuit coming.

Well they will be told in their cruise contract. Everyone receives and signs one before boarding right?

But you're right, I can imagine there are some very surprised cruisers.

And I am with ya...nobody better ask me if I'm pregnant :eek: Thems fighting words...lol HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This will be my daughter's first cruise (she's 8) and she is so excited. We've been traveling with her since she was 6 months old.

This will be my 8 yr. olds 3rd cruise, and she can't get enough. As soon as we get home she starts asking when we'll do another.

Sweetest Sin--we're on the same ship as you this year. Your daughter will love the Adventure Ocean program.

Anyhow, if it wasn't for all of us families filling these ships up, then there wouldn't be a need for so many of them. Therefore, there probably wouldn't be as many new ships and because of supply and demand, the prices would most likely be more. If they only had two people in all the cabins instead of 3 or 4, they couldn't afford to sail the ships. If I couldn't take my kids with me, I'd take all of my money and go somewhere that would.

So if your grandchildren, whom you love dearly, wanted to go on a cruise with you...you would say "No, absolutly not. I don't want you in MY pool and sitting at my table?" ;)

This is where I depart from some assumptions..........my grandchildren.....oldest is eight........do not "want to go on a cruise with me".........that is something you parents have assumed.

I doubt my grandchildren want to fly many hours.....stand in many lines.....sit at formal / semi formal dinners.....sit through shows....attend long excursions......and all the other thing adults do on cruises. They want to go to Disneyland, Legoland, picnics, etc......not get dragged along on adult vacations.

So when we vacation with the kids..........we do kid things (including the kid pools and kid dinner tables)...............when the adults go on vacations........we do adult things (including adult pools and tables)....;)

This is where I depart from some assumptions..........my grandchildren.....oldest is eight........do not "want to go on a cruise with me".........that is something you parents have assumed.

I doubt my grandchildren want to fly many hours.....stand in many lines.....sit at formal / semi formal dinners.....sit through shows....attend long excursions......and all the other thing adults do on cruises. They want to go to Disneyland, Legoland, picnics, etc......not get dragged along on adult vacations.

They just don't know what they are missing. ;) :D

My kids wouldn't trade their cruises for the world. But that's not to say that we don't do land vacations either. This is "cruise critic"....but I have land vacations booked every month till the end of the year. :D

This week we leave for Niagara, they love that place. Next month, it's off to Ocean City.

And of course, September is Walt Disney World with a b2b on Disney Wonder.

I agree that I tailor our cruise choices to family friendly cruises. You won't see us sailing Med on a Windstar cruise or anything...lol. Our cruises consist of short plane rides (no more than 2 hours, direct flights). And if the ship doesn't have a kid's water area, you won't see us on it.

Dinner is actually a treat because the servers bend over backwards for the kids. And excursions include swimming with dolphins, going to butterfly or turtle farms and spending the day on waterslides at Atlantis.

No land vacation can beat that. :D

So who knows, maybe one day you will want to do a multi-generational cruise and take the gkids. Four of our cruises have included extended family (grandparents). And I KNOW the gparents wouldn't trade those memories for anything.

"Stand in many lines..." - you're talking about Disneyland, right?;)

My girls prefer the "big boat" to Disneyland. And when I was a kid, I loved the cruises I took with my family much more than theme parks, etc. And I remember my childhood cruises a lot more, and more fondly than theme parks (and that was way back before ships were as kid-friendly as they are now).

Best,

Mia

So when we vacation with the kids..........we do kid things (including the kid pools and kid dinner tables)...............when the adults go on vacations........we do adult things (including adult pools and tables)....;)

This is where each child is different. My daughter wanted a trip to New York City for her 7th birthday. She wanted to go watch a Broadway play, and see the Statue of Liberty, and we took her. She LOVED Mamma Mia. She still constantly plays the CD. Yet, most people would not think a 7 year old would be interested in visiting New York City. She loved visiting museums in Greece, and seeing all the ancient artifacts and visiting historical sites. And, she likes Disney too, and the Carribbean. So, some kids don't mind long flights and want to watch shows and get dressed up, because some kids enjoy that just as much as adults.

This will be my 8 yr. olds 3rd cruise, and she can't get enough. As soon as we get home she starts asking when we'll do another.

Sweetest Sin--we're on the same ship as you this year. Your daughter will love the Adventure Ocean program.

She is really looking forward to it! Its funny because she's already asking when we'll go on our next cruise. LOL, I have to tell her we need to finish this one before we decide if she even likes it and wants to do another :D

This is where each child is different. My daughter wanted a trip to New York City for her 7th birthday.

That's our trip in November! :D I had two very disappointed girls when we went last year to NYC without them. I had to promise to take them this year.

What a wonderful city!

You say your grandchildren do not want to go on a cruise with you... and then you say you DOUBT they would want to do everything you list... so I'm not so sure it's the rest of us that are making assumptions. All cruise ships are now geared towards family vacations, meaning that if the adults want to go to a show, the kids don't have to - they've got somewhere to go that's way more fun (kids' clubs on every ship).

I've also never known a child that didn't want to fly in an airplane. We live in Saskatchewan, which means that just about anywhere we go for a holiday includes at least one stopover, and definitely lots of time in the air. The first time our daughter was old enough to remember flying (her first flights were at 3 months), she was five, and still talks about it at 10. Her first cruise was at the age of 8, and in between that one and her second one, we did a land vacation to Orlando, after which she informed me that she thinks we should stick to cruises at least until she's a teenager, at which time she will reconsider roller coasters. :p

As far as the excursions are concerned, our daughter has always been interested in every excursion we've chosen to do. Being from a landlocked province, we look for exursions that have to do with water, so there are no three hour bus rides to see ruins, just fun on yacht charters, snorkelling, playing with dolphins... and this year we're doing a beginner scuba excursion. Part of it for us, though, is enjoying the excursions WITH her.

I'm not about to tell you that your preference to travel without your grandchildren is wrong. Everyone has a different idea about what makes their vacation perfect for them, and I commend you on knowing what you want and making the effort to find environments that work best for you (as child free as possible). I have to admit, though, that I felt much better about it when you initially posted and simply stated it as your personal preference. Saying that it's because your grandchildren don't want to go, though, I kind of felt like you were passing the buck. Just as you doubt that your grandchildren would want to do any of the things you listed, I doubt you've ever offered them a cruise, told them about all the fun activities for kids available, and had them turn you down. I guess I just feel like you don't need to place any of the responsibility for your decision on them; it's your decision and nothing you said in your post was discriminatory, nor did you suggest that kids shouldn't cruise. :) If, on the other hand, you really have been wanting to take them on a cruise and thinking that they wouldn't want to go, I recommend giving them the option; I guarantee it would be a trip to remember!

That's our trip in November! :D I had two very disappointed girls when we went last year to NYC without them. I had to promise to take them this year.

What a wonderful city!

Mine has been bugging me to go there as well!! As you well know, though, we've got nobody to 'blame' but ourselves - it was us who gave our kids the travel bug!!! (ain't it great? :p )

You say your grandchildren do not want to go on a cruise with you... and then you say you DOUBT they would want to do everything you list... so I'm not so sure it's the rest of us that are making assumptions. All cruise ships are now geared towards family vacations, meaning that if the adults want to go to a show, the kids don't have to - they've got somewhere to go that's way more fun (kids' clubs on every ship).

I've also never known a child that didn't want to fly in an airplane. We live in Saskatchewan, which means that just about anywhere we go for a holiday includes at least one stopover, and definitely lots of time in the air. The first time our daughter was old enough to remember flying (her first flights were at 3 months), she was five, and still talks about it at 10. Her first cruise was at the age of 8, and in between that one and her second one, we did a land vacation to Orlando, after which she informed me that she thinks we should stick to cruises at least until she's a teenager, at which time she will reconsider roller coasters. :p

As far as the excursions are concerned, our daughter has always been interested in every excursion we've chosen to do. Being from a landlocked province, we look for exursions that have to do with water, so there are no three hour bus rides to see ruins, just fun on yacht charters, snorkelling, playing with dolphins... and this year we're doing a beginner scuba excursion. Part of it for us, though, is enjoying the excursions WITH her.

I'm not about to tell you that your preference to travel without your grandchildren is wrong. Everyone has a different idea about what makes their vacation perfect for them, and I commend you on knowing what you want and making the effort to find environments that work best for you (as child free as possible). I have to admit, though, that I felt much better about it when you initially posted and simply stated it as your personal preference. Saying that it's because your grandchildren don't want to go, though, I kind of felt like you were passing the buck. Just as you doubt that your grandchildren would want to do any of the things you listed, I doubt you've ever offered them a cruise, told them about all the fun activities for kids available, and had them turn you down. I guess I just feel like you don't need to place any of the responsibility for your decision on them; it's your decision and nothing you said in your post was discriminatory, nor did you suggest that kids shouldn't cruise. :) If, on the other hand, you really have been wanting to take them on a cruise and thinking that they wouldn't want to go, I recommend giving them the option; I guarantee it would be a trip to remember!

Tell us how you really feel in 1500 words or less.

No need to come down on this poster. She did not say she didn't take her grandkids on vacations and even if she does not, you know absolutely nothing about her life and it's none of our business.

No need to come down on this poster. She did not say she didn't take her grandkids on vacations and even if she does not, you know absolutely nothing about her life and it's none of our business.

:D .....I am a he.......:D

I respect all the other comments......and mine were directed at the infant / toddler age group. Obviously an eight year old can decide what they want to do and where they want to go......a 3 month old can't.....;)

You know, the point of my post was really that the poster doesn't need to give us any explanation of their preference to cruise without kids. I saw nothing in their previous post that would lead me to believe they were anything other than nice, honest people who had made a decision and worked with the industry to get the best vacation they could. I agree it's none of my business... and I didn't think it really had anything to do with the grandchildren... I didn't bring them into it, I just stated my opinion about it... isn't that how forums work? I absolutely did not mean in any way to 'come down' on anyone, least of all JLC.

To JLC: I apologize if I came off as rugrats thought I did. Text isn't always the best medium to use when you want to be understood. You're absolutely right; you can't ask a 3 month old what they want to do. I got the impression from the post that they were older, so please keep that in mind when reading my response. :)

You know, the point of my post was really that the poster doesn't need to give us any explanation of their preference to cruise without kids. I saw nothing in their previous post that would lead me to believe they were anything other than nice, honest people who had made a decision and worked with the industry to get the best vacation they could. I agree it's none of my business... and I didn't think it really had anything to do with the grandchildren... I didn't bring them into it, I just stated my opinion about it... isn't that how forums work? I absolutely did not mean in any way to 'come down' on anyone, least of all JLC.

To JLC: I apologize if I came off as rugrats thought I did. Text isn't always the best medium to use when you want to be understood. You're absolutely right; you can't ask a 3 month old what they want to do. I got the impression from the post that they were older, so please keep that in mind when reading my response. :)

.......no apology is necessary.......I agree with you........and ironicly......two of my Granddaughters live in Prague, Czech Republic.....3 and 8 year olds......and they travel alot........and would enjoy a cruise. But the 8 year old studied about Egypt and wanted to go there......so her family did.

Frankly.....if I had to travel with 3 to 5 year olds......I would do Disney cruises......Princess, which we travel on is more geared for adults

Ok this really reading all this upset me!!! Ok just going to speak my mind, i love to travel and Cruiseing is number 1, last year i did not cruise due to having my first child at (28) and this year i will be going on our first family vacation and my son will be 12 1/2 months old and i am sooooo looking foward to this vacation, this is a family vaca i am in late seating ( i know my sons routines so by 8 is will be fed washed and awake!!! If you know your child well and they are good then you have no problem of taking them on vacation!!!!

My parents and in laws are traveling with us this year and i am so looking foward to it and the pictures and smileing and knowing my DS will not remember i sure will!!! I asked the doctor if he could stay on his formula for an extra 2 weeks and she said no problem so i will bring all his food formula 8oz baby water and pedi lite incase of anything!!!!

It is pretty dumb to book a cruise with a cruiseline that markets to families and then complain about kids. If you want a cruise without infants or toddlers, I'm sure there are cruiselines where you will find them in very low numbers, if at all. Of course, you will pay for that privilege. You can't have it both ways - mass market line means cheap fares which means families with children.

Ok this really reading all this upset me!!! Ok just going to speak my mind, i love to travel and Cruiseing is number 1, last year i did not cruise due to having my first child at (28) and this year

Honestly, the response/opinions I see on the cruising boards stays ON the cruising boards. We don't experience any of the animosity and complete disgust for children onboard the ships.

So, take the comments with a grain of salt.

Of course, I can say that now that I am calm. But maybe I am just in a happy place...lol.:D

On Princess we only ran into one nasty person during the week. They were trying to close the elevator so I couldn't get on with my sleeping 8 month old in a stroller! Then gave me a look when I got on the elevator!

I had never even used elevators on cruise ships before I had the baby and was SHOCKED at some of the behavior I witnessed! All from old people and drunks though. The kids were all nice and helpful!

.......no apology is necessary.......I agree with you........and ironicly......two of my Granddaughters live in Prague, Czech Republic.....3 and 8 year olds......and they travel alot........and would enjoy a cruise. But the 8 year old studied about Egypt and wanted to go there......so her family did.

Frankly.....if I had to travel with 3 to 5 year olds......I would do Disney cruises......Princess, which we travel on is more geared for adults

Thanks for understanding. This text thing can be worse for getting a message straight than trying to pass a phrase along a line of 20 kids (remember that game?).

I was thinking that perhaps you should post on the thread where the parents are considering a Princess cruise for their family. If you have experience with them and they tend to be more geared for adults, your input would be very useful to them. :)

Ok this really reading all this upset me!!! Ok just going to speak my mind, i love to travel and Cruiseing is number 1, last year i did not cruise due to having my first child at (28) and this year i will be going on our first family vacation and my son will be 12 1/2 months old and i am sooooo looking foward to this vacation, this is a family vaca i am in late seating ( i know my sons routines so by 8 is will be fed washed and awake!!! If you know your child well and they are good then you have no problem of taking them on vacation!!!!

My parents and in laws are traveling with us this year and i am so looking foward to it and the pictures and smileing and knowing my DS will not remember i sure will!!! I asked the doctor if he could stay on his formula for an extra 2 weeks and she said no problem so i will bring all his food formula 8oz baby water and pedi lite incase of anything!!!!

It's okay, you'll be fine. Like Cruisinmama, we have never experienced any of the crabby kid haters in person on any of our cruises. If we ever do, though, I will happily (and in a clear and audible speaking voice) discuss their ignorance with my daughter and discuss whether such rude behaviour is acceptable. It's happened a few times already and I'm always so proud of her when she clearly has better manners than they do!! ha ha ha Watching the smug look on their faces change to embarassment when everyone else around them hears the exchange is also a lot of fun!! :p

There was a thread here last year about the same thing (since they just don't seem to ever go away!) and someone was saying that they got on an elevator and a rude passenger said to their friend, 'Ugh, I took this cruise to get away from kids,' and the parent (or grandparent if I remember correctly) simply replied, 'Really? I came to get away from a**holes, I guess we're both disappointed.' hee hee hee

There was a thread here last year about the same thing (since they just don't seem to ever go away!) and someone was saying that they got on an elevator and a rude passenger said to their friend, 'Ugh, I took this cruise to get away from kids,' and the parent (or grandparent if I remember correctly) simply replied, 'Really? I came to get away from a**holes, I guess we're both disappointed.' hee hee hee

Oh I'm saving this one! It has so many useful variations! Thank you! :D

I was thinking that perhaps you should post on the thread where the parents are considering a Princess cruise for their family. If you have experience with them and they tend to be more geared for adults, your input would be very useful to them. :)

Actually, Princess is very family-friendly. My 3 year olds will take their 4th Princess cruise in October. We love it, and there are always tons of other kids - because Princess offers amenities to encourage us to cruise with them. I think that they do such a good job though, that if you are not cruising with children, you don't realize there's a whole population of kids on board with you. (Before I cruised with kids, I didn't notice them on ships either.)

Best,

Mia

Archived