Traveling with pills

lsbauer

We are taking the GCT Romance of the Rhine and Mosel cruise on September 1st.

I take several medications and some additional over the counter pills (asprin, fish oil etc.). Traveling with all those bottles takes up precious luggage space so I would like to parse out each days worth and put them in little ziplock bags. Would this (pills in unmarked containers) be a problem with airport security traveling to EU countries from the US?

Larry

I too take several medications but always bring them in their "original" bottles. It has the brand and generic name. Some of the medications in Europe can be different so if I need one replaced, I always like to have the original to go from. Also, I take double the amount I would need. I ran into a situation where I only took what I needed, got stuck for 5 days due to a medical emeregency and was glad I had the original bottles so the doctor could refill properly. Can't comment if it would be a "problem" with security in zip locks. I also never pack my medications. I take them onboard with me at all times for safety. Carry a medication card with name, times taken during day and "color" of pill. It is easier for my husband to identify. Hope this helps a bit.

Chesie

On our trip (just completed), I had my non-prescription meds (vitamins) in a ziploc but brought my prescription meds in their original bottles. Never had the bags looked at.

The common wisdom is to carry with you prescription meds in their original containers for all the reasons stated previously. DW carries her prescription meds that way.

DW and I also take OTC vitamins and supplements each day. We carry them in weekly reminder cases and for longer cruises mixed together in a nalgene bottle. I have never been questioned about them in the 10 years we have been cruising in Europe, South America, Canada and the US.

For the last 30 years we have put each days pills in a small zip-lock and have never been asked anything about them. We do carry copies of our prescriptions with us however. We always carry two or three day's worth in or carry-on and pack the rest 1/2 in each of our two suitcases.:)

I take several medications and some additional over the counter pills (asprin, fish oil etc.). Traveling with all those bottles takes up precious luggage space so I would like to parse out each days worth and put them in little ziplock bags. Would this (pills in unmarked containers) be a problem with airport security traveling to EU countries from the US?

Larry

Hit the button one too many times....

Larry

Go to your pharmacist and ask for smaller bottles. They will transfer your prescription info onto for you. You can take the OTC stuff without the original packaging, but you should always keep your prescription meds in proper bottles and always in your carryon - just in case. While it might be not be a problem, do you really want to risk having to do wihout necessary meds?

We always carry prescription meds in separate zip close snack bags (or some even smaller bags that buttons, etc. come in). We place each separate prescription med in its own bag with a copy of the prescription (most pharmacies provide a copy anyway) that shows name of medicine and other pertinent information that is on the bottle. We've never had any problems.:)

Isbauer

Betty does travel with a "carry-on pharmacy!" We have never had a problem getting through security with the pills in various containers -- marked and unmarked. I suggest you may want to look at the following TSA website: http://www.tsa.dhs.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/index.shtm

Indeed, most of the time we are zipped through security, and, if given a chance, I will just advise the examiner that there are medications in our carry-on.

Good luck!

Maybe you are confusing the EU regulations on the transport of liquids and gels with your need to take your pills along? Any gel, liquid, etc including mascara and face creams, shampoos etc, IF YOU WANT TO TAKE IT ON BOARD THE AIRCRAFT has to be in containers of 100ml (just over 3 US oz) or less and ALL containers must fit into ONE 1 litre ziplock bag. You can't have two one litre bags, for example. However your pills can happily sit in your carryon bag. Apparently they don't count!

That said - put the medication you must have for the flight and 24 hours following the flight (in case your checked bag is lost) in your carryon and check the rest. Also - DO take prescriptions with you not so much for the security people, but in case you need to replace the medication. Pharmacists here in Europe seem to be able to find the right equivalent easily.

Archived