VEGAN on board -- Anyone?

RaeVynn

Are there any vegetarians/vegans on CC that have cruised on Princess?

I was encouraged when I found VEGAN as a special request option in the Cruise Personalizer, but want to know how well that actually works out in reality.

I'm not liable to have a hissy fit if my dinner ends up with a bit of 'something' in it, but my strong preference is healthy, tasty, well-prepared food that doesn't contain any animal products. I'm also hoping to not have to live on iceberg lettuce!

That depends on what you mean by 'a bit of something' and perhaps where you stand on the use of honey and silk in your life. Its pretty easy to do vegetarian; there are many lovely pasta dishes with vegetarian sauces for dinner. But true vegan is more complex as many meals use milk, butter, cream and many of the breads/rolls/pasta contain eggs. The vegan check box is so that the maitre'd can personally advise you as to which items on the menu meet vegan standards if you do strictly adhere.

On our last cruise (Caribbean Princess) I had no problem whatsoever finding good vegitarian options. I also wasn't too keen on animal by products being mixed in, but it didn't seem like that was the case. They always had some great sauteed vegetables offered, veggie burgers at the grill, veggie pizzas at the pizza place, really great pasta's in the dining room along with some great veggie spring rolls. It never seemed too much of a challenge. Even during the sushi day they offer veggie sushi rolls also. Not sure if your a fish eater but there's lots of fish onboard, always something being served. Now I knew some of the things included butter or eggs, but I was okay with that. However, if you mark that you are a strict vegan, any of your meals prepared in the dining room will not be prepared with any type of by product. Of course this only goes in the dining room. Don't worry, there will be lot's of food for you! I gained weight on that cruise!!! :D

There are vegetarian options on the menu at every meal.

However, if you want true vegan, speak to the Matre'd or headwaiter in your dining room. Each night he can bring you the next day's menu and work with you to select items that will suit your needs. In some cases, they may be able to specially prepare something differently that will be true vegan.

Thanks! :)

I'm pretty darned strict about it at home -- though when I'm out, if I order a taco salad, for instance, without cheese, and it comes with a few shreds of cheese on it (the cook tried to scoop it all back off after throwing the handful on), I'll not squawk about it. I will occasionally indulge in baked goods that have an egg in the whole batch (1 egg = 6 rolls, or regular noodles, for instance), or have milk products as the last ingredient in the list. I'm pretty 'forgiving' about honey, as well, though I will not buy any for home use.

I love veggie sushi! I've even made them, myself :)

I love spring rolls, too!

I'm hoping that getting a vegetarian pizza sans cheese is easy enough... I do this locally, as we do love pizza :p

I don't eat fish, chicken, and I can no longer tolerate the taste of butter :eek:... it's been so long, that when I was at a wedding dinner, the butter on the veggies smelled rancid to me... everyone else was fine with it, but my senses have changed.

I do wonder if they stock the perfect vegan butter substitute: Earth Balance...

I am Vegan and one of the reasons I selected Princess is that they do specificially have a Vegan option which they support. I've heard good things from other Vegan travelers who have had positive experiences getting no hastle Vegan food on Princess.

I am completely strict Vegan meaning NO animal products whatsoever and I'm going to Alaska on Princess in July w/ My son :)

I was just on the Dawn and in the buffett for breakfast and lunch, the labels over the dish would list ingredients and did not list any meat in them. But when I started to dish it up, sure enough, I would find ground beef. I mentioned it but they just looked at me. Also, the soups in the buffet, they are usually chicken or beef stock.

Archived