How different is an Alaskan cruise vs Caribbean?

My mom is booking an Alaskan cruise 9/08 and I have no idea what to tell her about what to expect. I can tell her all about the ship and how to get around but I'm just curious about the differences. What is the "feel" of the trip? I'm used to FooFoo Drinks and Belly Flop contests! Since we're from FL & a tourist town we don't get too excited about ports. A cruise is just a week off of work for us right now. Help!

but I have cruised twice to Alaska, so you can tell her:

- The scenery is gorgeous and visible from the ship virtually the entire trip.

- excursions can be worthwhile in order to get into the wilderness or see wildlife

- for shopping, most can be done by simply walking off the ship

Absolutely no comparison - apples and oranges. Alaska is an experience like no other I think. Carib cruises are great and so was Alaska but they are very different.

Alaska is all about scenery and wildlife - no pool games - but you can have foo foo drinks anytime.

They will love it.

We have done 1 Caribbean and 1 Alaska cruise. The big difference was the type of people cruising. Definitely a much older crowd for Alaska and not as much of a party atmosphere as the Caribbean. Expect cool weather and more chance of rain, but the scenery is spectacular and we did a wildlife excursion were we saw whales, sea lions and many eagles.

It is definitely a very enjoyable cruise and I'm sure they will have a great time.

I've been on several Caribbean cruises and getting ready to take an Alaskan cruise. I was wondering the same thing myself. I will miss sitting out by the pool and all the deck events.:( But, everyone seems to enjoy the Alaskan cruise, so here's hoping for a good time.

I have been to the Panama Canal and to Alaska. We enjoyed both cruises but the Alaska cruise was more about the excursions and seeing as much as you could. On the PC cruise we were able to relax more and spend time in the warm sun. There were more sea days, which we liked.

I guess the biggest difference was the weather. As some one else said, Alaska is cooler and we really didn't have any sit by the pool and tan days.

While I'd LOVE to see Alaska, I can't bear the thought of a vacation with no tan and warm weather! (This is why I don't ski!!!)

Friends who have done the Alaska thing have loved it, but I just can't bring myself to do it--yet!

We got some of the flavor of Alaska doing South America, where we got to see glaciers, mountains, condors, penquins, sea lions, and the beautiful natural scenes, but we, also, got Ipanema, Iquacu Falls, Macchu Picchu, and Buenos Aires. I am saving Alaska for when I have a bit more grey hair (not that is that far off now!). :D

jc

I say it depends on your personality. There are people out there that are very content doing the same thing, year after year, going back to the Caribbean and the warm weather.

While I've cruised the Caribbean more than any other type of cruise (mostly because of cost, sometimes because of who we've been on vacation with (i.e., family)), the most memorable cruise I ever was on was to Alaska on the Radiance. The scenery was stunning, and non-stop the entire cruise. Being younger at the time (early 40's), we went on some exciting excursions, including a trek on the Mendenhall Glacier where they outfitted us with full climbing gear, helicoptered us onto the glacier, and gave us instruction on proper techniques, etc. It was the most amazing thing I ever did! I was able to kneel down and drink from pure pools of glacier water.

I initially didn't want to go on this cruise. In fact, I think my words to my wife at the time she mentioned she wanted to do this cruise were something like "..Well, then you'll be going by yourself." I came around, and boy, was I glad I did. Like most things, she was right and I was wrong! ;)

My son and his wife reluctantly joined us after cruising only to the islands. They loved it! When we went the first time I was sick of the heat (we live in Texas) and looking for a cool spot for July 4th. When I went the 6th time it was because there were still things I hadn't done yet and wanted to spend 14 days on the repo cruise in September. It is a breathtakingly beautiful, rustic, wilderness with eagles and whales and bears and moose. The air is crisp and clean, the railroad in Skagway is historic with awesome views. The logging camps and waterfalls along the way are remote and rugged. It's a beautiful cruise.

The Caribbean (in my eyes) is more about relaxing.. there is stuff to do in the ports, but you can usually find it in other places too. Also, once you leave port I don't think much about not looking outside.

Alaska is all about:

1.) The scenery... always changing, and I hated going back in the cabin (even though I was cold).. hearing the glaciers calving, watching an eagle land on ice... it was all amazing.

2.) The activities... the excursions, while expensive, are not anything like you'll experience anywhere else. They may also be longer, and more strenuous....but very well worth it.

Having done 3 Caribbean and one Hawaii cruises I thought I would miss the time by the pool and the beaches. I did not have time to miss these things. The scenery was beautiful and constantly changing and the ports were enchanting. The atmospere on the ship was a little quieter, but still a party going on. My sister and I did a number of excursions you can not experience anywhere else. We even snorkled in Ketchikan. Loved the kelp forest. I loved it so much, I am going back this year with my DH. The one thing I did change was what to do while at sea. When in the warmer climates, I sit by the pool reading (ok, more like napping). This time I splurged and spent some time at the spa. (Now a definite must do on every cruise.) Alaska is very different but well worth the effort. Dress in layers, take a light rain jacket and enjoy the natural beauty.:D

Saw that word used alot in the replies.

Note, you can easily experience COLD since you are going in Sept. Like someone said, dress in layers, be ready for rain (rain gear).

Far more casual, far more jeans (that makes some folks crazy and others smile).

Also, the seas are calmer.
Ha! Maybe if you're cruising round-trip out of Seattle or Vancouver. But if you're doing north-or-southbound and crossing the Gulf of Alaska you might encounter some rougher conditions. We had 20 foot seas on Radiance. We were rocking so much the sliding glass door to our balcony slammed on my hand. OUCH!

I think Alaska is a far better cruise. We have cruised 3 times and going back for a 4th this year. We have also cruised Caribbean 6 times and also cruising it again this year. Instead of towels around the pool you get blankets. Instead of foo foo drinks on the deck they sell coffee with liquors (on the glacier days). The shops sell northwest type items. The air smells so good!!! It is truely the last frontier and not to be missed. If possible, do not do a round trip from Seattle, you don't get as far north. Vancouver is where you need to round trip from or start or stop your cruise. They will love it!

They are like night and day. It was a completely different cruise experience. No poolside activities - no Sexy Legs or Belly Flop. The Pool Bar wasn't even open most of the time. HOWEVER, this heat lover did really enjoy herself, and I will do Alaska again. ;)

thank you for all the great posts! I'll keep checking back to see if there is new information. Mark actually keeps asking about going to Alaska so maybe next Labor Day (09)! it sounds very beautiful and ...romantic! (blankets and coffee) . which side of the ship should we book if leaving from Seattle??

15 summers in Alaska and not even close to seeing everything. I don't think that is possible.

As several have said, no comparison. You go to Alaska to see everything possible. Take lots of tours, spend time bundled up on the deck, lots of time, as there is SOOOOOO much to see. However you may get a break and find the weather very mild and pleasant, that is just as possible. (78 in Juneau last year?)

I love the total relaxation of the Caribbean, but also love the endless days and stunning back drop of Alaska.

Enjoy every minute of it. (Look out, you may wind up wanting to go back over and over)

This year (16th) already planned and waiting.....

thank you for all the great posts! I'll keep checking back to see if there is new information. Mark actually keeps asking about going to Alaska so maybe next Labor Day (09)! it sounds very beautiful and ...romantic! (blankets and coffee) . which side of the ship should we book if leaving from Seattle??

Psstt...go from Vancouver. They do the Inside Passage, which is more scenic, and don't dock in Prince Rupert, which is a waste of a port. Or, the Seattle cruises will dock in Victoria at dinnertime on the last day. If you go from Seattle, I believe they sail around the west coast of Vancouver Island, where it is rougher. I am sure all the Seattle people are about to shoot me...:o ducking and running...

I keep asking myself " Tell me why I am going to Alaska?" It is cold here still and we are getting snow, granted it is not sticking, but with it being 32F at night and only in the high 40's in the day time, I must have be nuts to book an Alaskian cruise. But we are going for the relaxing trip and the ship and the sceanery will be a perk, we love the mountains and have never been big beach fans. I just hope it is as beautiful as everyone has said it is.

On the count down, only 37 more days:D

Archived