I have jumped ship-Pearl to Westerdam

Yesterday I was booked on the NCL Pearl 8-17-08 leaving from Seattle. Today I jumped ship and I'm now booked on the Westerdam 8-17-08 also leaving out of Seattle. You ask why???? First, $$$$$ I saved $1500 on our cabin. We went from an AE aft penthouse to a VH guarantee, but the savings will pay for so many of the trip related costs. With the tight economy and 2 kids in College, I had to save somewhere. A guarantee balcony cabin on HAL was cheaper than just going down to a balcony category on the Pearl. So, all you HAL fans, I need some support, tell me I did the right thing. Tell me my cruise experience will be just the same. Tell me that a balcony on HAL is better than a aft penthouse on NCL. Lie to me, if you have to.:eek: I need so moral support. The only thing that I can see that I have had to give up is cabin size, a few suite perks and Sitka instead of Skagway- (that one hurt the most). I now off the the Alaska board to learn everything I can about Sitka.

Thanks,

disneydiane61

You did the RIGHT thing!!! You are going to so enjoy the understated elegance of the ship. And Alaska? Well, whats not to like about Alaska. It will be your dream vacation - I promise!!

Sitka, in my opinion, is the most beautiful and picturesque of all the destinations on the cruise. Be sure to be on your verandah sailing into port. Its like a dream - mystical and magical, a quaint little fishing town with so much history and allure.

Enjoy, enjoy!!! I'm smiling for you!

As you can see from my signature, we are fans of the Westerdam. HAL will frequently upgrade. We booked a VF to Alaska on the Oosterdam, leaving late May. We recently received our room--a VA.

Sitka is my favorite port. May I suggest these things? If you would like to walk on your own, you might consider visiting Totem Pole park and the Raptor Center. The totem park has a wonderful flat trail through the forest. Stop by the park ranger station and pick up a booklet (for free) that tells all about the meanings of the various totems you will see. On the far side of the park you can cross a highway and go to the raptor center where you can see rehabilitated bald eagles up close. On the way to the totem park, you might want to stop by the aquarium at the university.

If you like wildlife, consider going out with Davey of Esther G. We saw all kinds of wildlife including puffins, bald eagles, whales, otters, seals, starfish, cormorants, muir, etc. We were there late July last year/early August. Here is a link:

http://www.puffinsandwhales.com/

Here is another link for Sitka:

http://www.sitka.org/attractions.html

Sitka is not covered up with jewelry stores. It is just a real "down to Earth town". You might also go to the top of the hill where the Russian ruler used to live. The view is gorgeous! There is also an old church in town that is beautiful. The stores for shopping are my kind of stores. Good prices, good variety, not just a bunch of jewelry. I LOVE this town!

Archived