Shuttle or Train from Vancouver to Seattle

Jen & Kim

I have 2 questions regarding transportation from Vancouver to Seattle post-cruise.

1. We were going to take the shuttle leaving at 10am but now that I've been reading about the border crossing problems I'm thinking about booking the train leaving at 5:45pm. Would we be better off taking the train even though it leaves later?

2. What can we do with our luggage from the time we leave the ship until it's time to board the train? The thought of lugging our luggage around Vancouver is not very pleasant.

Thanks for your help!

I have 2 questions regarding transportation from Vancouver to Seattle post-cruise.

1. We were going to take the shuttle leaving at 10am but now that I've been reading about the border crossing problems I'm thinking about booking the train leaving at 5:45pm. Would we be better off taking the train even though it leaves later?

2. What can we do with our luggage from the time we leave the ship until it's time to board the train? The thought of lugging our luggage around Vancouver is not very pleasant.

Thanks for your help!

We won't know the impact of the construction of the new US customs station at the Peace Arch crossing until into next week but regardless it is the truck crossing that the busses use and they use a dedicated lane so it may have little impact on the shuttle. That said the train is a very nice trip. If you decide to take the train then you can check your bags at the cruise terminal with CDS Baggage and pick it up prior to touring or take it to the Amtrak station check it with a service there. The train station option is the least desirable as you are wasting time going and comming from the station before you start your tour.

http://www.cdsbaggage.ca/CDS/Home.html

Also do a search on TRAIN in the west coast departures forum. you will find plenty of posts there about the train and luggage questions.

We first grabbed a cab and took our luggage to the the train station, paid a small fee to store them, then took the Skytrain (across the street) back to town to walk around the have lunch etc. Then just caught teh SkyTrain back when ready to claim our bags and get checked in.

Also do a search on TRAIN in the west coast departures forum. you will find plenty of posts there about the train and luggage questions.

We first grabbed a cab and took our luggage to the the train station, paid a small fee to store them, then took the Skytrain (across the street) back to town to walk around the have lunch etc. Then just caught teh SkyTrain back when ready to claim our bags and get checked in.

What you did is definately an option depending what kind of touring you are doing but it is kind of a double effort going back forth.

This is wasting at least an hour. I still recomend just storing your bags at Canada Place.

Last time we took the train, we stored our bags at Canada Place, then chose to do the Hop on/Hop off bus around the city for the day which stops right outside. We really enjoyed this option since we got to see many areas of Vancouver as well as get a commentary of the city. If you do the full circle on the hop-on/off bus you'll end up back at Canada Place to pick up your luggage before the you head to the train station. We had plenty of time to see all the sights and spend quite a bit of time in Stanley Park and Granville Island area (had lunch there), as well as Chinatown. It was a great option and gave us the day in Vancouver that we would have never been able to do if we took the shuttle. Plus... the train ride is very scenic and relaxing, following the coastline most of the way. If you have never seen Vancouver before this is a great way to spend the day. The train is also about half the cost of the shuttles, so after paying for the luggage hold & taxi over to the train station you just about break even on the cost. We were very happy with our decision to take the train instead of the shuttle.

Archived