carseats needed in the caribbean?

kat89447

We are leaving in a couple of weeks to go to Tortola, BVI, Samana, DR and San Juan, PR. My sister has a dd that is two and we are wondering if carseats are needed in any of these ports. I have read on here that some ports and taxis don't even give you the option and are not equipped to buckle these in. She is looking at buying one of those carseats that convert into a stroller and it is pricey, but convienent. I told her that I would find out for her since there are so many wise parents on here. She doesn't want to go to the extra expense if it won't be used very much and will just pack her regular one and store it and bring an umbrella stroller instead. Thanks in advanced and all other ideas are welcomed.

Just returned from San Juan, St. Thomas and Tortola. These are just my observations...

San Juan -- there are conventional taxi's and yes - they do have seat belts

St. Thomas -- The majority of the Taxi's are open air Jitney's. These are small "buses" that have 4 or 5 rows of seats and open sides. There were a few closed in 15 passanger vans, set up as taxi's but the two that we inquired about did not have seatbelts.

Tortola -- much like St. Thomas... Open air Jitney's for the most part.

We were very skeptical travelling with our 17 month old niece... In San Juan we just walked around -- the stroller was a blessing - but it is rough with the cobblestone streets (although Livvy - the baby, loved the bumping along).

For St. Thomas, we took a tour on one of the open Jitney's. Livvy wanted to sit on the seat by herself, so she was placed between two large adults and we both kept a hand on her at all times.

Tortola, it was one of the Jitney's again. She did just fine.

A few months ago, it was suggested that you should take along a snugly and put the baby/toddler into that when you are actually travelling in the open vehicles. This way, the child is safer then sitting on their own and you still have 2 hands to hold on yourself. We left ours in our van before embarking on the ship - so didn't have it with us.

I also found that the drivers we had were exceptional. They knew we were travelling with a baby and our special needs son and they didn't drive as crazy as they normally tend to.

Certainly, I would have been more comfortable had we been able to use the car seat -- but if this is the case -- you may want to make arrangements before you go to make sure there will be a vehicle waiting for you that can accomodate it.

Thanks a bunch. It's pretty much as I thought. I didn't want her to go to an extra expense to only find out she would still need to pack the umbrella stroller. I figured PR would be the same as here since they are a territory but I had my doubts about the other islands. They are from St. Louis and are used to the cobble stones and love the bumps. lol Should remind her of home. I will let her know.

I just found a booster seat that goes from 30-100 lbs (most boosters are 40+ lbs), so I got two for my kids. Costco brand, found at WalMart, $15/per. I wouldn't use it every day, but for a trip so I don't have to lug a couple of enormous 5-point Britax seats--heck yeah.

very cool about the carseats, I don't blame you one bit for getting them for the trip. You wouldn't have to worry about them getting beat up and hopefully they are lighter to carry as well.

Personally, I wouldn't step foot in one of those taxis without a car seat. It's the only time in my life that I have feared for my life. Those Caribbean taxi drivers make New York city taxi drivers look safe. :eek: ;)

Winding mountain roads, built for one car, no guiderails...and the taxi drivers playing chicken with buses. :eek:

In St. Thomas and Martin, there are always loads of normal taxis lined up at the port.

I have to agree with Cruisinmama.

There are always taxis at the port in St. Thomas where you can utilize a car seat. I've been there numerous times with and without children and always use taxis. I wouldn't ride in an open air jitney stateside, let alone in the Caribbean.

When you see the driving habits, you will understand.

Puerto Rico, St. Thomas and Tortola all have car seat laws. I'm not sure about the DR, but why jeopardize your child's safety?

You may have to wait a taxi or two for workable seat belts, but your child's safety is at hand.

I've used the Sit'n stroll - one of the best investments i've made. They hold there value pretty well for resale on ebay. There are other portable car seats that also work very well.

Have a wonderful, safe trip!

wondering if carseats are needed in any of these ports

"NEED" and "PARENTAL COMFORT" are two different things. We did not ever NEED carseats anywhere in the Carib--never would we be turned away from a taxi if we did not use one. However, taxis there, as in most places in the world, will drive as fast as the traffic will let them to make a few extra bucks. Are you comfortable with your child not strapped in? Answer that and you have your answer.

She is looking at buying one of those carseats that convert into a stroller and it is pricey, but convienent. I told her that I would find out for her since there are so many wise parents on here. She doesn't want to go to the extra expense if it won't be used very much and will just pack her regular one and store it and bring an umbrella stroller instead.

If you are talking about the Sit N Stroll, don't waste your money. We bought one for my son who--at the time--was 8 months old. He was about 75th% on the charts and he BARELY fit the seat when used as a car seat. He cried when we strapped him in because the strap was cutting into his fat, little legs. And the thin wheels on the sit n stroll are useless on the uneven, sometime cobblestone streets of the Caribbean. After that experience we ALWAYS bring a stroller with nice, big wheels to get up and over the rough terrain and can roll on some packed sand of beaches. A fully reclining seat on a stroller is a necessity for naptimes.

My 2 cents. ;)

I think some of you misunderstood my question. I was inquiring about if it was even possible to use carseats. I had been hearing stories about how taxi's didn't have seatbelts in the taxi's to be able to hook a carseat into. My DD 10 still uses a booster at home because I am over protective. She is just 4 ft tall and about 50 lbs. My sister was trying to decide if she should go with the carseat that has handle and wheels that pull out or just use her regular seat and bring an umbrella. I didn't want her to go to an additional expense if we were going to be strolling everywhere without the taxi option. I guess I should have just asked if transportation in the islands have seat belts lol.

We had no problem using our carseat, all the taxis we got had seatbelts. Only thing was the pain in the butt carrying it from the ship to the taxis. Word of warning, in St. Thomas the taxi driver tried to scam us because of the carseat. It was a van and he tried to make us pay $75 for a ride to Saphire Beach (usaully $10 a person) because he said he wouldn't be able to take anyone else with us. We just got out and grabbed a different cab without any problem.

thanks for the heads up on the taxi scam. At least now I know they actually DO have seatbelts. I kept hearing how the taxi's didn't even have those so you could hook the seats in. My sister decided to get the rolling carseat so luckily we won't have to carry the seat everywhere. Thanks for all the help.

thanks for the heads up on the taxi scam. At least now I know they actually DO have seatbelts. I kept hearing how the taxi's didn't even have those so you could hook the seats in. My sister decided to get the rolling carseat so luckily we won't have to carry the seat everywhere. Thanks for all the help.

One tip for finding the seat belts --- look behind the seats in vans, the belts fall thru to the other side.

If your sister is getting the rolling carseat - sit n stroll - the only place it doesn't work well in is on the beach - (most strollers don't - you need a big wheeled humungous stroller to handle sand). All you do is fold up the wheels and carry it. No big deal. My daughter has traveled all over the US and Caribbean, Mexico. It has served her well. It has worked on cobblestones from St. Thomas to Boston to New orleans and points in between.

My daughter is in the 80th percentile for girls (different than boys). She was never cut by any of the straps etc. It was wonderful if she fell asleep in it on the way from the beach. Just unbelt the stroller from the car (taxi) and put the wheels down, wheel her to the room continuously sleeping for the next hour or two. I guess children are built differently.

It was a sad day when she out grew it on our last trip to NO.

I think the people that don't find the seat belts really don't look for them. Just seek and you will find!

Have a great vacation!

I will let her know the tips on the sit and stroll. It arrived today and her daughter loves it. My sister says it looks like a lazy boy on wheels lol. Her daughter is fairly small for her age, she was a preemie (26 wker) but is probably just over 50 percent by the standards on size. They are doing all beaches, so I will warn her about the wheels and sand. It's been snowing/raining here so I am ready to hit a beach even if I have to carry it for her. :D

Archived