Question about Baja California cruise

Ellie78

We would like to take the 4 night Royal Caribbean Cruise leaving from San Pedro going to Ensenada, Catalina & San Diego in September. Has anyone taken this cruise at this time? I'm asking b/c technically this is hurricane season but I'm not sure if this location is so affected by it. TIA

We would like to take the 4 night Royal Caribbean Cruise leaving from San Pedro going to Ensenada, Catalina & San Diego in September. Has anyone taken this cruise at this time? I'm asking b/c technically this is hurricane season but I'm not sure if this location is so affected by it. TIA

Not a problem at all. We live in Orange County and all 3 ports are within 120 miles. There can be tropical storms (not hurricanes) farther south in the Cabo / Puerto Vallarta / Mazatlan area more than 500 miles away. The most that happens in this area is a high overcast, very occasional and brief showers, and gnarly surf on our beaches.

BTW I was mountain bike riding this evening and Catalina was off in the distance...it's still there safe and sound. :D

We don't get hurricanes in Southern California. We might get a few bands of showers from a hurricane in southern Baja, but I wouldn't worry about that. September will probably be Hot Hot Hot! No rain.

Seriously?

Not only no hurricanes, no rain...

September is usually among the hottest times of the year...

Typhoons (the Pacific version of the hurricane--usually nowhere as bad as the hurricanes back east) only rarely get as far north as Cabo...

Ensenada is only about an hour's drive south of the border...It's pretty much the same climate as LA and San Diego...

We all put away our umbrellas in May and then can't find them again...When the first chance of rain comes in October, we need to go out and buy new ones...

Yup, it only rains here about 15 days a year, mostly during October-April...and even then it's rarely heavy rain...Annual average rainfall is only 11 inches per year...

For September, pack shorts and t-shirts, sunblock and a hat...

This is really an Alta California cruise, not Baja. You are barely on the Baja peninsula in Ensenada, and of course Catalina and San Diego are both in Alta California (ie, the USA).

September is usually our best weather. If there are storms in the eastern Pacific, you might get some bigger waves, and some humidity, but rain would be most unusual. Most of the Zonies have gone home by then too, so there is more room to park at the beach and fewer crazy tourists driving on the freeways! Definitely plan on shorts, but at sea it can still be cool, so a light sweater is a good idea for a late evening stroll on the deck.

We all put away our umbrellas in May and then can't find them again...When the first chance of rain comes in October, we need to go out and buy new ones...

Yup, it only rains here about 15 days a year, mostly during October-April...and even then it's rarely heavy rain...Annual average rainfall is only 11 inches per year...

For September, pack shorts and t-shirts, sunblock and a hat...

Wow, you have actually OWN(ed) an umbrella!?!? LOL! :D

Steve is right - September is (or was :p ) our best kept secret! My favorite month of the year!

I bought my truck in late 2005 and the washer fluid reservoir is still half full ! :D Hope all my fellow Californians are staying cool, it's still 78 degrees outside. I'm staying close to the fridge full of Hefeweitzen and Pinot Grigio!!

:DHow true that is! Just this past February I was at CVS in the pouring rain buying umbrellas for the family. Now where did I put them?:p

If you can find a similar short cruise that goes to Cabo, rather than Ensenada, I'll bet you would find it a LOT more interesting. But don't ask me about the weather...

I would second the recomendation for Cabo over Ensenada... I know the Carnival Elation does year round 4/5 day trip there from here in San Diego. I believe the pricing is just a bit more than the Ensenada runs.

Next year, Royal Caribbean is bringing Radiance of the Seas to San Diego to do the 4 and 5 day cruises to Cabo and Ensenada.

We are already booked for the Sept. 30, 2009, 4 dayer to Cabo. We don't think Ensenada is anything special, and we wouldn't get off the ship, so we chose the 4 dayer.

It will be very hot, but I am excited for this cruise.

Pat

Amazingly' date=' our umbrellas are in the kitchen. Don't know why. Not going to rain today with 10 per cent humidity.[/quote']

Boy, what a difference a few days make! Yesterday, rain, snow in Big Bear, tornadoes! Today more rain. Where DID I put those umbrellas? I'm soaked!:D

Boy, what a difference a few days make! Yesterday, rain, snow in Big Bear, tornadoes! Today more rain. Where DID I put those umbrellas? I'm soaked!:D

On Thursday, we didn't see any rain, but there was a thunderstorm. Yesterday, there was plenty of rain. Thought it was March again.

On Thursday' date=' we didn't see any rain, but there was a thunderstorm. Yesterday, there was plenty of rain. Thought it was March again.[/quote']

At work (on Friday) I looked out the windows to the north - it was snowing. I looked out the windows to the east - it was bright and sunny. I looked out the windows to the south - there was a thunderstorm. I looked out the windows to the west and all I saw was a brick wall. :D

Archived