Driving from Seattle to Vancouver ???

thecook

Hi everyone,

We are arriving in Seattle Sat. June 14 @noon and renting a car to drive to Vancouver for our cruise to Alaska on the Volendam that leaves on Sunday. I would estimate arriving at the border around 4pm. My question is, would we be better to cross the border at Blaine or Aldergrove? I have read that although a bit our of the way, Aldergrove has no wait lines. Thank you in advance for any helpful hints:D

As a rule, entering Canada is usually pretty quick and easy. We use the Pacific crossing at Blaine, also known as the truck crossing. It has two Duty Free shops on the US side. Once you cross the border you drive maybe a mile or so and there is a intersection that will let you turn left and head over to Highway 99, the main road to Vancouver.

Coming back into the US is never easy as the wait to cross the border is usually a 45-60 minute wait. There is a ton of Canadian traffic coming into the US as the Canadian money is at par with the US dollar of even a bit better. You can see the effect at the Outlet Malls in our area.

I have to say that I NEVER cross at Blaine if I can help it. We always go around to another crossing where we can drive right up, check through, and be moving again. It takes a little longer than if you can get right through on I-5, but I get very impatient sitting stuck in traffic, and I've ALWAYS had traffic trying to cross at Blaine. For me, I just build in the extra time to drive around. I haven't been in awhile though, so can't give you any recent recounts.

Keep in mind that crossing the border on a weekend will usually take longer than during the week.

We live just 6 miles from the Sumas crossing and even that one has wait times of from 15-20 minutes at times.

One thing to keep in mind is the time it can take on the weekend to drive from Aldergrove into Downtown Vancouver, if that's where you're staying pre-cruise. You may end up spending as much time driving into downtown Vancouver as you would sitting at Blaine.

If you want to get an idea of wait times, here are some websites:

http://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/general/times/menu-e.html

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/border/

http://www.borderlineups.com/

If you're bringing a laptop, you could check wait times as you set out. If not, you might want to check these sites on Saturday around 4p.m. over the next couple weeks, to get a feel for how things are moving.

Hi everyone,

We are arriving in Seattle Sat. June 14 @noon and renting a car to drive to Vancouver for our cruise to Alaska on the Volendam that leaves on Sunday. I would estimate arriving at the border around 4pm. My question is, would we be better to cross the border at Blaine or Aldergrove? I have read that although a bit our of the way, Aldergrove has no wait lines. Thank you in advance for any helpful hints:D

Please do not take this question wrong but I am just curious. I take it you are flying in from Florida. I am curious as to why you would not fly directly to Vancouver rather than fly to Seattle, rent a car, then drive:confused: If it is that you want to tour and see the sights of the area OK I understand that. I am just curious. I have seen people ask this quesion before. We have cruised out of Vancouver twice and found it to be very simple to take a flight right into Vancouver. Of course we are very lucky to have Air Canada come into Las Vegas and give us excellent Non stop service.

It just seems like such a hassle to get there when you can fly there. Please take no offense I am just curious:o

Lisa, perhaps I should let the OP answer themselves, but likely it has to do with price. U.S. domestic air is much less expensive than flights in/to Canada.

Although Detroit is also my closest airport, my flight costs from there are half of flying from Toronto.

Lisa, perhaps I should let the OP answer themselves, but likely it has to do with price. U.S. domestic air is much less expensive than flights in/to Canada.

Although Detroit is also my closest airport, my flight costs from there are half of flying from Toronto.

You could be right I just looked thru orbits and found that flights from FLL to Vancouver were running from $570 to $1000 where from FLL to Sea Tac it was $300 to $600 range. But the hassle factor of driving, renting a car which cost money, refilling that rental car with gas and just the extra time I think I would rather spend the extra money. Although it did tick me off to see prices from FLL to Sea Tac so cheap, I wish I could find prices from LAS to FLL that cheap for our December cruise:( :mad:

We somethimes go the other way, SEA-FLL return. Usually it is anywhere from $275-$375CAD. YVR Vancouver-FLL is usually about $740. CAD. return. When there are two or more the savings can be significant. Mind you, we do not rent a car. We do get a hotel and they let us park our car for free for 10 days or so.

No offense taken...cost was the factor...there are 5 of us going on the cruise....so splitting the cost of driving saved us a lot of $$$ that we can spend on fun:D

By the way, DH and I have been enjoying your daily updates on HAL ships with webcam links...Thanks

This is our first cruise (VERY EXCITED)so I have been soaking up all the information provided by the friendly people on this board.

I have to say that I NEVER cross at Blaine if I can help it. We always go around to another crossing where we can drive right up, check through, and be moving again. It takes a little longer than if you can get right through on I-5, but I get very impatient sitting stuck in traffic, and I've ALWAYS had traffic trying to cross at Blaine. For me, I just build in the extra time to drive around. I haven't been in awhile though, so can't give you any recent recounts.

We drove up to Vancouver for a pre-cruise stay at the Pan Pacific Vancouver Thursday, May 8th. We left our house in Marysville at 10AM, stopped at the Duty Free stores at Pacific Crossing (Blaine truck crossing) waited in line maybe 5 minutes to cross into Canada and were pulling into Canada Place (Pan Pacific Vancouver parking) just a few minutes after noon. Certainly crossing the border on a weekend is going to add some time to the border crossing wait time.

We disembarked from the Veendam at 7:50AM on Friday, May 16th. We were sitting at the Blaine crossing southbound at 9:30AM. We would have been there earlier but there was heavy traffic southbound out of Vancouver until we got past the tunnel that goes under the Frasier River.

There is a border crossing reader board as you approach the crossing and it was showing that the Pacific (truck) Crossing had a wait time of 60 minutes. The Blaine crossing showed 40 minutes. It did take the full 40 minutes to get across the border back into the US. As it was, we were back in our driveway by 11:30AM. There was a ton of southbound Canadian traffic so that made the wait just a bit longer than normal...but it is never easy getting back into the states no matter what day it is. We both have Washington State Enhanced drivers licenses but also carry our US passports. The enhanced drivers licenses have an RFI chip in them and as you approach the customs station the licenses are read by a receiver. The enhanced drivers licenses have the same information implanted into them as the US passports. That being said, the border inspector still swiped our licenses through a card reader and we were cleared to proceed. The whole process took maybe 1 minute if even that long.

I know others may prefer a different border crossing, but for us we will continue to use the Pacific (truck) crossing going into Canada and depending on the wait times we will decide to use the Blaine or Pacific crossing coming southbound.

No offense taken...cost was the factor...there are 5 of us going on the cruise....so splitting the cost of driving saved us a lot of $$$ that we can spend on fun:D

By the way, DH and I have been enjoying your daily updates on HAL ships with webcam links...Thanks

This is our first cruise (VERY EXCITED)so I have been soaking up all the information provided by the friendly people on this board.

Captain Albert is a great master of his ship and his love of Holland America shines throughout the ship. His daily updates are informative and amusing. If you have an opportunity to visit with him, you will be entertained.

Thanks, I enjoy checking out the web cam links so figured others would as well;)

That makes a lot of sense especially if there are 5 of you:) I have not flown to Vancouver since 2006 when we did it twice for 2 different cruises and at that time prices were relatively cheap. For the fun of it I just checked costs from Las Vegas and while it is cheaper to go to Seattle it is not by much about $75.00 PP cheaper and flight times still better to Vancouver. So I guess for us it will still work out better to fly direct. We are currently planning on doing the Zuiderdam out of Vancouver in September 2009, then we will also be doing a repo cruise that ends in Vancouver in May 2009 so will need to start looking at those Vancouver flights cost at the end of this year.

You are going to love your Alaska cruise, Vancouver is definitely once of the most beautiful cities to cruise out of especailly cruising under the Lions Gate Bridge. Canada Place can be a big confusing for embarkation but that is basically because you are doing U.S. Customs which saves having to do it once the ship arrives in your first Alaska port. Once you get to the cruise line check in it is smooth sailing:)

We rented a car from National with drop off at The Pan Pacific Hotel. I also checked with our insurance company..they sent us a card that shows we will be covered in Canada....so I think we are covered :p

We rented a car from National with drop off at The Pan Pacific Hotel. I also checked with our insurance company..they sent us a card that shows we will be covered in Canada....so I think we are covered :p

Here is a picture of the front of the Pan Pacific Vancouver.

DSC_1193.jpg

Here is a view that you will most likely see when you turn onto the street that it is located on.

DSC_1187.jpg

Here is a view from the north side just in case you come in from that direction.

DSC_1194.jpg

If you are going to do a pre-cruise stay there, I have several pictures of a Premium Suite and also some views that you will have.

Have a great time!

Hi everyone,

We drove from Seattle to Vancouver the Sunday of the Labor Day weekend last year. We landed in Seattle around 1 pm and left from there heading north on I-5. We had a very short wait at Blaine; there was a long delay back into the US.

Thank you Terry for the pictures of the Pan Pacific...we are actually staying at the Fairmont Waterfront..will drop the car off and walk across the street.

The Fairmont is also a wonderful place and you will not be sorry. Like you said, just walk across the street and to the Cruise Ship level located at Canada Place and you are set to go. We had our bags picked up at our room and never saw them again until they were delivered to our stateroom. No hassle...no worries.

We drove to Vancouver from the Everett area on Tuesday, May 13 using the I-5 Peace Arch crossing in Blaine. It took about 6 - 8 minutes to get through Canadian customs. This was around noon. On the drive back on Sunday the 18th it took about 32 minutes to get through US Customs at about 9:30AM. The reader board was not accurate, it showed a 90 minute wait.

There's road construction in Bellingham, with one lane closed each way on weekends. The project may be finished in June, check the Washington State DOT site for an update.

Archived