On the way to Alaska -- what is really going on with Regent?

Thanks for the travelogue, your comments and the time you took to keep it going throughout your cruise. Just because we do not always agree doesn't mean your superior efforts are not sincerely appreciated.:)

Truly appreciate your comments.:)

Jackie, we're just home from the same cruise and just wanted to say your comments were right on target.

We have cruised on three of the Regent ships and have enjoyed them all, but we must admit we were really impressed with the overall excellent service and friendliness of the staff on the Mariner on this cruise. It has been several years since we were on the Mariner and we like the changes, especially the coffee cafe area and showers (in some cabins).

The service/friendliness even extended to our tours. Maybe the local folks were as happy as we were about the wonderful weather.

Jackie, sorry we didn't get to meet on this cruise. Hope we will someday in the future.

For the folks on upcoming Alaska cruises -- you'll love it and the scenery is beautiful.

Bobby & Marti

After "returning" to the real world from our wonderful 11 day cruise on the Mariner (the same that TravelCat2 was on), I thought I should check out some other cruise lines to see if we could find a better "fit". We don't drink so all-inlcusive seems a bit of a waste. Host Dan (over on Luxury cruising) and a couple of others suggested Crystal, which, upon review seems way to formal for us.

We had a Horizon View Suite on the Mariner and once you have a balcony like that, I think it is hard to go back to anything else. We had great "neighbors" of similar age and interests, so that made it better, as they are not completely private balconies. The last time we sailed the Mariner was in a PH C class and that is a very nice size room on the Mariner. In addition to the Regent brand products, we had Anachini products in our bath. Anachini much better than the Regent....Perhaps they were trying the Anachini out.

We do not do many ship activities, so we loved all the sea days, and of course, Alaska and sunshine make for a gorgeous vacation. We were invited to the town hall meeting and other Regent focus groups, but it sounds too much like work for me!

I'm thinking our next trip will be Mediterranean Voyager Horizon (Yes, I know about the vibration...I think I can handle it for the trade-off of the balcony!)

Travelcat2, thanks for the live commentary.

Food is somewhat subjective, but I still think many would be interested in your specific opinions.

I found Signatures to be quite salty, and I have read that many times, but I read it only after I mentioned. That caused a lot of others to mention it. At the END of my meal, the waiter said I could have asked for less salt, as all food is cooked to order. Well, NOW I know, so at Christmas I will do just that. Had I known, my good experience at Signatures would have been over the top instead of just good.

I think people like to hear about presentation, plating, service, etc.

How is your itinerary? Are you enjoying it?

Travelcat2, thanks for the live commentary.

Food is somewhat subjective, but I still think many would be interested in your specific opinions.

I found Signatures to be quite salty, and I have read that many times, but I read it only after I mentioned. That caused a lot of others to mention it. At the END of my meal, the waiter said I could have asked for less salt, as all food is cooked to order. Well, NOW I know, so at Christmas I will do just that. Had I known, my good experience at Signatures would have been over the top instead of just good.

I think people like to hear about presentation, plating, service, etc.

How is your itinerary? Are you enjoying it?

We got back from the cruise almost a week ago. This was a Seven Seas Society Summit with a lot of opportunity to speak with Regent executives about the future of Regent, etc. This was the main reason for my posts.

The itinerary (SF-Vancouver) was amazing. The Mariner will not be doing that leg when it respositions to Alaska next year.

We only ate at Signatures once. My filet mignon was perfect -- the escargot was presented in a beautiful way and was much better than I have had on previous cruises. My DH's halibut, on the other hand, was not too good (we had much better halibut in La Veranda). No salt issues at all -- if anything, food was a bit under spiced in Signatures.

Latitudes has incredible spices to accompany the dishes. When we mentioned that we liked spicy food, a spicy sauce was brought to the table. To us, Latitudes is a perfect ethnic restaurant. However, so many people do not like the unusual flavors, that the restaurant will be gone next year.

It really is difficult to discuss food -- not only are tastes different (probably not many people even care about my escargot:-) -- but what some call inconsistancy can really be what food is available for the ship at the time. I assume the halibut we had on our first night was put on the ship in San Francisco. We had more seafood loaded on the ship in Alaska -- this is no doubt what we were served in La Veranda twice.

The only real issues we had with food was the first two days -- although good quality and well-plated, a few items came to the table a bit cool/cold. When we had dinner with the Food and Beverage Manager, we discussed it with him. It improved (I'm sure it had nothing to do with meeting with the manager -- wish I could say it did).

Latitudes is being dumped???????????????????:mad:

That would make me very unhappy!

Basedow

It's going to be a steakhouse (like. . . . do they really need a steakhouse?) We are not very happy about it.:mad:

Archived