On the way to Alaska -- what is really going on with Regent?

FYI the plans will not be submitted to the Apollo board at all..it will be submitted to Prestige Holdings.

Jancruz1

You are, of course, technically correct. However, substantively, it is really a distinction without a difference. Either way, I am wondering about the September vs. June submission.

Sorry Eric, there *IS* a dfference. Apollo's board is not the same as Prestige's board. Sure, there are two Apollo execs on the Prestige Board, but Apollo does not run Prestige.

jancruz1

A couple of issues: the art auctions were terrible-boring, overpriced (5K-180K), and a constant hard sell about what great investments the works were.

Oh nooooo. I haven't taken a Regent cruise yet, but am very interested in several itineraries, and had hoped that the higher price point of Regent cruises would mean they wouldn't need to hold those awful art auctions at all.

Don't worry. The art auctions apparently do exist, but it is very low key. We totally ignored them and were not bothered. We did walk through the pictures and make fun of them a couple of times (some were incredibly bizarre).

First, we had no "signal" today (internet access). So, it's been a while since I've been online.

Re: SSS benefits. In the old days (my words -- not theirs) everyone was entitled to the 5% discount (if they were SSS members). This meant that people with 10 days, 20 days or 500 days received the same benefit. The "tiered" benefits seem more fair. Regent also does not want to have a 5% discount on sailings that typically sell out.

Eric, you're right -- I was frustrated yesterday. Most people are so satisfied with this product -- it just isn't my goal in life to be a Regent cheerleader. I work hard not to criticize other cruise lines. I may say that Silversea is more formal or Seabourn does not have balconies -- this isn't criticism -- just making some comparisons.

The PG -- from what I have heard in the past (and currently on board), it is not that Regent that wants to give up the PG. The negotiations have become more difficult each year. Wish I remembered the exact words -- it was something like ........ we are not confident that the Paul Gauguin will continue after the contract ends at the end of 2009".

Also (re: the PG) we sailed on her prior to the sale in 2004. It was one of our best cruises ever. The product simply is not what it was and, again, I am not comfortable speaking negatively if a cruise line. So, it is more comfortable for me to not discuss the PG.

Suite size ......... this is where my DH sounds like a spoiled brat. The Navigator and Voyager have such large suites. . . . . no one ever complains about the Mariner suites...... therefore, it was a surprise (especially to him) that the suites were "tight". The area in La Varanda is also "tight".

I believe that La Varanda, Latitudes and the pool grill will be changed during Mariner's dry dock in December (I mistakenly said it was January in an earlier post). They have completed 60 or 70 switch-outs from the too-small bathtub/showers to regular showers with two shower heads (one "rain" type). Railing were varnished on this cruise.

This seems to be an ongoing process. I believe I already said that Latitudes will become some sort of steak house. Also, think I said that the Voyager is currently having the wonderful coffee area installed.

Still have no clue about "Regent" branded products or the bartenders in on board. I truly feel that we are receiving the best service that we have ever experienced on Regent. No. ....... not everything is "perfect". . . however, we are having a great time and look forward to our next cruise.

Travelcat

Also (re: the PG) we sailed on her prior to the sale in 2004. It was one of our best cruises ever. The product simply is not what it was and, again, I am not comfortable speaking negatively if a cruise line. So, it is more comfortable for me to not discuss the PG.

Travelcat

It sound pretty negative to me so I think it would be helpful for you to be more specific so that individuals can decide if what you view as a negative would also be a negative for them.

I also really don't understand how you can so definitively make this statement about a ship that you haven't been on for four years. I'm not saying that you are wrong, but again think it would be useful for you to provide specifics. Otherwise, it seems like you are taking a swipe at the product without any cooberation.

John

I believe I am correct in saying that what TC2 is referencing is other people's comments and her dissatisfaction with the reports.

I was not on the PG 4 years ago, but I was on 8 months ago. It was definitely one of the best cruises I have ever taken (and I have taken a lot) BUT it is definitely a different product than the other Regent ships. For example, there are acceptable cabins (not suites), the bathrooms are very acceptable and have tubs (but they are not marble with large square footage) and producing food of similar types and standards are very difficult being based in the middle of the South Pacific in a ship designed for short term cruising. There are other things such as towels, some TVs, etc. that also lag behind the other ships. Entertainment is also different. I could go on, but you get the picture.

In short, it is an excellent experience (and for me even better than on the other present ships), but inconsistent with the other ships.

Also, the negotiations last time kind of came down to the wire. There were many unhappy people both passengers and crew as the end of the PG as a Regent product seems inevitable. However, in the end Regent was able to secure two more years, but let it be known that it might well be the last two. It seems like deja vu all over again.

Guess I have a different take on the issue of negative comments. When I pull up a post, I hope it will be interesting, informative and helpful. Those criteria can apply to posts that are positive, negative, or a mix of the two. And I think most cruise experiences are a combination of the two. No cruise line is perfect. Cruise passengers differ from one another and will have a different take on a particular cruise experience. I want to read both the positive and negative and believe I am quite capable of differentiating between well supported claims, both positive and negative, and those that may be a bit off the wall. Tell me what you think and I'm usually a happy reader. The post I hate to see: "Ditto!"

With respect to the PG, I believe she is the best way to experience French Polynesia and recommend her consistently but with the qualifications. I was on board her for 14 days three years ago with number of other PG repeaters. All agreed that the food quality aboard had diminished from her earlier "glory days." Since then, she has added cabins at the expense of both public and crew space. In short, she ain't what she used to be. The ship is plain Jane. The main bar is too small if you have an active bar crowd on board. The standard cabins are very nice but small. She still does what she does very well but, IMO, with the exception of the quality of the crew doesn't meet the standards of a "luxury cruise ship." Pat

Hi TC2,

It sounds like you are on a world cruise, or at least a segment (70+ days, wow). I would really appreciate your advice. We are a couple in our late 30's/early 40's planning an academic sabbatical year. One option is to spend part of the time on a world cruise. We do have work to do (mostly writing), but my idea would be to bring along the laptops and work for a couple of hours each day. However, we have a few questions:

1) I understand most world cruisers tend to be older - will we feel very out of place or uncomfortable?

2) I'm assuming a longer cruise is less structured than the 1-2 week itineraries I've done - is this right? do you think it is realistic to get some work done in that environment?

3) How important is it to be on a "whole" world cruise? Are people doing only a segment treated like second class, or like "new kids" not welcomed by social groups? If we did a segment is it best to do the first one?

4) has anyone on your sailing developed "cabin fever"? we're a bit worried we may feel shut in or be too inactive if we are on a ship for a month or more

Thanks very much for any advice you can give:)

Hi TC2,

It sounds like you are on a world cruise, or at least a segment (70+ days, wow). I would really appreciate your advice. We are a couple in our late 30's/early 40's planning an academic sabbatical year. One option is to spend part of the time on a world cruise. We do have work to do (mostly writing), but my idea would be to bring along the laptops and work for a couple of hours each day. However, we have a few questions:

1) I understand most world cruisers tend to be older - will we feel very out of place or uncomfortable?

2) I'm assuming a longer cruise is less structured than the 1-2 week itineraries I've done - is this right? do you think it is realistic to get some work done in that environment?

3) How important is it to be on a "whole" world cruise? Are people doing only a segment treated like second class, or like "new kids" not welcomed by social groups? If we did a segment is it best to do the first one?

4) has anyone on your sailing developed "cabin fever"? we're a bit worried we may feel shut in or be too inactive if we are on a ship for a month or more

Thanks very much for any advice you can give:)

Actually TC2 is only on a short cruise of a week, I think.

As for your questions:

1. World cruiser are substantially older...almost without exception. That is not to say it will necessarily be a parade of wheelchairs, but 50's are considered the youngsters. This is true on most lines...simply because most younger people do not have the free time and/or money.

2. I work on my cruises. With internet, international mobile phones and satellite phones it can be done with some efficiency. You just need to be prepared for intermittent service, much slower internet speeds, etc. I, for example, take my personal satellite phone with me and am not opposed (on longer trips only) to finding an internet café near the port to do some work which requires a faster connection. It does compromise a port here or there, but when you gotta work, you gotta work.

3. There is, notably - though not exclusively - on Regent, a definite segregation between those on the full World Cruise and "Seggies". Some find it offensively cliquish, others bothersome, others irrelevant and yet others find a way to break through the barrier.

4. Cabin fever is very difficult to achieve when you have a wonderful views and new ports on such a regular basis. But everyone is different. While I would love to spend 2 weeks at sea with no ports, others find 3 days at sea too much to even contemplate.

Hope this helps.

Regarding the last post -- this is not part of a world cruise -- it's actually a repositioning cruise -- taking the Mariner to Alaska for the summer. You would probably get better information if you started a new thread with the subject of segments.

I have spoken with many people regarding the "age" differences. I am not seeing any issues. Groups of people in the lounges have older and younger guests chatting. It probably depends if you prefer at atmosphere with younger people. It would different if this cruise had a lot of children on it -- older people, younger people, children with little to do.

Correction to a previous post. The day before our cruise, I met the West Coast Sales Director for Oceania -- not Regent. We had a long conversation -- at the end, I felt much more positive about the new ownership (and yes -- Oceania and Regent will remain separate).

I have not heard anyone make reference to "Prestige" -- When I made the statement that Regent will take the plans for the new ship to the board in September, I put in the word "Apollo". When Regent execs. talk about being purchased, they consistently state "by Apollo". This is much too technical for me -- to early in the morning;)

Island Cruiser -- my reviews on the Voyager and Navigator did point out both positive and negative. I don't to sugar coat things -- still, the fact that we had a really bad experience with food on the Navigator could have been taken completely out of context (if someone didn't read the next paragraph which explained that the head chef left the ship suddenly).

This is a 11 night cruise -- the longest we have done to date. After the first five days, time seemed irrelavent. I am no longer concerned about the 24 night cruise we have booked (however, we will be in a larger suite).

There was a question about the coffee area on the Voyager. One of the executives made it sound like it was being done very soon. We do not have access to the Regent executives any longer -- we now just talk with staff (Cruise Consultant, Cruise Director, etc.)

The PG changes happened in 2005. Service, food, etc. went down dramatically in early 2005. It was soon corrected but did not return to what it was in the good old days. The level of service on the PG was amazing -- the food -- cooked to perfection. The way I see it, new cruisers to Regent (or those that cruised mass-market lines) find the PG to be perfect. If you make comparisons to the Voyager, Mariner or Navigator, you will generally find that it is just not up the standards of the other ships. Being in one of the most beautiful parts of the world. . . . still think it's a great ship (based on current reviews).

The scenes outside are just too beautiful (sunny skies, snow-capped mountains) -- think I should get some fresh air. I'll continue posting as long as you all want to hear about it.

Keep posting!

I would note a bit of...'er, humm...irony: You are on the Regent Mariner cruising with the west coast sales director for Oceania who is insisting the brands will remain separate.

As for Apollo vs. Prestige, I really don't know anyone in the industry who considers ownership to be anything other than Apollo. Prestige Holdings is just that...a holding company; a way to segregate assets.

Travelcat,

We enjoy your posts very much and appreciate the time and effort it takes to share your journey and information with us.

Thank you and have a wonderful cruise!

The PG changes happened in 2005. Service, food, etc. went down dramatically in early 2005. It was soon corrected but did not return to what it was in the good old days. The level of service on the PG was amazing -- the food -- cooked to perfection. The way I see it, new cruisers to Regent (or those that cruised mass-market lines) find the PG to be perfect. If you make comparisons to the Voyager, Mariner or Navigator, you will generally find that it is just not up the standards of the other ships. Being in one of the most beautiful parts of the world. . . . still think it's a great ship (based on current reviews).

Ah, the "good old days" on our first Paul Gauguin cruise (in 2000). It set the standard for us, and those standards have not ever been exceeded, not on 2 trips on Voyager, on Diamond, or Navigator. Or the PG itself I might add, although we still love the ship. You're right, it's a stupendous location, and still a nice ship.

Correction to a previous post. The day before our cruise, I met the West Coast Sales Director for Oceania -- not Regent. We had a long conversation -- at the end, I felt much more positive about the new ownership (and yes -- Oceania and Regent will remain separate).

Interesting as there is no West Coast Sales Director for Oceania..do you have a name?

Jancruz1

Hi TC2 - Well I broke my promise by not bothering you with anymore ?'s but wondering if you could please let me know how you liked the Captain's Farewell Party. Of course your post may not be til you get home. We thoroughly enjoyed the last two on the Mariner. There are really some talented people aboard. Counting down to June 18. Love your posts!!!!!!!!!!!

We did Regent World Cruise Segments 2 and 3 this year. Auckland to Shanghai, 30 days on the Vioyager. It was incredible, and we had never cruised longer than 14 days previously. This was our fourth sailing on Regent, and the age group was much older this time. However, the age of the segment traveller was considerably younger than those (over 300 of them) who were on the entire journey.)

Service was superb and we were not treated any differently than the world cruisers. However, they were given the priority reservations for the alternative dining rooms, so we found it a bit harder to get into Signatures and Latitudes. WE LOVED lATITUDES, WE FELT THAT SIGNATURES WAS NOT NEARLY AS GOOD AS EXPECTED.................we personally felt that Compass Rose and Verandah were better than either anyway! Over 30 days, we should have been anle to get more than 2 reservations to these restaurants, but Regent can and will only guarantee one reservation to each per segment.

We never got bored, and there were lots of sea days. We too had to work on our laptops, and we read some great books. The trip was majical; rough seas and all, which is very typical for early in the calendar year.

You will be perhaps the youngest aboard; we are in our late 50's. But you will still have a wonderful time and will enjoy every minute!

Interesting as there is no West Coast Sales Director for Oceania..do you have a name?

Jancruz1

This kind of stuff gets me crazy.:( Information is good, but only if it is good information.

The Regent brand shampoo is manufactured by: Marietta Corp., Cortland, NY 13045 (never heard of them.... have you?):confused:

The person we met in a hotel lounge in Bellingham - - hmmmm, when I write these things, I am not in our suite -- think it's a hassle to take our laptop. Sooooooo, some minute details might be off. I also did not take the business card of the Oceania executive with me on my vacation! He may be Western Regional Director -- he has a "different" first name than I have heard of. Unfortunately, I do not feel it would be appropriate to name him on a board. If anyone chooses to question the fact that we met over a drink and discussed Regent and Oceania -- that is no problem either. Jancruz, I'm sure you would have no difficulty looking it up as you are a TA.

Agree with many comments about the use of space on the Mariner. No one is in Stars Lounge. They are redoing La Veranda. (As well as changing Latitudes -- think "Outback"). I've mentioned previously that I would rather not talk about food -- too subjective. However, we enjoy Latitudes very much and will miss it.

Could not do Tracy Arm today -- too much ice. Did Endicott (probably misspelled) instead. Really beautiful glacier. I am amazed at how the Mariner (and Voyager) can do those u-turns (and in the case of the Mariner, miss all the ice cubes -- aka "groaners" or small icebergs).

Will try to keep posting -- have had a few issues of losing the signal.

Wow, small icebergs--had not thought of that for a May trip!

I've always wondered about Stars Lounge on Voyager as well--it gets used for private functions, and as a waiting room when disembarking. And I guess as a late-night disco. Not really a very useful space, in my opinion.

Interested in what they'll do with Latitudes--would love to try Mariner some day.

Great reports TC, I looked up the Marietta Corp and link is below:

http://www.mariettacorp.com/ Says they are worldwide suppliers to the hotel industry and contract manufacturers. I'm so happy to hear that Regent will be changing the bath products later on as I'm not a fan of their brand.

The Stars Nightclub was always busy on our March Caribbean cruise.....maybe it has to do with the itinerary. Keep posting.....I'm enjoying it!

Pat

Agree with many comments about the use of space on the Mariner. No one is in Stars Lounge. They are redoing La Veranda. (As well as changing Latitudes -- think "Outback"). I've mentioned previously that I would rather not talk about food -- too subjective. However, we enjoy Latitudes very much and will miss it.

Could not do Tracy Arm today -- too much ice. Did Endicott (probably misspelled) instead. Really beautiful glacier. I am amazed at how the Mariner (and Voyager) can do those u-turns (and in the case of the Mariner, miss all the ice cubes -- aka "groaners" or small icebergs).

Will try to keep posting -- have had a few issues of losing the signal.

It's a pity that there was too much ice for Tracy Arm. We're signed up for the catamaran next week, and we would hate to miss it. Maybe things will clear up.

Replacing "Asian fusion", one of our favorite cuisines, with a steak house, one of our least favorite cuisines, would not be an improvement for us. I guess we'll have to enjoy Latitudes while we can.

Have a terrific rest of the cruise. We'll both be in Vancouver on Tuesday, but it's unlikely that our paths will cross as you get off, and we get on, the Mariner.

Please don't turn Latitudes into a steak house. On part of the World Cruise La Veranda was turned into a steak house and I don't think it was that full. A steak is steak and most of us have great steak restaurants were we live. How about turning Latitudes into a regional restaurant where the chef can take advantage of local food stuffs? One of the things I miss when cruising is exploring more local foods. For passengers that are less food adventuresome they still have Compass Rose where I' sure they could get a steak every night if requested.

Archived