On the way to Alaska -- what is really going on with Regent?

Had a Town Hall meeting with Regent execs. today (hope to have focus group on this cruise). The following is their statements (not mine) -- so, please don't blast me (at least not on this one:) ).

Plans for new ship will be submitted to Apollo's Board 9/2008.

The new ship will be 800 passengers (larger suites, more restaurants)

Each current ship will have major upgrades (ranging in cost of up to $17M per ship)

Coffee lounge currently being built on Voyager (the one on the Mariner is a huge hit).

There will probably be NO REGENT SHIP IN FRENCH POLYNESIA beyond 2009. (There are negotiations but it is unlikely)

The reason for so many "new builds" by many cruise lines is the aging of the "baby boomers". Many, many, many, will be turning sixty in the next 3-5 years.

As far as the Mariner? Suites a bit small (compared to other Regent ships). Service 5+. Food -- still under consideration -- only have had room service, Signatures and La Varanda. Condition of ship -- Excellent

Smooth seas, gorgeous weather. . . . life is good;)

Interested in specifics of planned upgrades to Voyager (in addition to coffee area). Will they be done in drydock? Believe it's scheduled for a drydock this fall pervious to next year's World Cruise. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks,

Larry

Hi Jackie,

Thanks so much for the update. I hope you continue to get good weather and the rest of the trip for you is A1. I'm sorry to hear that the PG will not be around after 2009 In FP. I was hoping to maybe get in another cruise on her before she left but that doesn't look likely now. Count me in that boomer demographic. Keep your ears open for any more info please.....anything new about the World Cruise for next year.....maybe?

Pat

The names of the executives are in my suite (don't have my laptop with me). There was a V.P. of revenue and itineraries, -- all Regent executives -- not Apollo (although they explained why they are so happy to have been bought out by Apollo. As a side note, I met the Director of West Coast Sales in a local (Bellingham) restaurant (gave me his card). Had a great conversation with him. He is also very positive about Apollo.

Signatures was not up to our expectations. A few hiccups on our first day (yesterday). We have a "focus group" on Tuesday. . . .

Specifics were not given of upgrades. They were not avoiding the question -- just no one asked the question. I asked about the PG as it is a big issue on CC.

Both world cruises for next year are on (big deal with Regent).

On a personal note, my husband is not happy with the size of the suites on the Mariner. It isn't about being in our suite that much . . . it's more about being able to get in and out of the closet, walking by each other in the bedroom, etc. We are either changing to a Penthouse C suite for our next Mariner cruise or will look at other options. . .

Service is better than we have experienced in the past. Employees seem very happy. While I am not familiar with the ship Song of Flower -- something like that -- top execs. of that "original" ship are now captains of Regent ships. Lots of loyalty. They know that there passengers become "sales" for the product. l

There was also a recent discussion about not having block parties on the Mariner. There will be one in about an hour. . . should be interesting.

It is nice being "Silver" level -- no charge for e-mails:-)''

Will post anything new (excuse typo's -- just did wine tasting).

I am trying to understand the closet and the suite problem.

I am large (not fat ) and my wife is a size 6 and the closet and the suite seemed to have room to navigate in.

In all my years reading the posts I have never heard this comment before.

Jackie, that's the best perk of all......the free internet! I was so happy when we reached that level. The next level seems next to impossible but the free internet is nirvana. If they took that away.........well, I don't even want to contemplate it. I hear you about the size of the closets and manuevering space between certain areas in the room. It didn't bother my husband too much but I noticed it right away and that was one of my questions to myself...........can I spend 24 days like this? 7-14 days would be okay but a longer cruise......well I asked myself that question. To go larger, really is so much more expensive. I understand completely.....about the size and his concern. Can you ask a question of your room steward/stewardess for me please? Is there an egg foam mattress cover available for those that like softer beds? That's encouraging that the Director of Sales is upbeat about the new management. Sometimes it doesn't always go that way......so now you got connections.........hah! Should be interesting to hear about your block party.

Pat

I am probably in the minority in being glad that PG will be leaving the Regent fleet. It is not only built to a different standard, it is managed in a totally different way. From the Captain on down, the PG was the "cruise line," not Regent. There was very little cross of personnel between PG and the rest of the fleet. When we left, instead of inviting us to return to Regent, they invited us to return to PG. I don't think most of the crew (maybe including the Captain) could have told you what the other Regent ships were.

Wendy, "glad" is the wrong word. I should have said that I am not "disappointed." Whether PG is managed by Regent or managed by some other cruise line; I don't think it will greatly impact the level of service and enjoyment of a PG cruise. There is so little synergy between the PG and the rest of the fleet that I don't think it makes a big difference whether Regent manages the ship or someone else.

I enjoyed my one PG cruise. Was the ship up to the level of comfort, service, and food on the other ships...no. Was the cruise a fantastic experience....absolutely. As you remember, when we had the SSS party, almost all attendees were from our group; that is so different than every one of my other Radisson/Regent cruises.

We just finished Fort Lauderdale to SF on the Mariner and now have 70+ days. The trip was spectacular and we found that since the sale to Apollo, the Mariner was as great as ever with no major changes. John Barron as cruise director and right up there with Barry Hopkins. A couple of issues: the art auctions were terrible-boring, overpriced (5K-180K), and a constant hard sell about what great investments the works were.

A bigger issue: we tried to get a second Signitures reservation and we were told the room was completely sold out for 8 days. During that time, we saw lots of empty tables. I made a mini-stink and a table magically became available. I was also told that they are leaning toward only one trip through Sigs and Lats per suite per cruise.

I read more and more about passengers that cant get into specialty restaurants on cruise ships of various lines....

I think it almost sad that there was a time where the main dinng room was so good you didnt need a specialty restaurant.

Makes me wonder why you couldn't have a main room that is fed by different kitchens....

My only issue is having my meal brought to me complete...I miss the old days when they plated the vegetables at your table. The waiter brought you your meat or fish or fowl and then you chose what veggies you wanted and how much from a silver tray. Anyone remember Sitmar table service?

Having these special dining venues make me think that the overall product in the main restaurant can be down graded when it should be right up on top. Fortunately I have been happy with the main rooms on Regent....

Hope everyone gets their reservations as desired.

Anyone remember Sitmar table service?

Sure do remember Sitmar table service...I worked as cruise staff (which means I ate at guest tables) for almost 2 years. YUM! Table side ceasar salad ..."would you care for your salad to be made with anchovy paste or not, miss?" and other special touches....Last year about this time, I found a waiter on Princess who worked on Sitmar and when I introduced myself we had fabulous Sitmar style service every night! He only worked the dining room at dinner because he was the waiter to the captain for breakfast and lunch. The captain? Well, he was only a safety officer on Sitmar back in the 80's, who worked his way up the ranks to Captain on the Caribbean Princess and I believe has now been promoted again to Commodore of the Princess Fleet. Loved everything about Sitmar! Thanks for rekindling those memories! Also, why can't any ship with any line make pizza the way it used to be in the Sitmar Pizzeria? Sorry, that should be another thread ;)

... Whether PG is managed by Regent or managed by some other cruise line; I don't think it will greatly impact the level of service and enjoyment of a PG cruise. There is so little synergy between the PG and the rest of the fleet that I don't think it makes a big difference whether Regent manages the ship or someone else.

... As you remember, when we had the SSS party, almost all attendees were from our group; that is so different than every one of my other Radisson/Regent cruises.

A couple of further comments, Marc.

1. You must remember that the Paul Gauguin is often someone's first cruise on Regent. So the PG has been, in some sense, an upselling point to Regent. This was true for us, for sure, and is quite common.

2. Our first SSS party was on the PG, and there were many savvy Regent cruisers--the gift winner that night had over 100 days (and that was in 2003.)

3. I've met a fair number of dining room staff on both Voyager and Navigator who I met originally on the PG. This includes the maitre'd, Franco. Then there's Hal Fraser, who bops around among the ships, but is now back on the PG.

[quote name=Anyone remember Sitmar table service?

quote]

Do we remember Sitmar? We inaugurated the Fairsky and traveled 3 more times on her. What a classy, fun line. Mr. Vlassok (sp?) had the right idea. We have many fine memories of that ship.

Don't have much time at the moment (but are enjoying the free internet). Re: the PG -- everyone knew that it would eventually leave the fleet. I doubt if it has anything to do with Regent. They are usually the ones begging to extend the contract.

I'll ask about the egg crate things for the bed. As far as the suite size -- I was very surprised -- have not heard this before. We have already upgraded our next Mariner cruise to a Penthouse C. We are not large people -- but, we cannot walk past each other in the front of the bed.

I do love the ship -- it is in fantastic shape -- probably the best service we have ever had. I do feel, however, that space is not utilized well on the Mariner. La Varanda -- very small space for people to walk around the buffet. Other areas (like the lovely coffee room) is open and quite roomy. I'm using the computer outside of the coffee area (by the window) instead of inside the computer room. To me, this is the best area of the ship. JMO.

Retiring........ don't think boomers will retire that early. But, as you get older, you find more time to take longer vacations (kids out of the house, seniority at your place of employment). Boomers have a history of spending money -- it would take quite a disaster to stop this behavior (and hopefully it won't happen).

Regarding the extra restaurants. . . to us, it isn't that one is good and the other aren't. They have a different feel to them. Some people only dine at Compass Rose. We go from place to place. We are rarely hungry at lunch time so we go to La Varanda to have some small portions -- just pick and choose. I don't want to address food too much -- it is too subjective and always ends up with disagreements.

We take off from Astoria, WA in 1/2 hour -- need to go outside and check out the view.

Thank you sooo much for your posts. Really happy you are enjoying yourselves and will look forward to each and every post. Really curious to know, how was the block party????? Also, I can understand you not wanting to comment on the food much, but if you could, which did you like better - Latitudes or Signatures?? If you care to post about that. Keep the info coming as it is very interesting!!

70+ Days! What a luxury! I'm not envious...just wish I were aboard!

I came off my recent Navigator cruise without asking an important question. Perhaps you can field it for me.........who is the supplier of their new toiletries. I love the shampoo and conditioner (yes, an extra bottle of each climbed into my suitcase while I was asleep, but that's about gone). I know that's not a crucial question in the whole scheme of things, but it will be when the bottles are finally empty.

Cheers and good weather.

JoAnne B

Houston

One last question. Do you know if Eduardo (bartender from Colombia) is on board. Has been with the Mariner for a few years or if Andy, also a bartender (good looking guy from Italy) is there?? If so, tell Andy to get ready to "cowboy up". Both so great!!!!! Andy will get the joke. Also, no need to comment on the specialty restaurants. I know, very subjective. I promise I won't bother you again. Enjoy your cruise!!!!!!!!

My wife and I drove from Portland to Astoria Sunday for tour and lunch aboard Mariner. An absolutely gorgeous ship. Wonderful meal. Our tour included a look at the lowest-priced suite. I didn't really notice tight quarters between the bed and the closet, but the very high step into the tub drew a lot of frowns from our group (travel agents and prospective clients). The word is that the "barrier" is being taken out in many rooms and replaced with a walk-in shower, which would be much safer. (All in all, a very nice room. I thought much more ornate than Carnival or HA.)

Hey Joanne:

This has been another change since the Apollo sale. The toiletries used to be Avada, but now are generic "Regent" brand. To be honest, this change is more of an issue for my wife than for me. I'm OK with a bar of Dial and a bottle of Head and Shoulders!

We were on the Mariner Oct/Nov 2007 when the sale was announced. Most of the changes are very subtle and really of no significance.

Bottom line is that both our recent Mariner trips score 9.8 out 10. My wife is more discriminating so she'd go about 9.5/10.

Speaking of the wife, she was VERY impressed with the fitness person, Bebi. She ran a very non-intimidating fitness center. So often they are young 20's and completely buff, but Bebi is at least mid 40's and not very buff, but very fit. The ladies loved her.

Archived